The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2022, 05:36:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2022, 05:36:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion on Books  (Read 2341 times)
RebDog
Journeyman
Last Login:December 10, 2007, 12:02:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Northern Tradition/claimed by Odin

Knowest thou how to ask? offer? send? sacrifice?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 10, 2007, 01:20:12 am »

I am wondering what the forum members opinions would steer me towards in way of reading material?  I'll give you some idea of what I'm looking for..        I'm not into scientology views of the universe or god(s) because to me it would be ridiculous to imagine that is the answer when the answer will change at any given moment!  Nix the big 'three' (J,C,I) I have come to my own conclusions about those practices... I'm not truly convinced that God(s) is/are everywhere, either...  pantheistic spiritualism doesn't work for me when I'm in the privvy! (& I could think of a few other reasons/circumstances, so I don't mean to offend, it's just how I feel) I do not have the lifestyle that allows me to afford the time for formal study/gathering of peers/complicatd rituals, ect., in order to consider myself a part of a religious 'group', nor would I probably do so if I had the time because I feel it is spiritually unnecessary. I do feel spiritually connected to all lifeforms, have experienced only one psycik force during my life(dream visions) but believe that other forms exist,  I do not oppose others in their chosen path,  but would not tolerate anyone harming me or my loved ones...   Maybe this will help a few of you interested in giving me a direction to explore...    (and yes, I know I need spellcheck)

Strong is the beam that raised must be
To give an entrance to all;
Give it a ring, or grim will be
The wish it would work on thee.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 10, 2007, 01:23:13 am »

I am wondering what the forum members opinions would steer me towards in way of reading material?  I'll give you some idea of what I'm looking for..        I'm not into scientology views of the universe or god(s) because to me it would be ridiculous to imagine that is the answer when the answer will change at any given moment!  Nix the big 'three' (J,C,I) I have come to my own conclusions about those practices... I'm not truly convinced that God(s) is/are everywhere, either...  pantheistic spiritualism doesn't work for me when I'm in the privvy! (& I could think of a few other reasons/circumstances, so I don't mean to offend, it's just how I feel) I do not have the lifestyle that allows me to afford the time for formal study/gathering of peers/complicatd rituals, ect., in order to consider myself a part of a religious 'group', nor would I probably do so if I had the time because I feel it is spiritually unnecessary. I do feel spiritually connected to all lifeforms, have experienced only one psycik force during my life(dream visions) but believe that other forms exist,  I do not oppose others in their chosen path,  but would not tolerate anyone harming me or my loved ones...   Maybe this will help a few of you interested in giving me a direction to explore...    (and yes, I know I need spellcheck)

Okay, uhm. So, that's what you DON'T want. What ARE you looking for, then?
RebDog
Journeyman
Last Login:December 10, 2007, 12:02:44 pm

Religion: Northern Tradition/claimed by Odin

Knowest thou how to ask? offer? send? sacrifice?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 10, 2007, 01:58:19 am »

Okay, uhm. So, that's what you DON'T want. What ARE you looking for, then?
      Just GOOD reading suggestions on anything not in those categories    I have just discovered the online book resource here and am fascinated...   many I have already read...    but still interested in genuine helpful opinions!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 02:12:00 am by RebDog, Reason: just an add-on » Logged

Strong is the beam that raised must be
To give an entrance to all;
Give it a ring, or grim will be
The wish it would work on thee.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 10, 2007, 09:52:21 am »

I am wondering what the forum members opinions would steer me towards in way of reading material?  I'll give you some idea of what I'm looking for..

Rebdog,

I'll be honest, I read your post and I have no idea what you're looking for...what interests you...what direction you're wanting to go in. I can't tell if you're looking for religious information, astrology stuff, magic stuff or just what.

The best thing to do, I think, is for you to head over to our book review section and methodically go through there. And the Pagan Primer section. The first covers some pagan religions and the books, well, that's pretty self-explanatory.

http://www.ecauldron.com/newpagan.php
http://www.ecauldron.com/bookstore.php

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 10, 2007, 10:10:03 am »

I am wondering what the forum members opinions would steer me towards in way of reading material? [snippage]

So you're looking for books on some sort of religious something that won't inconvenience you?

Good luck with that.

The Gods are... the Gods.  If you feel a pull toward a particular deity, becoming a devotee will certainly result in some changes in your lifestyle; you can't worship just when it's convenient to you.  If you are seeking Deity, for whatever reason, the most effective seeking is not done in books.  Relationships with Gods are in many ways similar to relationships with people:  you have to participate in them.  You can't just read about them.

Reading about them can be a place to start, of course.  If you have no direction whatsoever, start with the gods of your ancestors.  Stay away from the New Age and Modern Religions shelves and spend your time in the history sections:  don't just read about Who your ancestors worshipped, but how they lived, as well.  Then check the bibliographies in the back of the books you liked the best, and read the ones you're intrigued by there.

When you're ready to actually approach Deity, I'd suggest a book or two on meditation; you may find a way to open yourself to the point that you hear the Whisper in your ear and feel the Fingers ruffling your hair.

Good luck.

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.