The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 13, 2020, 05:10:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 13, 2020, 05:10:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with Guided Meditations  (Read 7660 times)
natasha
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 03, 2008, 10:39:18 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 09, 2007, 02:02:59 am »

Hi everyone. Not sure if this topic belongs here, but I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me. I haven't been practicing Paganism for long (about 8 months) and I was lucky enough to find a group of pagans at my university where we talk about paganism, do rituals, and have guided meditations, among many other activities. Ultimately it's a great place to learn about paganism in general. However, I've noticed more and more that I tend to have problems when it comes to the meditations.

We'll have guided meditations where we go to our sacred "medicine space" and I don't have much of a problem with that part. It's just that when it comes to seeing my journey in the sense of "through my own eyes", in my mind, I have a hard time doing that and often view it as if I'm having an outer body experience. I'll view these guided meditations as if I'm watching myself go wherever I choose to go during that particular meditation. I get the sense that this isn't how the meditations are supposed to be viewed and often I have to make a conscious effort to put it back into my own perspective, instead of an outside perspective. But when my concentration wanes, I find myself watching myself again in my meditations.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it ok that I'm viewing my meditation journeys like this? And if not, what are some ways to help me change the way I view them?

"All Is Full Of Love"
         )O(

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: June 09, 2007, 06:51:43 am »

I guess what I'm asking is, is it ok that I'm viewing my meditation journeys like this? And if not, what are some ways to help me change the way I view them?

If this is the way you see yourself on the meditation - that's ok.
I often have both - at once Wink being in and out watching.

Do you visit your inner Powerplace alone, or just with the guided meditations?
I personally find it often difficult to follow a guiding like: 'and now you open the box and see....whatever' because my journeys go all by themselves and if there is something to see, it'll appear.

And of course a meditation/fantasy journey equals not necessarily an inner journey.

But I wouldn't worry to much, if you see it that way that's ok.  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
natasha
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 10, 2007, 01:20:26 am »

Do you visit your inner Powerplace alone, or just with the guided meditations?
I personally find it often difficult to follow a guiding like: 'and now you open the box and see....whatever' because my journeys go all by themselves and if there is something to see, it'll appear.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I've visited my powerplace once or twice on my own and a few times with the guided meditations. (I'm not a big fan of meditations, so I dont do them very often on my own.) The first time I did it was in a guided meditation, but even when I tried to visit on my own I found myself taking the same steps to get there as if I were on a guided meditation. It's nice to know that there is no particular way of viewing meditations, so that my way is neither wrong nor right. But how exactly do you manage to view it both in and out at the same time?

"All Is Full Of Love"
         )O(
guineith
Journeyman
Last Login:February 21, 2008, 09:42:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: druidic pantheist

It is possible if you think it is possible

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 10, 2007, 02:40:16 am »

But how exactly do you manage to view it both in and out at the same time?
These things happen to people sometimes. I don't fully understand how, but it just does.

I know this question was directed at Tana, but sometimes I have been aware of being in two places at once, which I suppose is something similar. A part of me is in my body and another part of me is 100 feet up in the air, watching what my kids are doing when they are playing out on the farm. This is not in a trance state, BTW. I am fully conscious when it occurs and if need be can do it at will. Handy little skill it is, too!

Don't get too hung up on other people's methodologies. They are there as a guide only. Ultimately it is your life and your path, so if you find something that works, then go with it..

The wind was a raging torrent
Rushing through the trees
The Moon was a ghostly galleon
Tossed upon stormy seas
The road was a silver ribbon
Across the Purple moor
And the Highwayman came riding, riding,
riding
The Highwayman came riding
Up to the old inn door...
Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman"
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: June 10, 2007, 02:53:19 am »

These things happen to people sometimes. I don't fully understand how, but it just does.

I know this question was directed at Tana, but sometimes I have been aware of being in two places at once, which I suppose is something similar. A part of me is in my body and another part of me is 100 feet up in the air, watching what my kids are doing when they are playing out on the farm. This is not in a trance state, BTW. I am fully conscious when it occurs and if need be can do it at will. Handy little skill it is, too!

Don't get too hung up on other people's methodologies. They are there as a guide only. Ultimately it is your life and your path, so if you find something that works, then go with it..

