The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 03:08:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 03:08:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Aphrodite or Venus or other Goddess?  (Read 7202 times)
Silent_Winter
Apprentice
Last Login:February 04, 2011, 01:38:28 pm
Portugal Portugal

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 30, 2010, 01:14:28 pm »

Hello there!

I'm still at the beggining of my studies about the greek and the roman pantheon but sometimes it's hard to read about the differences between them. I just finished reading other topics about that issue (that helped a lot, thank you all!) and I decided to make this new post.

I have an unanswered question since the beggining of my studies and I'd like to hear you about this issue. I was wondering, wich Goddess is associated with the idea of "romantic love", that kind of "almost spiritual love". I know that Goddesses as Aphrodite, and later Venus, are associated to love and beauty, but (although I never tried to build an alter to any of Them) I read They are very related to sexual pleasures in general too (and this, associated with the lovers of Aphrodite for example, goes a bit in other direction of this concept of "romantic/spiritual/life/fairytale love").

Or maybe I got the wrong idea from my readings (what is perfectly possible since I still don't know very much) and perhaps that kind of love is associated to one (or the two) of these Goddesses. Or maybe to Another One I didn't considered...?

Peace, love and light!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

GarlicandMint
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 18, 2013, 09:53:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Solitary

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 30, 2010, 02:20:33 pm »

Or maybe I got the wrong idea from my readings (what is perfectly possible since I still don't know very much) and perhaps that kind of love is associated to one (or the two) of these Goddesses. Or maybe to Another One I didn't considered...?

Someone will undoubtedly come in with more (I'm at work, can't look anything up), but I believe Aphrodite is associated with many different kinds of love and has according epithets. Have you looked on theoi.com? It will have a list.  Smiley
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 30, 2010, 03:58:00 pm »

Hello there!

I'm still at the beggining of my studies about the greek and the roman pantheon but sometimes it's hard to read about the differences between them. I just finished reading other topics about that issue (that helped a lot, thank you all!) and I decided to make this new post.

I have an unanswered question since the beggining of my studies and I'd like to hear you about this issue. I was wondering, wich Goddess is associated with the idea of "romantic love", that kind of "almost spiritual love". I know that Goddesses as Aphrodite, and later Venus, are associated to love and beauty, but (although I never tried to build an alter to any of Them) I read They are very related to sexual pleasures in general too (and this, associated with the lovers of Aphrodite for example, goes a bit in other direction of this concept of "romantic/spiritual/life/fairytale love").

I don't know much about Venus beyond that She was associated with fertility before becoming associated with Aphrodite.  I do know that one of Aphrodite's epithets was Aphrodite Ourania ("Heavenly") which I think was suppose to represent love that transcended flesh.  However, She was mainly associated with sex.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 30, 2010, 07:02:10 pm »

You might want to take a look at this Nova Roma [/quote] article about Venus - it may give you some aspects you've not considered.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 30, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »

Hello there!

Aphrodite and Venus are love deities, but I am more inclined to think of them as more centered on the physical aspects of love rather than a spiritual love, though it really depends on how you interpret their myths.  The story of Cupid and Psyche comes to mind at the moment, and since Psyche means "soul", perhaps she may be along the lines of the deity you are looking for.  Hera also could be seen as a love goddess, as she is the patron of marriage, but her love seems to be more focused on duty.  I hope this helps you somewhat.

If you want to learn more about Aphrodite, I suggest "Devoted to You: Honoring Deity in Wiccan Practice" by Judy Harrow.  Even if you are not inclined to Wicca, I suggest it because it has quite a bit of detail on four deities (Aphrodite included) and it also gives some good ideas for how to research and learn about your own deities.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 30, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »

I would really suggest checking out Laurelei Black's books on Aphrodite, as well as her blog, seeing as she's a priestess of Aphrodite. Like Mel said, one of her epithets is Ourania, which is meant to describe her actions beyond just the earthly/mortal plane. Love.. is a huge thing. I'm going to quote Sannion from an old LJ post he did on Aphrodite and some not well known epithets of hers to make my point:

It is love that makes civilization possible. For through love we feel a desire to connect with our fellows, to find a way such as language to express our thoughts and understand theirs. Love causes us to place the other person’s needs above our own, to do things that inconvenience us so that their life will be improved, even if there is no more tangible reward for that labor than the person’s affection. Love, further, induces us to put ourselves at risk solely to protect our beloved and their property. Men brawl in the streets to defend the honor of their girlfriends; mothers find the courage to face ferocious beasts when their children are at risk; nations clash over ideals that they deeply cherish. It is love that inspires all of this – as well as honor and pride.

