The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 04:40:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 04:40:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Does magic get better with age?  (Read 12578 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #30: June 12, 2007, 06:03:38 pm »

Thoughts?

I think this question is kind of weighted towards getting the answers you've been getting.  After all, none of has any real choice about aging ('just stopping' doesn't seem to work very well).  Add to that that none of want to see ourselves as having 'peaked', and you wind up with a consensus that we must keep getting better.

I'm not saying that's not valid, to a point.  We start out with the strength of youth and by the time that starts waning we have the strength of knowledge and experience to replace it.  Our will might be stronger as children, simply because our knowledge of our own desires is not much impinged upon yet by knowledge of the desires and rights of others, but the awareness of what to do with it and how to focus it makes up for the extra variables we start taking into account as adults.

At some point, though, age does become a factor.  Not everybody suffers senility or Alzheimer's, of course, but memory declines, we become scattered more easily, the stamina to sustain a working becomes harder to find, we just get tired.  I do know 80 and 90 year old elders who have the vigour and quickness of people half their age, but I also know 60 and 70 year olds that have become comfortably 'fuzzy', so to speak.  Almost diffused, as if 'centredness' is no longer a priority.  This might enhance one kind of magic, but the strong will and laser focus kind would be much more difficult.

I know even at 45 I have to make more of an effort to collect my scattered wits to get down to 'serious' work than I used to, and I give more thought to whether it's really something I want to bother with or if there might be an easier way to get what I want.  It's not that my magic was 'stronger' or 'better' a few years ago, but it was more readily to hand.  My results are as good (or as idiotic) as ever, but it takes more effort to get there.

YMMV, of course.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Vanni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2015, 09:45:11 am
United States United States

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 13, 2007, 06:30:37 am »

I think this question is kind of weighted towards getting the answers you've been getting.  After all, none of has any real choice about aging ('just stopping' doesn't seem to work very well).  Add to that that none of want to see ourselves as having 'peaked', and you wind up with a consensus that we must keep getting better.

I'm not saying that's not valid, to a point.  We start out with the strength of youth and by the time that starts waning we have the strength of knowledge and experience to replace it.  Our will might be stronger as children, simply because our knowledge of our own desires is not much impinged upon yet by knowledge of the desires and rights of others, but the awareness of what to do with it and how to focus it makes up for the extra variables we start taking into account as adults.

At some point, though, age does become a factor.  Not everybody suffers senility or Alzheimer's, of course, but memory declines, we become scattered more easily, the stamina to sustain a working becomes harder to find, we just get tired.  I do know 80 and 90 year old elders who have the vigour and quickness of people half their age, but I also know 60 and 70 year olds that have become comfortably 'fuzzy', so to speak.  Almost diffused, as if 'centredness' is no longer a priority.  This might enhance one kind of magic, but the strong will and laser focus kind would be much more difficult.

I know even at 45 I have to make more of an effort to collect my scattered wits to get down to 'serious' work than I used to, and I give more thought to whether it's really something I want to bother with or if there might be an easier way to get what I want.  It's not that my magic was 'stronger' or 'better' a few years ago, but it was more readily to hand. 
YMMV, of course.

Absent

You know, when I wrote the question, my own opinion really wasn't leaning that way. I agree that I probably should have phrased it more like, "Does magic get better, worse, or just change as we grow older".

"My results are as good (or as idiotic) as ever, but it takes more effort to get there".

This is consistent with my experience as well.

Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: June 14, 2007, 03:58:47 pm »

I always wondered - does your ability to do magic improve or deteriorate with age?

I think it depends on the person entirely.

On one hand, there can be energy in youth - although it may be misspent on trying to do too much at a time, or plain old follies. On the other hand, there can be wisdom in older age - although that too may be misspent on thinking too long before doing anything.

There can also be too much insecurity in youth (I didn't do much magic when young, for example) to do much with the energy one has - or one can be of those people who take long to mature and are way more energetic and achieving nearing middle age than when they were young.

One's magical abilities may get better with age, if one uses one's skills - practices. They can also deteriorate with age, if one sits back comfortably and thinks "I'm fully trained now", doing nothing.

Fausta Acilia Mus

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)