The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 04:54:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 04:54:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vaccination rates drop, putting more kids at risk  (Read 19154 times)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 22, 2010, 01:39:53 pm »

I was lucky and didn't catch anything before the vaccinations came out - except chicken pox, but as I was 4 it was not an issue.  I remember when we went down as a family and got the brand new polio vaccine on sugar cubes.  My children are fully vaccinated, but I will say that part of my decision was based on the fact that everyone on both sides had been vaccinated and no one had had a reaction.  Though they haven't been vaccinated for chicken pox, but since they're both in their 20's that came out too late (they both had it when young).

The other point is, I think Randall is older than me, and possibly older than my husband.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 22, 2010, 01:40:05 pm »

I had measles--BOTH kinds--as a child. Never got mumps, but wasn't vaccinated, either. (I'm 52.) I got the chicken pox as an adult (31? I think) and terrified my doctor. Luckily I didn't have any serious aftereffects--at least none we know of at the moment. Our schools did the polio-vaccine thing; county health workers in the hallways with long tables, rows of paper cups, each with one sugar cube holding the dose of Salk vaccine. Check off the name, hand the kid the cup, watch them take it, next . . .

My daughter got ALL her vaccines on time. Period.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: November 22, 2010, 05:34:56 pm »

I didn't think you were that old Randall. Figured you'd have missed it by a few years.

I was born in 1957. I had chicken pox too, come to think of it. Another disease one doesn't have to get any more.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 22, 2010, 06:57:57 pm »

The other point is, I think Randall is older than me, and possibly older than my husband.

So am I!  Grin

AntlerandHerb.com
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 22, 2010, 07:11:08 pm »

Vaccination rates drop, putting more kids at risk
Recent outbreaks of whooping cough, measles and mumps may point to loss of 'herd immunity'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40280560/ns/health-infectious_diseases/

I think there are two sides to this issue.  The first has already been discussed, so that one I'll leave alone.

The second is that we have become vaccine-batty.  They give vaccines for nearly everything.  There's even a vaccine being researched for ear infections.   Huh  I do not agree with not vaccinating at all, but to vaccinate for things that are not life-threatening...why?  

When my oldest daughter was a baby, (she's 12) our pediatrician tried to push the Rotovirus vax on us.  I opted out.  She was fully vaccinated against everything else except chicken pox.  A while later (I don't remember how long...6 months, maybe a year?)  the Rotovirus vax was pulled because it was found to cause twisting and torsioning of the intestines causing surgeries and death.

Fast forward to just a few years ago, they tried to push the NEW rotovirus vaccine on me again for my youngest child.  Again, I opted out.  What else is interesting...do you know what rotovirus is?  It's the stomach flu.  By the age of five, EVERY child in the U.S. has had it.  Do kids die from the stomach flu?  Sure.  Kids get dehydrated, their parents don't realize what's happening, etc.  But is the risk of a vaccine that might cause death worth the outcome of your kid not getting something that in all likelihood is going to cause him to puke for 12 hours?  I don't think so.  But, that vaccine is considered just as important as polio or pertussis.  It's part of the litany of vaccines the doctors insist you give your kids.

I'm just saying...I think better education from the doctors would be in order.  The rotovirus vax is not as important as the polio vax, but will you hear a pediatrician tell you that?  Probably not.  If you decide to reject ANY vaccine, you're seen as some kind of nut job.  The reality is that some of them are just money-makers and not necessary.

Does my newborn need a hep B shot?  Um, not that I know of.  I don't have hep B, and it's transmitted through sex, sharing needles, tattoos.  Maybe when a kid starts school and might get bitten by another child, or if they are in a daycare setting.  But an infant?  During the first 12 hours of his life?  Why?  I know why...it's to protect those kids that are born to hep B positive mothers.  But if I'm NOT, and I know I'm not, then why?  Why push it on me?

Chicken pox is another...we didn't do it.  Only recently are they finding out that it is only providing 20 years of protection.  So now you have a bunch of 20 year olds out there who  NEED a booster so they don't get chicken pox as an adult which is much more dangerous than getting it as a child.  I know a few 20 year olds...not many with the maturity or foresight to go get a vaccine booster.  Would these kids have been better off to contract chicken pox as a child and get a longer span of immunity from the actual disease than they got from the shot?  I don't know, I really don't.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but like I said, there are two sides to this argument.  There are vaccines that are absolutely necessary.  There are those (I think) that are not.  I think parents would be better served if they were looked at as people with brains who can make informed decisions, rather than having things pushed on them without docs taking the time to really explain the risks and benefits.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 22, 2010, 07:55:39 pm »

Does my newborn need a hep B shot?  Um, not that I know of.  I don't have hep B, and it's transmitted through sex, sharing needles, tattoos.  Maybe when a kid starts school and might get bitten by another child, or if they are in a daycare setting.  But an infant?  During the first 12 hours of his life?  Why?  I know why...it's to protect those kids that are born to hep B positive mothers.  But if I'm NOT, and I know I'm not, then why?  Why push it on me?