Yeah, all of the above  Wink
It is nothing I manage intentionally - it happens. Also like being fully journeying and still aware of the 'normal' world. (I know that there are people who would say: oh than you are just fantasising and not really-really journeying, but then again what Guineith said with the last sentence  Wink) Or being fully at work, unintentionally switching to inner sight and see, let's say coyote who sniffs around at my workplace. Wink Still I insist, that I'm not needing medication *lol*

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

guineith
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 10, 2007, 12:04:25 pm »

Still I insist, that I'm not needing medication *lol*

Grin Yes, some shrinks would see it as a sign of insanity, but I remember once when I was doing some work in the house, I did the projection thing to check on my kids. One kid was playing happily but the little guy was leaning into the horse's water trough, with his feet off the ground, about to tip in and drown. I raced up to the paddock and found him just as I saw him in my vision. I reached out and pulled him back from it by the back of his shirt just as he was reaching forward a little bit more...
Had I not seen him in vision...::shudder::...what a tragedy it would have been.   

Tossed upon stormy seas
Across the Purple moor
riding
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: June 10, 2007, 01:23:25 pm »

Grin Yes, some shrinks would see it as a sign of insanity, but I remember once when I was doing some work in the house, I did the projection thing to check on my kids. One kid was playing happily but the little guy was leaning into the horse's water trough, with his feet off the ground, about to tip in and drown. I raced up to the paddock and found him just as I saw him in my vision. I reached out and pulled him back from it by the back of his shirt just as he was reaching forward a little bit more...
Had I not seen him in vision...::shudder::...what a tragedy it would have been.   

Yup, if that's insane than, that'd be all right with me.
Just because there are people who don't know about such things, or are scared of them, that doesn't mean that they are sane by any definition Wink

natasha
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 10, 2007, 07:18:51 pm »

Yup, if that's insane than, that'd be all right with me.
Just because there are people who don't know about such things, or are scared of them, that doesn't mean that they are sane by any definition Wink

I agree completely. However, it must takes lots of years of experience to be able to control it to this extent.. right? I mean I can only imagine what people I know are doing at a certain moment, like in the example Guineith gave, but the chances that what I imagine are actually correct is very slim. How can I actually practice projecting myself in a kind of non-meditative state, and how is this not a invasion of privacy? Also how long does it take to get really good at it?

"All Is Full Of Love"
         )O(
guineith
Journeyman
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 11, 2007, 12:29:50 am »

I agree completely. However, it must takes lots of years of experience to be able to control it to this extent.. right? I mean I can only imagine what people I know are doing at a certain moment, like in the example Guineith gave, but the chances that what I imagine are actually correct is very slim. How can I actually practice projecting myself in a kind of non-meditative state, and how is this not a invasion of privacy? Also how long does it take to get really good at it?

This is kind of hard to explain. I never learned  to do this, I just realised that I could. Apparently it can be taught, if you want to learn it, read books by Courtney Brown. He was trained as a remote viewer (RV) by the CIA who for a while were using RV as a spying tool. If you are interested in researching the history of remote viewing in Military Intelligence, the projects that you need to read up on are Project Blue Book and Project Majic (Majestic). Also google "Montauf Project" (be warned...this one gets really really wierd, but psychic phenomena can be really really wierd sometimes). When dealing with or learning to manipulate psychic phenomena, the ability to suspend disbelief is vital. Just be sure you also know how to ground yourself and protect yourself psychically/spiritually first, or dealing with this stuff could drive you mad. Then you really will need a shrink!

It's not about imagining what people are doing. It's about seeing. When you imagine, you are using the grey matter of your brain. When you "see", you use a part of the brain called the pineal cortex or pineal gland. It is a part of the brain stem and so is not involved in conscious thought. It "thinks" on a subconscious level best described as instinct. However, it also has to do with dreaming, "seeing" and astral projection/travel (working with the hippocampus). I think that the trick of it is to learn to connect with your pineal cortex and hippocampus while still remaining conscious (that is, when your grey matter is in alpha state-fully active). I don't know how I do it, I just do.

Regarding the ethics of remote viewing, they are similar to the ethics of any kind of information getting. Some things are private, so I choose not to look at them. For example, I really don't want to know what my brother does when he is on leave from his job at the mine. I know he hires a motel room and buys lots of beer and goes out looking for female company (because he tells me this), but really I would not do an RV on him because it's none of my business! Other things I really do need to know, like where my children are and what they are doing, or whether Auntie is home and is it a good time to drop in for a chat and a cup of tea? Or, is my new brick bath tub leaking into the wall cavity or not? If so, I need to apply another coat of sealer (It is, and I will).

