The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 08:43:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 08:43:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft  (Read 7860 times)
Paganwolf025
Apprentice
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 06:38:11 am
United States United States

Religion: Unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 17, 2010, 03:18:58 am »

Hello all. I was in Borders the other day going through their selection on books on Wicca and witchcraft and the Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft caught my eye. I was wondering what my fellow board members have to say about it and if I should get it or pick up a different book?

The title seems perfect for me since I am new to Wicca and witchcraft. So should I get it?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 17, 2010, 05:16:17 pm »

Hello all. I was in Borders the other day going through their selection on books on Wicca and witchcraft and the Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft caught my eye. I was wondering what my fellow board members have to say about it and if I should get it or pick up a different book?

The title seems perfect for me since I am new to Wicca and witchcraft. So should I get it?

Personally I found it a very useful, practical primer on Wicca and parts of Witchcraft. IIRC you should take the history with a grain of salt, but otherwise it's worth if not a purchase, then definitely a read-through.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Paganwolf025
Apprentice
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 06:38:11 am

Religion: Unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 17, 2010, 07:03:03 pm »

Personally I found it a very useful, practical primer on Wicca and parts of Witchcraft. IIRC you should take the history with a grain of salt, but otherwise it's worth if not a purchase, then definitely a read-through.

Thank you. I am gonna go pick it up and read it. My friend has the 2nd edition of the book, he says it is a good reference to have.
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 17, 2010, 08:19:52 pm »

I did not think it was a bad beginner book (I can think of much worse), but from what I remember it barely scratched the surface of many things, and did not give much detail in energy work. 
Zeno
Apprentice
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 11:24:28 am

Religion: Skeptical Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 21, 2010, 07:17:42 pm »

I have it and think it is a great beginners book. Min you it only provides the bare-bones facts so you're definatley gonna want supplemental reading material.
canobiecrazy
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 06:34:58 pm

Religion: Neopagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 28, 2011, 08:12:56 pm »

I found it to be a good beginner's book. It doesn't really go in-depth to any subjects, but it is a nice introduction. Actually, my Circle Opening and Closings come from this book, but I have modified them to a point. So it has definitely helped me. For someone experienced in Witchcraft, No. But for someone who is new, Yes.

Bottom Line- Better than average Beginners Book.

STAY AWAY FROM SILVER RAVENWOLF!
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 07, 2011, 07:26:33 am »

Funny, I checked it out of the library not too long ago and found a lot that made sense in there. Perhaps see if your library has it as well, before buying.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
TytaniaRowan
Apprentice
Last Login:June 01, 2011, 08:36:19 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 07, 2011, 10:49:30 am »

I bought it on my Kindle and just finished it last week.  I enjoyed it, and did learn alot.  As any good beginner book does, it raised lots of questions in my mind and made me want to do more research and learn even more.  I am now reading Scott Cunningham's Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practioner and I would recommend that also.  But I am a newb, so... Grin
TytaniaRowan
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 07, 2011, 10:52:47 am »

STAY AWAY FROM SILVER RAVENWOLF!

I keep seeing this...was just curious why?  Have not read any of her books, I do own the broomstick one but have not even cracked the spine of it.  Just haven't been drawn to it.  Is she nuts or something?
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 07, 2011, 10:58:33 am »

I keep seeing this...was just curious why?  Have not read any of her books, I do own the broomstick one but have not even cracked the spine of it.  Just haven't been drawn to it.  Is she nuts or something?

Her attitude is patronizing, her ethics are missing, and her facts are dubious at best.  And that's the polite version.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
TytaniaRowan
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 07, 2011, 11:18:14 am »

Her attitude is patronizing, her ethics are missing, and her facts are dubious at best.  And that's the polite version.

Good to know...thanks!
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 07, 2011, 05:19:28 pm »

She summarises with grace.

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 08, 2011, 03:46:34 pm »

She summarises with grace.
lol,I think I might go take a peek at some of her stuff just to see what all the fuss is about,LOL.
the only books I've read so far that I didn't like for various reasons were that satanic witch book(a well meaning gift from an admirer long ago) and some stuff published by lewellyn. lewellyn makes me think of hallmark cards. it's fluffy and just a big melange without any background on the individual elements or deities it's tossing together.
a book I do like a lot is the green witch herbal.
everything I've ever read though even online and in Ebook form,you have to do a lot of deciphering and extra research and cross-referencing.
I'm defiantly getting to a point in my online searching that I want to take a trip to the big downtown main library and spend a day in there.

Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 08, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »

lol,I think I might go take a peek at some of her stuff just to see what all the fuss is about,LOL

If you don't mind a bit more online searching, there are previews of most of her books on Google Books. I wasn't impressed, myself. Even if the facts and such weren't wonky (and I haven't studied enough of others to be sure), I don't like the way she talks down to her audience. Teens are young, not universally stupid.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 08, 2011, 07:34:59 pm »

I think I might go take a peek at some of her stuff just to see what all the fuss is about

That's why I finally broke down and watched "The Craft".

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.