The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2022, 09:46:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2022, 09:46:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Job related run-in with Christianity  (Read 15779 times)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: November 11, 2010, 04:24:43 pm »

A crucifix on the wall is a major statement.

But it's also a piece of the environment, like your choice of car, your choice of solar panels, the windmill in the backyard, etc.  You don't bring it up, but it's there for the other person to ask about.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: November 11, 2010, 04:53:34 pm »

Are you missing a "not"?

It looks like I am. Fixed it. Thank you for pointing it out.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: November 11, 2010, 04:53:53 pm »

Short version: someone telling others how Jesus Christ has affected them, and their life, (some may even tell you how your life can be changed by accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior).

Also, the act of trying to convert someone through whatever possible means.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: November 11, 2010, 07:54:57 pm »

But it's also a piece of the environment, like your choice of car, your choice of solar panels, the windmill in the backyard, etc.  You don't bring it up, but it's there for the other person to ask about.

A crucifix on the wall, has one purpose, to proclaim this is a Christian place.  It does not get on the wall by itself, if someone rents a place, they might not be able to take it down, without the landlord permission.  If the place is bought, the new owner has the choice, of leaving it up, or taking it down.

I would like to point out that a Crucifix has the figure of Christ on it, a Cross does not. The cross while is showing that those having it are Christian, and can be just decoration, the Crucifix is never just decoration.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: November 11, 2010, 08:23:20 pm »

A crucifix on the wall, has one purpose, to proclaim this is a Christian place.  It does not get on the wall by itself, if someone rents a place, they might not be able to take it down, without the landlord permission.  If the place is bought, the new owner has the choice, of leaving it up, or taking it down.

I would like to point out that a Crucifix has the figure of Christ on it, a Cross does not. The cross while is showing that those having it are Christian, and can be just decoration, the Crucifix is never just decoration.

But that's the point of a silent ministry.  It sits there and yells at you without the people having to say anything.  How else are you going to know to ask?

The choice of car, solar panels, windmill, etc, proclaim something about you as well, inviting persons to talk to you about it.  Humvee with a gun rack vs Prius with a gun rack, invites different questions and says different things about you. It's not religious, but it still is a silent witnessing to how you live.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: November 11, 2010, 08:35:21 pm »

But that's the point of a silent ministry.  It sits there and yells at you without the people having to say anything.  How else are you going to know to ask?

The choice of car, solar panels, windmill, etc, proclaim something about you as well, inviting persons to talk to you about it.  Humvee with a gun rack vs Prius with a gun rack, invites different questions and says different things about you. It's not religious, but it still is a silent witnessing to how you live.

just because it is 'silent' does not mean that it isn't in your face and obvious, it just means that the  cues are set out there for you to trip over and comment about, thus allowing it to be you that brings it up, thus showing your interest and allowing them to do overt witnessing.

Another method of silent witness is the "live so people will notice how happy you are and want some of it, thus asking you about it."  Not very many people really achieve this one.

Lizard
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 12, 2011, 11:23:10 pm

Religion: Melting Pot, for now

Everything is transient.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: November 11, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »

Have you considered, that you may be one of those, they are trying to covert to the light?
Um, yep... now that they know I'm not Christian.  It wasn't a subject we had broached before.  Well, not entirely true.. I listened to them talk about their deep faith in Christ etc.  I didn't burst into flames or anything, so I guess I didn't really hit their radar at the time.   Cheesy

Time to shed my skin, again...

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
    "You ask a glass of water." -Douglas Adams

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?  Well, since you can't add anything to it, without displacing some gas, liquid or solid, I would say it is completely full.  - Me
Lizard
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 12, 2011, 11:23:10 pm

Religion: Melting Pot, for now

Everything is transient.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: November 11, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »

In a way I understand their POV.  To them, if you aren't saved then you are going to spend eternity in hell when you die.  Not all, but most Christians, that I know at least, take this very seriously and truly care about the fate of the people around them. 

Now that something has been said and changes made you might have a legal leg to stand on in the future, if you decide to stay.  If nothing else you might have a clause drawn up in addition to your original contract stating something to the fact that you will not take part in any ministry attempts, silent or otherwise, that the owners choose to conduct within the work setting.  And I would personally specify that I could choose my own music, etc. while working with patients.  Things of that nature.  And most importantly ... that if they violate your right to NOT be a part of their ministry that the contract would be considered violated on their end and that you could leave without notice and without having to uphold the non-compete clause.  That might be a good compromise.  They are free to minister as long as you are not involved nor expected to take part, silent or otherwise, and you are free to do your job without feeling pressured by them to conform to their religious beliefs. 
I do think they made this choice with as good intentions as they could have.  If I am preventing them from doing this by being there, then I will feel bad.  Truly, I am the last one to stand in someone's way of doing what they feel they need to do.  Unless, of course it involves me in ways I don't approve of.  I am more than happy to step aside and let them do what they feel they need to do. 

