The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 05:07:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 05:07:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Ouija Board: Good, Bad, Evil, Innocuous?  (Read 6105 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 17, 2010, 12:09:33 am »

I've noticed a lot of mixed emotions on this. So, what's your opinion? Good, bad, evil, innocuous?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:59:29 am by RandallS, Reason: Subject changed » Logged

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 17, 2010, 12:41:43 am »

I've noticed a lot of mixed emotions on this. So, what's your opinion? Good, bad, evil, innocuous?

Somewhere between "useful (depending on the person)" and "innocuous". Personally, I don't use them, and I've never really wanted to, anyways. *shrug*

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 17, 2010, 01:13:49 am »

It is a tool like anything else, it is in how you use it.  I think the danger comes from people not being aware of what is out there and not knowing how to handle it.  I used mine once, and found it not very useful; it was too much effort for minimal results, and it attracted a bit more attention than I would have liked.
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 17, 2010, 09:24:40 am »

Personally, I think all the hype is what causes the problems that people experience.

When I was about 9 we had one that I played with all the time. Nothing bad ever happened. Well, nothing much at all ever happened, lol. I certainly wasn't plagued by evil spirits or anything. So I believe that if a person expects a negative experience, that's exactly what they'll get. I have a hard time believing that something mass produced by Parker Brothers can be inherently evil. Just like Tarot cards, runes, or a pendulum, it can be a useful tool for divination.

I have been thinking of making my own for a while now. I feel like if I make my own, I can clearly define it's purpose. I can include symbolism that is relevant to my path and I can leave some of the accumulated baggage attached to them behind.

But, this is based on my personal experience with them. YMMV
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 17, 2010, 09:38:38 am »

I should answer my own question.

I think stupid people do stupid things, more or less. If they try to make contact with a demon or an evil spirit, then by gods, they're going to get it. Still, I'm too leery of the unseen universe to bring one into my house.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 17, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »

So, what's your opinion? Good, bad, evil, innocuous?

"Too much Hollywood."

Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 17, 2010, 12:30:28 pm »

I don't like them. Which is probably just as well because my husband is adamant about my never bringing one into our home. I don't like them because while I'd probably border on atheism for the most part, I have never ruled out malevolence as far as spirits go. And I understand that working with them is always risky, especially if you don't know exactly whom you're calling. I believe that this is why I don't actively engage land spirits and why I don't just call on the spiritworld on a dime. In face, I've never called on it. I've done things in the name of a particular God/dess, in the name of an ancestor specifically, and have honored specific spirits, but I've never walked there, and I've never asked for favors from just anyone. I have just heard too many horror stories about Ouija to make it worth my exploration. I doubt my opinion on this will change.
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 17, 2010, 03:19:11 pm »

I've heard from the paranormal community often that they can be dangerous because they 'invite in anything". However, I don't see the difference between saying "if there's anyone here, please feel free to move this planchette" and "if there's anyone here, feel free to speak into my voice recorder". However, as a ghost hunting tool they are poor as they have a high margin of error and the results aren't recordable, so I don't see much use for them.

I could see them being useful for contacting gods or other spirits as a divination tool, however, like others suggested.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 17, 2010, 05:47:00 pm »

To me the question is the same as asking if a hammer is good or evil (or to be more analogous, a telephone). It's used as a tool for contacting spirits. Some spirits are dicks. Some are nice. Just like corporeal beings.

Yes, I've used one, and yes, it worked. No, nothing bad happened (unless you count the time I used it at a sleepover and every time the planchette moved a gaggle of 12 year old girls ran shrieking from the room until my eardrums started to bleed; that was pretty bad (and a lot like this -- NSFW)). When I was in college my roommate stuck his glow in the dark one to the window as a decoration, mainly to piss off most of our relatives and friends.

Verdict: pretty innocuous. If you're tired of people calling you unplug the phone. If you don't want to be bothered by spirits, unplug the spirit board.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 03, 2010, 12:09:58 am »

I don't like them. Which is probably just as well because my husband is adamant about my never bringing one into our home. I don't like them because while I'd probably border on atheism for the most part, I have never ruled out malevolence as far as spirits go. And I understand that working with them is always risky, especially if you don't know exactly whom you're calling. I believe that this is why I don't actively engage land spirits and why I don't just call on the spiritworld on a dime. In face, I've never called on it. I've done things in the name of a particular God/dess, in the name of an ancestor specifically, and have honored specific spirits, but I've never walked there, and I've never asked for favors from just anyone. I have just heard too many horror stories about Ouija to make it worth my exploration. I doubt my opinion on this will change.

That's the thing not commonly mentioned in most divination systems. There is always a price/consequence. It might be sommething as simple as the time and energy to operate the tool or if the person(s) don't know what they're doing it could be inviting something in that will cause trouble or worse. When I use divination tools I always set very clear boundaries and am as specific as possible to avoid trouble. Part of the problem with ouija boards is they have alot of negative hype around them. Another issue is that they are produced as a game. Could you imagine if random spirit summoning symbols were marketed as a game? It gives me the shivers! Likely that won't happen, but I use it to refer to the problem of something with potenitally dangerous consequences and spiritual impact being treated as a game. Now a homemade Ouija board with specific connections and proper treatment is a good idea.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
savatage
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2015, 02:18:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: working on it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 03, 2010, 02:59:07 am »

I'm going with innocuous, I would have thought that intention would have more to do with it.
However it's not something I know much about, Ouija boards aren't really that common here.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: December 03, 2010, 12:14:07 pm »

Simple answer?
It's a tool.

Like any other tool it can be useful, useless, harmless or dangerous.
I don't care for the idea of demonizing a tool. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
flower
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 01:06:19 am

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 03, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »

I've heard from the paranormal community often that they can be dangerous because they 'invite in anything". However, I don't see the difference between saying "if there's anyone here, please feel free to move this planchette" and "if there's anyone here, feel free to speak into my voice recorder".

Just from personal experience, there is a huge difference between using a Quija board, rather than say, using  a pendulum. I have found that when using a Quija, it is more of a "Hey! I'm here! Come to my house and talk to me! Any one!!!" Almost like if you were to have a party, and all of a sudden alot of people just randomly show up, but you don't really know any of them, or how they knew you were having the party in the first place.

There is a lot less control when using a Quija simply because they are mass produced, they have no specific purpose other than to talk to spirits, but it does not delegate which spirits to speak with, whether to speak with spirits that are only currently present, or anything like that. It basically sends out a call to the spirits within close proximity, both good, bad, and neutral, saying there is someone who wants to speak with you, and then they all come flooding in. Some just want to make a connection, while others are curious, and then there are those who react with "oh, you want an experience, well i'll give you an experience..."

Making your own could be different though, I have never tried this, but I primarily stick to my pendulum and divination board that i made because i have more control. When making something yourself, you put your own energy and intentions into it whether you realize it or not, so the item being made is more specific to your needs, and generally works better. I generally only use the pendulum and divination board when doing readings for others(they help me stay focused when i am with other people) , but i would be mortified if i were to do a reading for someone and my tool were to all of a sudden bring other spirits into that persons home.  Shocked But, I suppose i have a bit of a bad taste from them because my mother used them alot when i was young, and she didn't really know what she was doing, and wasn't sensitive enough to even know she was inviting things in. As a result though, i will never use one, and i caution others against them unless they take the proper precautions. (which should be done whenever working with spirits any ways  Wink )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:57:56 pm by flower, Reason: spelling error » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)