Here is the post link: http://sannion.livejournal.com/568275.html He has a lot of other interesting ideas there as well, including Aphrodite's war aspects.

I think her influence goes greatly beyond "just sex". Personally I associate Ourania with the heavens moving, the law of attraction, etc. It mirrors Aphrodite Pandemos ("of the People"), of the stuff we can personally interact with and are affected by.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Silent_Winter
Apprentice
Portugal Portugal

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 02, 2010, 11:38:18 am »

Thank you all for the replies and the sources of information. I already started reading some of them and not only about Aphrodite or Venus.  Smiley I also have read some of the epithets of Aphrodite, including Aphrodite Ourania. However I'm finding it difficult to understand how they relate with each other. It seems somehow there are many Aphrodites... But in altar, if I call for Aphrodite I'm calling just for one Goddess, so I'm wandering how is it to work with Her.

I mean, I may build an altar to Her, asking for Her bless for a relationship I have but if I don't value very much sex, would it make any sense? Or if I'm asking for strength for a battle in the name of love between mankind and I'm not of a relationship type at all... Or if I am a big fan of morality and I ask the Goddess to bring a boyfriend into my life, but I can't tolerate at all the market of sex and prostitution... It's easy to feel completely comfortable with some of the epithets and a bit apprehensive with others...

On the other hand I may be understanding this wrong and, in fact, the epithets of Ahrodite that would appear, would depend on many aspects, as the tradition I've choosen to follow (for example, in Sparta it seems that Aphrodite had an epithet related to war that wasn't very usual in other places), or the epithets I would feel more related to, or another thing.

I'm still trying to find more information about Venus, so I can't say many things yet. However Venus seemed to me a simpler Goddess (because I still didn't find nothing about epithets on Her  Grin).

I also read about Hera and Psyche, but I need to study Psyche better. Hera, as it was said, seemed a great Goddess, but a bit rigid, not so much of a love type, but more on a duty type.

Peace, love and light!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: December 02, 2010, 01:32:57 pm »

Epithets are names/descriptions associated with her in different times/places/situations.  If you call to her using a specific epithet you will be calling her as she appears when described by that term.  They are not exactly different Aphrodites, just Aphrodite in a different mood or with a different purpose.  War-like Aphrodite is unlikely to show up when you have prayed to Relationship Aphrodite and vice versa.

It is kind of like phoning Dr. Carter, instead of your neighbour Sam - even though they are the same person, the name you use lets them know more closely what you are calling about.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 20, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

Thank you all for the replies and the sources of information. I already started reading some of them and not only about Aphrodite or Venus.  Smiley I also have read some of the epithets of Aphrodite, including Aphrodite Ourania. However I'm finding it difficult to understand how they relate with each other. It seems somehow there are many Aphrodites... But in altar, if I call for Aphrodite I'm calling just for one Goddess, so I'm wandering how is it to work with Her.

I mean, I may build an altar to Her, asking for Her bless for a relationship I have but if I don't value very much sex, would it make any sense? Or if I'm asking for strength for a battle in the name of love between mankind and I'm not of a relationship type at all... Or if I am a big fan of morality and I ask the Goddess to bring a boyfriend into my life, but I can't tolerate at all the market of sex and prostitution... It's easy to feel completely comfortable with some of the epithets and a bit apprehensive with others...

On the other hand I may be understanding this wrong and, in fact, the epithets of Ahrodite that would appear, would depend on many aspects, as the tradition I've choosen to follow (for example, in Sparta it seems that Aphrodite had an epithet related to war that wasn't very usual in other places), or the epithets I would feel more related to, or another thing.