I see no problem with using RV for these kinds of purposes. Would I use it to find out  if my partner (if I had one) was cheating on me? Definitely! But I would also be very careful how I used such information once I procured it. I would wait until I had hard physical evidence before I confronted him.

These techniques can be learned, but how long it takes depends entirely on the individual. The biggest hurdle to learning remote viewing is the inability to suspend disbelief. Here in the West, we are constantly immersed in disbelief from our culture, literature, schooling, etc. As for me, I have seen so many wierd things in my life that disbelief is impossible for me. So I believe about the efficiacy of divination, the existence of Deities, extraterrestrials (although I have never seen one), the reality of time travel, wormholes, magick, quantum mechanics, Atlantis (yeah, I'm having an interesting discussion with Everfool on Atlantis at the moment) etc.

BTW, it doesn't always work for me. If I am stressed, tired, angry, panicky or sad, it won't work. So I still sometimes lose my car keys and can't find them for three hours (because I'm stressed and having an "OMG! where are the bl**dy keys!" session). Then I calm down, pray, focus and concentrate on them and I can see exactly where they are! Yeah, I know. Stupid! Should have done that first shouldn't I? Tongue

Tossed upon stormy seas
Across the Purple moor
riding
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 11, 2007, 07:00:03 am »

Hi everyone. Not sure if this topic belongs here, but I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me. I haven't been practicing Paganism for long (about 8 months) and I was lucky enough to find a group of pagans at my university where we talk about paganism, do rituals, and have guided meditations, among many other activities. Ultimately it's a great place to learn about paganism in general. However, I've noticed more and more that I tend to have problems when it comes to the meditations.

We'll have guided meditations where we go to our sacred "medicine space" and I don't have much of a problem with that part. It's just that when it comes to seeing my journey in the sense of "through my own eyes", in my mind, I have a hard time doing that and often view it as if I'm having an outer body experience. I'll view these guided meditations as if I'm watching myself go wherever I choose to go during that particular meditation. I get the sense that this isn't how the meditations are supposed to be viewed and often I have to make a conscious effort to put it back into my own perspective, instead of an outside perspective. But when my concentration wanes, I find myself watching myself again in my meditations.

Perhaps the reason this happens is there is something else you need to see or tap into. It may not be the purpose for the meditation initially, but most things like that happen for a reason. When it initially happens, it isn't a matter of your concentration being off, perhaps you should try doing that alone and see where your meditation is trying to take you. It could be a journeyyou need to take.

Also, when your concentration does wane and you are seeing yourself on the outside, perhaps you should take a good look. maybe this is something being revealed to you, whether it is something you must see or notice, or it could be just a little nudge saying that maybe that type of meditation, as in guided, is not what you need right now. You may just need to spread your wings and do some solitary work with the meditations.

Even if something isn't *supposed* to happen in a meditation, and I prefer to say instead that something unexpected changed my course during the meditation, there is a reason for it. Delve deeper and see if you can discover what that is. Good luck and Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #10: June 11, 2007, 12:54:31 pm »

I think Guineith has a special talent for RV, so it comes easy. But as someone in my early online days stated: 'everything can be learned and everything can be trained.'
If you lack talent you have to work harder.  And somethings are not half as hard as one thinks (f.ex. I'm an animal communicator, I talk with animals via telepathy) the greatest enemy, as Guineith said, is disbelief and of course doubt.

This is kind of hard to explain. I never learned  to do this, I just realised that I could. Apparently it can be taught, if you want to learn it, read books by Courtney Brown. He was trained as a remote viewer (RV) by the CIA who for a while were using RV as a spying tool. If you are interested in researching the history of remote viewing in Military Intelligence, the projects that you need to read up on are Project Blue Book and Project Majic (Majestic). Also google "Montauf Project" (be warned...this one gets really really wierd, but psychic phenomena can be really really wierd sometimes). When dealing with or learning to manipulate psychic phenomena, the ability to suspend disbelief is vital. Just be sure you also know how to ground yourself and protect yourself psychically/spiritually first, or dealing with this stuff could drive you mad. Then you really will need a shrink!

I know this wasn't directed at me, but thanks for the info anyway. My RV is not really good. Sometimes I have clairvoyant kind of dreams - not future but present things, but they're mixed up with dream stuff too much.

