The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 07:12:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 07:12:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know where to put this!!! To All Marijuana Enthusiasts  (Read 17409 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #15: November 19, 2010, 12:21:42 pm »

I have never understood why sane intelligent people can believe that marijuana is worse than alcohol.

Because marijuana, despite its current association with white middle class kids, started out as the drug of choice for poor Black people and jazz musicians.  And then once the myth was started, it couldn't be killed. 

Wonder why we have so much stricter laws for crack vs powder cocaine?  Pretty much the same reason.  It isn't about truth.  It is about hyperbole attached to stigmatized groups.

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 19, 2010, 12:23:35 pm »

Because marijuana, despite its current association with white middle class kids, started out as the drug of choice for poor Black people and jazz musicians.  And then once the myth was started, it couldn't be killed. 

Wonder why we have so much stricter laws for crack vs powder cocaine?  Pretty much the same reason.  It isn't about truth.  It is about hyperbole attached to stigmatized groups.

Sperran

and mexicans. Don't forget the mexicans, they had alot to do with it too.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Czarina369cz
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 19, 2010, 04:14:15 pm

Religion: Pagan/Wiccan
TCN ID: Czarina369cz

No one gossips about other people's secret virtues

Blog entries (1)

myspace.com/tsarinaryan facebook.com/czarina369cz Czarina369cz

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 19, 2010, 02:42:35 pm »

a nurse I used to work with lost her license over marijuana pain relief.  I'm beginning to know how she feels, since I'm developing the same issues she has. 

Where do even start?
A lot of people have lost a lot over marijuana, pain relief and otherwise.  A lot of people are in prison and have been in prison over marijuana. I didn't mean to imply that not being able to smoke pot was akin to a human rights violation...I said something to the effect of it being close.  Talk to someone in doing a ten year stretch for pot alone; they may beg to differ.  However, I agree that there are much  more pressing matters in the world, and I didn't mean to offend anyone, and it would seem as though I had. 

I had no idea the overwhelming response that was to follow my post.  I usually kill threads by simply responding to them, no one ever touches them again.  Most of the time it goes to something I have said, haha!  At least that didn't happen.

And I will further paint targets on myself by stating that I do belief marijuana is a lot less dangerous than alcohol.  Not methamphetamine or cocaine, those are incredibly bad for you.  Pot, not so much at all.  Most of the people that I know who smoke marijuana are educated, working individuals with no criminal records.  That certainly doesn't mean that everyone who smokes it falls into that category; nothing is absolute.

At least I haven't bored anyone! (perhaps I am wrong, here)

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. -- Bertrand Russell
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 19, 2010, 04:30:32 pm »

And I will further paint targets on myself by stating that I do belief marijuana is a lot less dangerous than alcohol...

I agree with this statement.  However, until there is quantifiable data to support the claim, the battle for/against legalization will continue.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #19: November 19, 2010, 04:50:46 pm »

I agree with this statement.  However, until there is quantifiable data to support the claim, the battle for/against legalization will continue.

I think that there is quantifiable data to support that claim.  Pot is less addictive and less physically taxing than alcohol if one actually bothers to look at science.  Unfortunately, most of our legislators are woefully science ignorant.  The existence of Mike Huckabee is proof of that.  Sad

*Edited b/c this was really bloody confusing*
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:20:36 pm by Sperran » Logged
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: November 19, 2010, 05:15:30 pm »

I think that there is quantifiable data to support that claim.  Alcohol is more addictive and less physically taxing than alcohol if one actually bothers to look at science.  Unfortunately, most of our legislators are woefully science ignorant.  The existence of Mike Huckabee is proof of that.  Sad

psst - that doesn't make any sense

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #21: November 19, 2010, 05:21:18 pm »

psst - that doesn't make any sense

Fixed.  Apparently the invocation of Mike Huckabee keeps me from making any sense.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: November 19, 2010, 05:30:14 pm »

Apparently the invocation of Mike Huckabee keeps me from making any sense.

::snort:: That's a new type of magic.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 19, 2010, 11:51:19 pm »

::snort:: That's a new type of magic.

Sounds more like a Hux to me.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: November 20, 2010, 12:00:56 am »

Sounds more like a Hux to me.

*watches as two snare drums and a crash cymbal commit suicide*

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
knitsy
Journeyman
Last Login:January 12, 2012, 09:51:08 am

Religion: I am Me.

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 20, 2010, 12:38:57 am »

I also agree. There are so many evils in the world, people complaining about something that is illegal? I've been around those who do smoke pot and all I can do is shake my head and pray the gods have pity on them. If the people in the government legalize pot then it'll be something else people want legal and then another thing. See where I am going?