Pursuing any legal action has zero appeal to me.  Aside from the intense dislike I have for lawyers, this would be something that could get way out of proportion and could create a huge disturbance in this small of a town.

Your suggestion of a revised contract is a very good one.  I am still considering what to do.  Today we were back on the Jazz music channel.  "I will not compromise on this" is still ringing in my head at this point...  whiskey... tango... foxtrot was going through my head a lot today.

Time to shed my skin, again...

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
    "You ask a glass of water." -Douglas Adams

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?  Well, since you can't add anything to it, without displacing some gas, liquid or solid, I would say it is completely full.  - Me
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: November 11, 2010, 09:23:57 pm »

just because it is 'silent' does not mean that it isn't in your face and obvious, it just means that the  cues are set out there for you to trip over and comment about, thus allowing it to be you that brings it up, thus showing your interest and allowing them to do overt witnessing.

Which means they don't waste time on people who aren't interested (and don't waste the time of those who aren't interested). Seems like like a win for all to me. It's really does not seem any different from a Wiccan who wears an obvious pentacle -- which might attract the attention of fellow Wiccans and those who are interested in learning more about Wicca.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: November 11, 2010, 10:05:00 pm »

Um, yep... now that they know I'm not Christian.  It wasn't a subject we had broached before.  Well, not entirely true.. I listened to them talk about their deep faith in Christ etc.  I didn't burst into flames or anything, so I guess I didn't really hit their radar at the time.   Cheesy

Grin You only get burnt if you don't drown when they throw you in the water.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: November 11, 2010, 10:45:59 pm »

I do think they made this choice with as good intentions as they could have.  If I am preventing them from doing this by being there, then I will feel bad.  Truly, I am the last one to stand in someone's way of doing what they feel they need to do.  Unless, of course it involves me in ways I don't approve of.  I am more than happy to step aside and let them do what they feel they need to do. 

Pursuing any legal action has zero appeal to me.  Aside from the intense dislike I have for lawyers, this would be something that could get way out of proportion and could create a huge disturbance in this small of a town.

Your suggestion of a revised contract is a very good one.  I am still considering what to do.  Today we were back on the Jazz music channel.  "I will not compromise on this" is still ringing in my head at this point...  whiskey... tango... foxtrot was going through my head a lot today.

I really don't think that your presence is stopping them.  But they need to do it in a way that doesn't include you.  They can wear cross necklaces or other jewelry.  When other Christians come in they can have a conversation wherever they feel like it.  If someone simply asked they are free to express their beliefs.  Your presence shouldn't stop them and it most likely wouldn't.  You want to be free to NOT be a Christian as much as they want the freedom to BE a Christian.  There is no reason that you can't all do your thing and be what you are comfortable with. 

I personally wouldn't be much on the legal approach either.  But it never hurts to have a legal perspective.  Like with the contract amendment.  If nothing else you have proof and can pull it out and remind them of it if they step over your lines. I guess like having the boundaries drawn.  The proverbial line in the sand.  I wouldn't wait to long or you might lose the advantage, if you are going to go for a contract amendment.  However, in saying that I would also say ... you work with these people and you know if they are trustworthy or not.  If their word is good enough for you then I would go that route first.  But just be very, very sure. 

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2022, 03:47:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: November 11, 2010, 10:51:03 pm »

It's really does not seem any different from a Wiccan who wears an obvious pentacle -- which might attract the attention of fellow Wiccans and those who are interested in learning more about Wicca.

Back when I wore a pent I was twice asked if I was Jewish and once asked for directions to an esoteric bookstore. Tongue

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #42: November 12, 2010, 12:23:21 am »

If they have under a certain number of employees in many states they classify as a private company and there's nothing you can do but decide if you want to work for a vocally Christian employer or no.  They do not have to accomodate your preference.

It it were an otherwise stable job with good references available, insurance and workmans compother benifits in this market, I would remind myself that this is work, not home.  You haver't been told not to wear blue, just that they are painting the walls blue without asking you.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: November 12, 2010, 12:16:38 pm »

Prius with a gun rack

i am going to have to bring this visual up at dinner - maybe when no one has a full mouth!!!!!

AntlerandHerb.com
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: November 12, 2010, 12:29:07 pm »

i am going to have to bring this visual up at dinner - maybe when no one has a full mouth!!!!!

I really didnt' want to fall into the stereotypical trap of the gun owner with the humvee vs the gun control green car owner.  Particularly when the only person I know personnally who has a prius also has a large gun collection.  Just doesn't happen to have a gun rack in their possession, otherwise it would be in the car.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)