The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 07, 2021, 09:24:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 07, 2021, 09:24:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Cauldron's Annual Winter Solstice Celebration--2010 Edition?  (Read 22389 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 09, 2010, 11:11:19 pm »

Hey, everybody,

I think it may actually have become a tradition: the annual "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" celebration here at the Cauldron! With Randall's blessing (thanks, Randall, for giving us a home), it's time to start planning ahead for this cyberfest's 2010 edition.

For those who don't know, a bunch of us try to stay awake all night to mark the winter solstice, the longest night of the year...and we use a special thread at the Cauldron to touch base with others all over the world doing the same thing. We share thoughts, recipes (most infamously Folksymama's chocolate microwave mug cake), encouragement,...just about whatever pops into our heads.

Via posts from Cauldronites scattered across the globe, we watch the spread of darkness as it marches across the Northern Hemisphere, or bask vicariously in the sun and warmth of members in the Southern Hemisphere marking their summer solstice. The celebration is, quite simply, whatever we make it.

So what do we want to make it this year? Last year we had a loose, optional theme of sharing recipes. Any ideas for a new "non-theme"?

And whose up for it this year? As last year, the solstice falls midweek, which will make it tough for some to make the all-night commitment (unless they plan to call in sick to work the next day, like me!)...but note that everyone is welcome, even those who don't plan to stay up all night. (Those of us in it for the long haul are eager for as many folks to distract us from our pillows as we can get!)

So mark the evening beginning at sunset on Tuesday, December 21, on your calendars. Here's further info on the astronomical event (from http://www.chiff.com/home_life/holiday/winter-solstice.htm):

In the Northern Hemisphere, the next Winter Solstice occurs on December 21, 2010 at 6:38 PM ET and 23:38 UTC (Universal Time).

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 10, 2010, 01:00:01 am »

I think it may actually have become a tradition: the annual "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" celebration here at the Cauldron! With Randall's blessing (thanks, Randall, for giving us a home), it's time to start planning ahead for this cyberfest's 2010 edition.

I'm on vacation from mid-December through the end of the year, so I'll be able to join in.  I'll do my level best to make it through the night, but I'm definitely making no promises.  Wink

Pondering theme ideas...

Brina
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 10, 2010, 01:04:48 am »

I think I can join in this year. Not quite sure yet if I'll be travelling with mom to Central America or not; if not, I'll probably be over at my boyfriend's place, and then I definitely can.

I have no idea as to non-themes.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 10, 2010, 01:17:19 am »

I'll be working over winter break so that schedule will determine whether I can participate, but I'll definitely be present as long as possible.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 10, 2010, 01:48:58 am »

I'm throwing my hat in, although I'm not sure if that'll change. Currently unemployed, but if I get the job I possibly can get, I'm not sure how much time off I'll be able to get (especially if its seasonal).

Still... woo! Cheesy I love doing these things with you guys.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 10, 2010, 08:20:18 am »

Still... woo! Cheesy I love doing these things with you guys.

As do I! Great to hear such enthusiasm from all you guys.

As for "non-themes", our previous ones have been 1) storytelling around the solstice cybercampfire, and 2) sharing recipes for our solstice cyberfeast.

Here's one idea: photos. We could encourage folks to document the solstice in their area, or just to share whatever photos they might think appropriate to the longest night.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 10, 2010, 08:20:31 am »

Thank you very much for organizing and running this. It has become a tradition here at TC and it's one of our more popular ones. And you deserve the lion's share of the credit for that. All TC does is provide space and a chat room. Smiley

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 10, 2010, 08:47:35 am »

So what do we want to make it this year? Last year we had a loose, optional theme of sharing recipes. Any ideas for a new "non-theme"?

I don't honestly know. Aside from recipes, what else would we want to share?

And whose up for it this year? As last year, the solstice falls midweek, which will make it tough for some to make the all-night commitment (unless they plan to call in sick to work the next day, like me!)...but note that everyone is welcome, even those who don't plan to stay up all night. (Those of us in it for the long haul are eager for as many folks to distract us from our pillows as we can get!)

So mark the evening beginning at sunset on Tuesday, December 21, on your calendars. Here's further info on the astronomical event (from http://www.chiff.com/home_life/holiday/winter-solstice.htm):

I can do a pop-in after work.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: November 10, 2010, 09:59:05 am »

Like you said, it is midweek. *sigh*
I guess I will spend my usual TC time and drop by the vigil thread.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 10, 2010, 10:15:42 am »

As do I! Great to hear such enthusiasm from all you guys.

As for "non-themes", our previous ones have been 1) storytelling around the solstice cybercampfire, and 2) sharing recipes for our solstice cyberfeast.

Here's one idea: photos. We could encourage folks to document the solstice in their area, or just to share whatever photos they might think appropriate to the longest night.

That's a really good idea, methinks. I'll try to stay up all night! ^_^ Totally different time zones, but whatever. Photos sound good to me. I didn't have much to share recipe wise, but I've got tons of photos.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 10, 2010, 10:46:20 am »

it's time to start planning ahead for this cyberfest's 2010 edition.

Winter Solstice keeps coming earlier every year!

J/K, I was thinking about it myself lately. I won't be able to stay awake all night, but I'll definitely participate for as long as I am awake.

I like the photo ideas, it would be neat to see the sun setting, and then rising again, from places across the country and world.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 10, 2010, 11:37:09 am »

I like the photo ideas, it would be neat to see the sun setting, and then rising again, from places across the country and world.

How about a photo of the solstice sun setting on the Eiffel Tower? It's gonna be AWESOME. ^_^

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Autumn Twilight
Journeyman
Last Login:September 08, 2011, 12:06:43 pm

Religion: Pagan/unspecific

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 10, 2010, 11:46:56 am »

How about a photo of the solstice sun setting on the Eiffel Tower? It's gonna be AWESOME. ^_^

That would be amazing!!! Grin

~Dawna~
Autumn Twilight
Journeyman
Last Login:September 08, 2011, 12:06:43 pm

Religion: Pagan/unspecific

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 10, 2010, 11:47:52 am »

Hey, everybody,

For those who don't know, a bunch of us try to stay awake all night to mark the winter solstice, the longest night of the year...and we use a special thread at the Cauldron to touch base with others all over the world doing the same thing. We share thoughts, recipes (most infamously Folksymama's chocolate microwave mug cake), encouragement,...just about whatever pops into our heads.

Via posts from Cauldronites scattered across the globe, we watch the spread of darkness as it marches across the Northern Hemisphere, or bask vicariously in the sun and warmth of members in the Southern Hemisphere marking their summer solstice. The celebration is, quite simply, whatever we make it.

I'm in! Looking forward to it.  Smiley

~Dawna~
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 10, 2010, 11:58:55 am »

This sounds great, I am in as long as I am able to stay awake, lol.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)