This post made me a little sad. I am an unapologetic user of marijuana for medical, spiritual, and recreational reasons; this is a plant that not only helps me mentally function, but also helps me communicate with the Divine and feel happy about my life and my place in the universe. I'm sorry you seem to have come across people you feel you need to shake your head over and pray for (a statement which, by the way, reeked of snot-nosed piety); but I hope you can transcend your generalizations and learn a little more about the variety of the users of this simple weed.

There are a few wonderful documentaries that might help broaden understanding of the economy, botany, and sociology of cannabis. Here are a few helpful titles--
1. The Botany of Desire
2. The Union: The Business Behind Getting High
3. Super High Me [more for comedic relief Smiley ]
4. National Geographic's Marijuana Nation

This whole thread is very fascinating to me. I love the different viewpoints. I'm with yewberry on this one--it'd be nice to see my tax dollars at work putting real criminals in jail. As far as a personal opinion on legalization, I really don't care either way. Cannabis has been growing for hundreds of years, has been cultivated by countless hands. It'll be around for quite a long while, regardless of what laws seek to regulate it.

...Maude?

[Warning: Fool]
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: November 20, 2010, 03:33:10 am »

I agree that as long as smoking pot doesn't hurt anyone else, people should have the right to do it. But I would never do it because it seems pointless to me. So you feel good for a few hours. You feel crappy the next day, and you have to admit to yourself that the feeling of well-being was absolutely artificial. It's not true well-being, just some chemicals manipulating your brain.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #27: November 20, 2010, 07:16:49 am »

It's not true well-being, just some chemicals manipulating your brain.

The same could be said of any drug used to treat mental issues.  After all, if you stop taking prescribed meds like anti-depressants you are back where you started too.  Hell, if I stop taking my physical meds I will feel like crap.  Daily application is understood when the treatment is by prescription.

As someone above said, or implied (I can't remember exactly), most people's sticking point with marijuana is its euphoric element.  In our society, it can't be good for you if it makes you happy - pleasure is the real sin.  It's a dour, protestant, viewpoint that limits things like praise, laughter, euphoria, self-indulgence, fun, and considers them bad for one's moral fibre.

Sometimes one's brain needs to be manipulated by chemicals.  And sometimes it's just fun.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
knitsy
Journeyman

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: November 20, 2010, 10:51:50 am »

The same could be said of any drug used to treat mental issues.  After all, if you stop taking prescribed meds like anti-depressants you are back where you started too.  Hell, if I stop taking my physical meds I will feel like crap.  Daily application is understood when the treatment is by prescription.

As someone above said, or implied (I can't remember exactly), most people's sticking point with marijuana is its euphoric element.  In our society, it can't be good for you if it makes you happy - pleasure is the real sin.  It's a dour, protestant, viewpoint that limits things like praise, laughter, euphoria, self-indulgence, fun, and considers them bad for one's moral fibre.

Sometimes one's brain needs to be manipulated by chemicals.  And sometimes it's just fun.

Absent

Thank you! This was beautifully said! I don't know how much good it'll be for me to describe how wholesome, hale, and healthy consuming cannabis makes me feel--but really, is there a problem with that? Are we still carrying around Puritan ideals? Tsk! It is a remarkable miracle of nature that this little weed is so versatile and so usable by human beings--not just for smoking, but for paper, clothing, rope, anything! The fact that we have this amazing plant, and that we don't use it because of stigma nearly seventy years ago [when marijuana defamation became popularized by yellow journalism], only serves to make me very depressed.

Here. I'll think I'll solve that really quick.

That's so much better.

...Maude?

knitsy
Journeyman

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 20, 2010, 10:56:05 am »

I agree that as long as smoking pot doesn't hurt anyone else, people should have the right to do it. But I would never do it because it seems pointless to me. So you feel good for a few hours. You feel crappy the next day, and you have to admit to yourself that the feeling of well-being was absolutely artificial. It's not true well-being, just some chemicals manipulating your brain.

PS. Your brain is nothing but chemicals manipulating each other! Also, did you know that there are special receptors in our brain specifically to receive delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinol, the main chemical in marijuana? Funky, huh! Try watching the Botany of Desire--it's streaming now on Netflix, and it's by Michael Pollan, the food writer! The documentary, by the way, is not just about cannabis, but about apples and tulips and potatoes and their effects on our lives; the entire film is superb.

...Maude?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)