The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 31, 2020, 04:19:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2020, 04:19:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creative Yule  (Read 4216 times)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 08, 2010, 10:38:56 am »

I'm currently knitting away for the holidays.  Gotta finish a lace wrap I'm making for my mom, and a couple pairs of socks (one for my mother-in-law and one for my dad).  Oh, and a blanket for my great-nephew.  And probably a small handful of knit ornaments.  I might also put together a few recipe jars...I'm thinking orange/vanilla scones and some sort of butter cookie.  The only thing I'm buying outright is a matcha tea set for my son, who's fascinated with Japanese culture.  If I had time to figure out how to make a chasen, I probably would.  Wink

So what hand-crafted goodies are you planning this year? 

Brina

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 08, 2010, 11:06:35 am »

Thatsa lot of knitting!  Grin

I've finished:

--a crocheted Ariel doll for my cousin
--3 hardcover blank books for my brother and my friends
--a baby dragon for my other friend

And I'm working on:

--a crocheted Star Wars hat for my brother
--writing Bible verses on vellum, to be framed for a couple of my mothers' friends (she requested I do this)

Most of the rest of my gifts are handmade, but by someone else.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
GarlicandMint
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 18, 2013, 09:53:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Solitary

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 08, 2010, 11:47:49 am »

Currently crocheting a mobius/infinity/circle scarf for my partner (that she knows about, so I'm not sure it's really a holiday present, lol! our apartment is too small for me to hide and hook!), planning a bright orange hunting scarf for my brother, possibly a neckwarmer with button for my dad, and getting supplies this weekend to infuse spirits for my parents and sister (basil/garlic vodka for my mom who loves Bloody Marys, vanilla whiskey perhaps for my stepdad, and Skittles vodka for my sister...all with NYC shotglasses).
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 08, 2010, 12:49:31 pm »

Thatsa lot of knitting!

Not as bad as it sounds.  I'm nearly done with the blanket and wrap.  So it's really just a couple pairs of very simple socks (simple pattern knit two-at-a-time on one long circular needle) and some very small ornaments.

writing Bible verses on vellum, to be framed for a couple of my mothers' friends (she requested I do this)

You know, I should get back into calligraphy.  I haven't done it in years, and people love framed quotes and the like...

Brina
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: December 08, 2010, 12:57:15 pm »

I'm currently knitting away for the holidays.  Gotta finish a lace wrap I'm making for my mom, and a couple pairs of socks (one for my mother-in-law and one for my dad).  Oh, and a blanket for my great-nephew.  And probably a small handful of knit ornaments.  I might also put together a few recipe jars...I'm thinking orange/vanilla scones and some sort of butter cookie.  The only thing I'm buying outright is a matcha tea set for my son, who's fascinated with Japanese culture.  If I had time to figure out how to make a chasen, I probably would.  Wink

Brina

I don't really do *seasonal* knits - I hate time frames. Cheesy  But winter projects - I'm working on a sweater for my father and a blanket for the living room that my son has already claimed as "his".  (he's somewhat willing for "ours" but only if we're actively going to cuddle under it).

and I AM going to make a pair of socks for my husband.  I am.  HONEST.  even if his feet ARE insanely huge.  Plus, it makes a good take-along project.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 08, 2010, 12:57:37 pm »

Skittles vodka for my sister

I was just talking about Skittles vodka on a homebrewing list I frequent.  I'm equal parts intrigued and horrified.  Cheesy  I am seriously considering making some booze bears for New Year's Eve.

Brina
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 08, 2010, 02:22:42 pm »

You know, I should get back into calligraphy.  I haven't done it in years, and people love framed quotes and the like...

Mom is putting some photographs of the Texas landscape (well, Hill Country landscape) and the vellum with the verses on top. It's really quite a nice gift idea for people who want a gift with handmade elements, especially if you shoot the photos yourself.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 08, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »

and I AM going to make a pair of socks for my husband.  I am.  HONEST.  even if his feet ARE insanely huge.  Plus, it makes a good take-along project.
Ah!  Thaaaaat's where you'll use the pound of maroon wool.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 09, 2010, 07:17:21 am »

Brina

Apparently now I'm also making a dolly for a little boy - not mine, he's already GOT a dolly!

The ONLY thing this boy wants from Santa is a doll.  His parents are balking, his grandmother (and primary caregiver) is absolutely in favor.  The entire family's poor.

I'm gonna give this boy a dolly. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 09, 2010, 07:54:48 am »

One of the gifts I'm giving to my sister is a painting of her baby, in the womb.  She's due in February, so I'm using her sonogram pictures as inspiration.
GarlicandMint
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 09, 2010, 09:44:17 am »

I was just talking about Skittles vodka on a homebrewing list I frequent.  I'm equal parts intrigued and horrified.  Cheesy  I am seriously considering making some booze bears for New Year's Eve.

Brina

The most excellent part about infusing spirits at home is I don't actually have to homebrew anything!  Wink I wish I'd have heard of booze bears while I was still in college...could've made some parties much more fun! Not to mention not obviously alcoholic! Grin
GarlicandMint
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 09, 2010, 09:46:00 am »

I'm gonna give this boy a dolly. Smiley

All little boys need a dolly! My brother carried around his dolly "Michael" for YEARS- he would drag it about and teach it to hunt and fish, lol! Now he's 18 and claims to not even remember faithful little Michael!  Cry
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 11, 2010, 09:14:36 pm »

The only thing I can really "craft" this year is via baking. I don't have any space where I can paint to my whim's desire, so that's out of the question. The only other "craft" I do is writing. Cheesy

I've already got a collection of stuff I want to bake, including throwing myself into the fray of Christmas dinner (which is at my house for the first time in several years). My mom just does stuffing, and doesn't do anything to the bird, so I'm still figuring out what I'm going to add (maybe just an herbal butter under the skin? but then again, my family is butter-phobic so I have a feeling thats not going to work, because all I'm going to hear is WON'T THAT MAKE IT FATTENING? THE MEAT IS GOING TO BE GREASY! uggggghhh). I'm also going to make deserts ~. (A Ukrainian apple cake and hopefully a sweet potato pie.)

For Yule I'm going to bake some bread (a rye sourdough, but I need a recipe) and make my own eggnog (and then probably some for Christmas dinner, too). I'm waiting to hear back from a friend on her gluten-free buttermilk gingerbread, because I'd love to make that too.

I am going to be soooo fat when this season is done. Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)