These techniques can be learned, but how long it takes depends entirely on the individual. The biggest hurdle to learning remote viewing is the inability to suspend disbelief. Here in the West, we are constantly immersed in disbelief from our culture, literature, schooling, etc. As for me, I have seen so many wierd things in my life that disbelief is impossible for me. So I believe about the efficiacy of divination, the existence of Deities, extraterrestrials (although I have never seen one), the reality of time travel, wormholes, magick, quantum mechanics, Atlantis (yeah, I'm having an interesting discussion with Everfool on Atlantis at the moment) etc.

Totally agreed (well maybe not Atlantis *g* but who am I to know Wink). Everybody tries to disconnect you from all of your more subtle senses. No - you can not feel this. No - you can not see this. No - there is nothing. Till people believe it and have to fight their way back to all of their abilities.  Angry

natasha
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 11, 2007, 05:09:06 pm »

Perhaps the reason this happens is there is something else you need to see or tap into. It may not be the purpose for the meditation initially, but most things like that happen for a reason. When it initially happens, it isn't a matter of your concentration being off, perhaps you should try doing that alone and see where your meditation is trying to take you. It could be a journeyyou need to take.

Also, when your concentration does wane and you are seeing yourself on the outside, perhaps you should take a good look. maybe this is something being revealed to you, whether it is something you must see or notice, or it could be just a little nudge saying that maybe that type of meditation, as in guided, is not what you need right now. You may just need to spread your wings and do some solitary work with the meditations.

Even if something isn't *supposed* to happen in a meditation, and I prefer to say instead that something unexpected changed my course during the meditation, there is a reason for it. Delve deeper and see if you can discover what that is. Good luck and Bright Blessings.

I definitely liked this interpretation as to why my meditations are like this, and I feel that I shloldn't fight the way I view them, but instead embrace it because maybe there is actually a reason as to why I see them like this. Thanks Chaliceocean. I'll definitely keep this in mind next time I do some journey work.

"All Is Full Of Love"
         )O(
natasha
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 11, 2007, 05:16:59 pm »

It's not about imagining what people are doing. It's about seeing. When you imagine, you are using the grey matter of your brain. When you "see", you use a part of the brain called the pineal cortex or pineal gland. It is a part of the brain stem and so is not involved in conscious thought. It "thinks" on a subconscious level best described as instinct. However, it also has to do with dreaming, "seeing" and astral projection/travel (working with the hippocampus). I think that the trick of it is to learn to connect with your pineal cortex and hippocampus while still remaining conscious (that is, when your grey matter is in alpha state-fully active). I don't know how I do it, I just do.

Regarding the ethics of remote viewing, they are similar to the ethics of any kind of information getting. Some things are private, so I choose not to look at them. For example, I really don't want to know what my brother does when he is on leave from his job at the mine. I know he hires a motel room and buys lots of beer and goes out looking for female company (because he tells me this), but really I would not do an RV on him because it's none of my business! Other things I really do need to know, like where my children are and what they are doing, or whether Auntie is home and is it a good time to drop in for a chat and a cup of tea? Or, is my new brick bath tub leaking into the wall cavity or not? If so, I need to apply another coat of sealer (It is, and I will).

I see no problem with using RV for these kinds of purposes. Would I use it to find out  if my partner (if I had one) was cheating on me? Definitely! But I would also be very careful how I used such information once I procured it. I would wait until I had hard physical evidence before I confronted him.

BTW, it doesn't always work for me. If I am stressed, tired, angry, panicky or sad, it won't work. So I still sometimes lose my car keys and can't find them for three hours (because I'm stressed and having an "OMG! where are the bl**dy keys!" session). Then I calm down, pray, focus and concentrate on them and I can see exactly where they are! Yeah, I know. Stupid! Should have done that first shouldn't I? Tongue

RVing sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the information. I'll definitely check it out. In fact, for a country that is so set on disbelief, as you were saying before, I'm kinda surprised that the government and military actually relied on these methods for information. Thanks again for your input on my thread.  Smiley

"All Is Full Of Love"
         )O(
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 11, 2007, 06:03:55 pm »

RVing sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the information. I'll definitely check it out. In fact, for a country that is so set on disbelief, as you were saying before, I'm kinda surprised that the government and military actually relied on these methods for information. Thanks again for your input on my thread.  Smiley

I think the question that arose for me is 'if it worked, why aren't they still using it?' Smiley  But I'm a nasty skeptic.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 11, 2007, 06:11:56 pm »

Sounds to me like you're watching it like you'd watch TV.  *shrug* it's the way your mind works, proly.

I dream that way all the time .. I see myself both from the inside and I *watch*.  unless it means you have a god complex (guilty!  that's why I write fiction!) Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)