The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 12:36:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 12:36:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Worship On Hold?  (Read 3848 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 08, 2010, 03:16:27 pm »

I've been a dedicant to Sekhmet for quite some time now. Recently, she introduced me to Hethert and told me that she would assist me, as well. Hethert was at first quite happy and excited, but I'm finding it difficult to divide myself between the two goddesses. I thought about putting Hethert on hold until I am better able to figure out how to do the juggling act, much to Hethert's chagrin.  Undecided I was wondering if this is common...? Do other find it difficult (especially with it still being new) to divide the time between (multiple) deities?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 08, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »

I've been a dedicant to Sekhmet for quite some time now. Recently, she introduced me to Hethert and told me that she would assist me, as well. Hethert was at first quite happy and excited, but I'm finding it difficult to divide myself between the two goddesses. I thought about putting Hethert on hold until I am better able to figure out how to do the juggling act, much to Hethert's chagrin.  Undecided I was wondering if this is common...? Do other find it difficult (especially with it still being new) to divide the time between (multiple) deities?

For what it is worth, I'm having issues like this with Sekhmet and Sutekh.  Sekhmet gets the majority of the attention and focus while Sutekh gets what I have time to give.  He lets me know when it isn't enough, believe me!

(Add this knowledge to the dream I had over the weekend that appears to tie into things others have been experiencing, and I am totally overwhelmed ATM.)

I am trying to work through it, the thinking being that I just haven't figured out how to seamlessly integrate both.  Adding another shrine would probably help - I think if each had His/Her own space it might help me pay equal homage rather than thinking of Sutekh as an "afterthought".

*waiting to be smacked now*

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 08, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »

For what it is worth, I'm having issues like this with Sekhmet and Sutekh.  Sekhmet gets the majority of the attention and focus while Sutekh gets what I have time to give.  He lets me know when it isn't enough, believe me!

(Add this knowledge to the dream I had over the weekend that appears to tie into things others have been experiencing, and I am totally overwhelmed ATM.)

I am trying to work through it, the thinking being that I just haven't figured out how to seamlessly integrate both.  Adding another shrine would probably help - I think if each had His/Her own space it might help me pay equal homage rather than thinking of Sutekh as an "afterthought".

*waiting to be smacked now*

I have two shrines, actually. I thought that it would only work if I had two of them, as well. However, Hethert's shrine is over by the windows while Sekhmet is right by my bed. So, the proximity is part of the reason since she's always in my face, so to speak. I was considering moving Hethert's to my side of the room, again, but I seriously don't think that would help.

I think the (lack of a) connection is due entirely to everything that Herhert symbolizes... and I'm just not any of those things. I'm a destroying, scary bitch. I'm not a love, sensual-enducing goddess.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 08, 2010, 04:45:43 pm »

I think the (lack of a) connection is due entirely to everything that Herhert symbolizes... and I'm just not any of those things. I'm a destroying, scary bitch. I'm not a love, sensual-enducing goddess.

Do you truly not have these things inside you or, for whatever reason, are you afraid that if you look for them you will find them?  Have you tried looking? 

You do have one aspect of Hethert...the aspect of Mother. 

I'm not meaning to be flippant in any way, but there is a reason you were pointed/shoved in Hethert's direction.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 08, 2010, 04:47:46 pm »

I'm not meaning to be flippant in any way, but there is a reason you were pointed/shoved in Hethert's direction.

Dionysus has been one of the most important deities in my Pagan career, despite the fact I don't drink (or do any drugs, for that matter) and am mostly asexual. Hethert isn't just a goddess of beauty, love, and sensuality (though of course those are very important aspects). It might be that you need to have more love for yourself, and look for the aspects that are beautiful, whatever society has to say about it.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 08, 2010, 06:55:17 pm »

Do you truly not have these things inside you or, for whatever reason, are you afraid that if you look for them you will find them?  Have you tried looking?
I honestly don't think I have those things inside of me.