No, Hep B is transmitted through blood and body fluids.  sex, sharing needles, and nonsanitary tattoos are simply common  ways of sharing blood and body fluids, but they are not the only ways.  Biting, skinning knees together, fighting, are all good ways of sharing blood and body fluids too.  I suspect your child will be doing more of those three things than you want them to and you don't know other children's status of that.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #21: November 22, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »

Chicken pox is another...we didn't do it.  Only recently are they finding out that it is only providing 20 years of protection.  So now you have a bunch of 20 year olds out there who  NEED a booster so they don't get chicken pox as an adult which is much more dangerous than getting it as a child.

The issue you are leaving out here is that people that contract chicken pox as children then run the risk of getting shingles as an adult.  Shingles is a terrible, painful disease.  So if they contract chicken pox naturally as a child, they should still have a vaccine to prevent shingles.  People that have the chicken pox vaccine are not at risk for shingles.  So we either have a scenario in which someone gets two vaccines or has two diseases.  Chicken pox, at a minimum means, missed days of school and and serious discomfort.  Shingles is a debilitating condition that can last years.  Vaccines are a few moments of ouch. 

Sperran
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: November 22, 2010, 08:26:47 pm »

I was born in 1957. I had chicken pox too, come to think of it. Another disease one doesn't have to get any more.

Ditto. Found out at the same time that I was allergic to penicillin. Gave me hives. Sad

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: November 22, 2010, 08:51:50 pm »

The second is that we have become vaccine-batty.  They give vaccines for nearly everything.  There's even a vaccine being researched for ear infections.   Huh  I do not agree with not vaccinating at all, but to vaccinate for things that are not life-threatening...why?

I would have stood in line for hours for a vaccine against ear infections when I was a child. I got them all the time from about age 3 to age 10. They were extremely painful, often caused me very high fevers, and caused me to miss a lot of school. While I don't think a vaccine for ear infections should be required by law, I am very happy that they may find one. A lot of people might benefit.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 22, 2010, 09:04:34 pm »

I would have stood in line for hours for a vaccine against ear infections when I was a child. I got them all the time from about age 3 to age 10. They were extremely painful, often caused me very high fevers, and caused me to miss a lot of school. While I don't think a vaccine for ear infections should be required by law, I am very happy that they may find one. A lot of people might benefit.

There was that aspect of the ear infection.  Ouch. And people get hung up on sexual transmission of diseases.  For most of those, it is also transmittable by blood and body fluids, in which case the fact that it is transmittable sexually is a red herring.  As a nurse, I'm at high risk for Hep B, and I certainly don't sleep with my patients, share needles with them (at least not intentionally, although that is one of the risk, but CNA's have a high risk too, and they don't use needles) nor do we do tattoos with them.  The main thing we do share with them is body fluids when we care for them, and the fact that we're the ones that stick our hands in there when the bleeding starts.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #25: November 22, 2010, 09:25:47 pm »

I would have stood in line for hours for a vaccine against ear infections when I was a child.

Holy cow, me too.  Being the kid shuttled to the ER in the middle of the night for Tylenol 3 because the pain was so bad, I would have been more than happy to take a quick shot.  Besides that, considering that our antibiotics are becoming less and less effective, I think it would behoove us to look increasingly towards vaccines when we can.

Sperran
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: November 22, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

Besides that, considering that our antibiotics are becoming less and less effective, I think it would behoove us to look increasingly towards vaccines when we can.

That's an excellent point.

Randall
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: November 22, 2010, 11:38:30 pm »

LOL...definite Randalism.
I'm going to take the dissident stance here and say that, no, it wasn't a missing "not" this time; Randall would have rather had the vaccines had they been invented, than having mumps and measles.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: November 23, 2010, 12:00:57 am »

A more telling question would be, are the grandparents of the kids who are not getting vacinated to young to remember. Most of the older board members at best would know an older relative or friend's relative who got such a disease.
That may well be a factor in the drop in vaxes referred to in the OP's linked article; we're just hitting a point when people too young to remember are likely to be grandparents of young kids.  But they're just the latest wave in an already-existing anti-vax movement.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 23, 2010, 02:21:28 am »

If I could have had that for my daughter! She is only 9 and she has already missed 4 months of school in the last 18 due to ear infections. She has been vaccinated for everything that she should have been already, though. (This has caused all sorts of arguements-my in laws don't agree with vaccinations, my parents do). My hubby never had any when he was young but I had all mine as a child. When he got chicken pox in his late 20's he was very, very ill. (I have no immunity to chicken pox-I've had it 14 times so far, but the weird thing is I am never really ill with it. All I get is loads of spots and a headache-go figure) I have to keep my vaccinations up to date due to my seriously crappy immune system (can I have a real one now, please?) which keeps things on a fairly even keel. Elizabeth is very healthy, other than the ears and usual coughs and colds, so I certainly don't regret my choice!

BTW-how does the authorisation for child vaccines work in the U.S? In the UK, if the mother agrees to it but the father doesn't, it gets given by the G.P, but if the mother disagrees and the father wants it done, the G.P will refuse to give it to the child. Apparently, it is the mother's choice, unless there is sufficient cause and proof to doubt her ability to make that decision for her child. Really old law that has never been changed.....

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)