My Patron is Aphrodite and I have my own UPG's surrounding Her.  Even though in myth form she does tend to lean more toward sexual love, I also see her as a romantic and spiritual love aspect as well.  I find it very easy to commune with all aspects of Her, and in fact I asked her to bring me a compatible companion that I could share my life with, and recently someone has come into my life that so far fits the description.  For me, She is always there urging me to be open to love in all forms.

And, yes, she has many epithets, but so does many other Greek Deities.  Just like people are not one dimensional, neither are the Gods in my opinion.   I believe that when you call on a specific epithet you are still calling on Her as a whole with focus on that one particular aspect of her personality.

I don't know if this was any help to you.  Again, it is all UPG and not strictly fact based.
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 20, 2010, 03:50:03 pm »

I would also like to add that in my opinion I wouldn't build an altar for Her unless you were comfortable with all aspects of Her.  I mean, how would you like it if someone said they would be your friend so long as you acted This way, but if you acted that way you didn't want to have anything to do with them?
Silent_Winter
Apprentice
Portugal Portugal

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 28, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

It is kind of like phoning Dr. Carter, instead of your neighbour Sam - even though they are the same person, the name you use lets them know more closely what you are calling about.

I got your idea very well!  Smiley Thanks!

My Patron is Aphrodite and I have my own UPG's surrounding Her. 

Thank you for your reply! I liked very much to read your post since you know better about Aphrodite. But I missed the meaning of "UPG's"...can you please tell me what it means? (sorry!)

I would also like to add that in my opinion I wouldn't build an altar for Her unless you were comfortable with all aspects of Her.  I mean, how would you like it if someone said they would be your friend so long as you acted This way, but if you acted that way you didn't want to have anything to do with them?

Yes, I agree with you. It's important to respect the Gods and Goddesses as They are, no doubt for me about it! One of the reasons I posted about this issue (of which Goddess is related to the "fairy tale love") is because I'd rather know more about the Goddesses that can be somehow related to it than build an altar to all the Goddesses I could think about that could fit and perhaps, in altar, I feel a bit uncomfortable with some aspects of Hers. This could happen with Aphrodite...I find some of Her aspects "just like me", but others have nothing to do with me (perhaps because I don't understand?). I don't know, I'm still trying to get more understanding and more knowledge about it, that's other reason because I decided to ask for hearing more about this issue from the people in the forum...

Peace, love and light!
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 28, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »

I agree, though in my experience Aphrodite has been pretty understanding with me. I'm not a sexual person at all, and we've never seemed to clash in that regard. Most of the work we've tackled together have been about self-love and self-esteem and not so much interpersonal love.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 28, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

Thank you for your reply! I liked very much to read your post since you know better about Aphrodite. But I missed the meaning of "UPG's"...can you please tell me what it means? (sorry!)

Yes, I agree with you. It's important to respect the Gods and Goddesses as They are, no doubt for me about it! One of the reasons I posted about this issue (of which Goddess is related to the "fairy tale love") is because I'd rather know more about the Goddesses that can be somehow related to it than build an altar to all the Goddesses I could think about that could fit and perhaps, in altar, I feel a bit uncomfortable with some aspects of Hers. This could happen with Aphrodite...I find some of Her aspects "just like me", but others have nothing to do with me (perhaps because I don't understand?). I don't know, I'm still trying to get more understanding and more knowledge about it, that's other reason because I decided to ask for hearing more about this issue from the people in the forum...

A UPG is an Unverified Personal Gnosis... It basically means that I may experience things myself from her that are not scholastically verified.  My biggest issue with her was my self love views.  She has helped me a lot in this area, helping me through meditations and such to know the true beauty inside of myself that can shine through.  She also helped me open my heart again after it had been broken one too many times.  After all, if you shut yourself off from love, what else is there in life? 

She is my rock and my foundation.  She is constantly surrounding me and helping me through my tough days when my self confidence is low. 

I would like to say also that there really isn't such a thing as "Fairy Tale Love".  In those stories the couples never really fight, they have everything in common, and their life turns out perfectly in the end.  It's kind of boring when you think about it lol.   Grin  Just so long as you can remember that love is full of trial and error, rocky patches, and fights; and also respect and compassion and laughter, you will get a good sense of Aphrodite.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)