Dionysus has been one of the most important deities in my Pagan career, despite the fact I don't drink (or do any drugs, for that matter) and am mostly asexual. Hethert isn't just a goddess of beauty, love, and sensuality (though of course those are very important aspects). It might be that you need to have more love for yourself, and look for the aspects that are beautiful, whatever society has to say about it.
That's incredibly possible, too. I'm not big on the whole self-love thing.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 08, 2010, 07:09:58 pm »

Have you ever laughed? Have you ever seen something beautiful? Have you ever made music, or just enjoyed it? Have you ever looked up at the starry night sky in awe?

There is so much more to Hetharu than just sensuality and love.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 08, 2010, 07:59:41 pm »

I honestly don't think I have those things inside of me.

Then maybe you need them there. Sekhmet is what you are, yes? Hethert is a balance that you quite possibly need to be, for lack of a better term, whole. And since Sekhmet and Hethert are related (how escapes me at the moment), it is not so far fetched that who they are is not mutually exclusive.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 09, 2010, 08:19:57 am »

Have you ever laughed? Have you ever seen something beautiful? Have you ever made music, or just enjoyed it? Have you ever looked up at the starry night sky in awe?

Thanks for reminding me, Juni. Properly chastised.  Embarrassed

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 09, 2010, 08:22:10 am »

Then maybe you need them there. Sekhmet is what you are, yes? Hethert is a balance that you quite possibly need to be, for lack of a better term, whole. And since Sekhmet and Hethert are related (how escapes me at the moment), it is not so far fetched that who they are is not mutually exclusive.

Yep, I'm pretty damn close to Sekhmet.

I know I need more Hethert inside of me. She really came along in order to help me heal from the abuses I suffered as a teenager. Sekhmet could probably do all of that on her own, given time, but embodying Hethert would really slam the lesson home.

Hm. Embodying Hethert... Hm...

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 09, 2010, 08:28:23 am »

Another idea that came to me... Hathor/Hethert is about joy. We can find joy in pretty things, in beauty, in sensuality, but we can also find joy in a job well done, in our friends and family, in things that are rightly ordered and working properly. Maybe that'll spark something helpful to you.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 09, 2010, 08:34:35 am »

Thanks for reminding me, Juni. Properly chastised.  Embarrassed

I wasn't trying to chastise. Embarrassed It's easy to lose sight of the finer details when it comes to gods you're not as familiar with, and simplify them down to a few core aspects. One just has to remind themselves periodically to take another look.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 09, 2010, 09:44:12 am »

I wasn't trying to chastise. Embarrassed It's easy to lose sight of the finer details when it comes to gods you're not as familiar with, and simplify them down to a few core aspects. One just has to remind themselves periodically to take another look.

I needed the chastisement, hon. I'm busy wallowing and honestly? The only way to get me to stop is thorough tongue-lashing. (Just realized that could be taken as a double entendre and no, I didn't mean it that way.)

RedLori
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 12:08:16 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Learner Eclectic Witch
TCN ID: redlori

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 24, 2010, 05:25:12 am »

Just posting to agree with this!  Cheesy

Also, it is more 'easy' (using the word loosely!) to find closeness with deities that are like you.  Maybe Hethert is not like you AT ALL, but like the close friend who is really, really different from you, or your big sister who seemed to get all the opposite characteristics.   Cheesy  Sometimes a bit of new perspective is needed.  For balance or for a different view, who knows.  But sometimes people are drawn to deities that are opposite to themselves, because those deities can offer the best help in areas of need, areas where there might be something lacking. 

(formerly ladykarina)
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 24, 2010, 01:37:03 pm »

You could dedicate a time each day or a day each week to each deity.  Also Hethert became Sekhmet in the Destruction of Mankind and the Legend of the Distant Goddess myths.  Perhaps reading these myths would help you understand their relationship better, if you haven't already? 

What exactly are you doing for each deity?  You could light a candle and pour a libation for one of them and then light a candle for the other.  That way you are paying attention to both, not neglecting either while not getting overwhelmed. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)