The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2020, 09:35:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2020, 09:35:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: consequences, and when things go wrong or not as planned.  (Read 12807 times)
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 07, 2011, 12:48:56 am »

I have also noticed that moon time effects how my spells come out.
I'm a Santero, and for folks that don't really utilize the moon cycles, they do significantly affect my workings and trabajos. I'd say the moon cycles are pretty darn close to a universal law or system for just about every form of pagan.

Please help my babies with a click.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 07, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »

I'm a Santero, and for folks that don't really utilize the moon cycles, they do significantly affect my workings and trabajos. I'd say the moon cycles are pretty darn close to a universal law or system for just about every form of pagan.

Nitpick alert: I would probably qualify that by saying "every earth-centered form of pagan." It's a lot more emphasized in some traditions than others, and from things you've mentioned to me, I'd say that your spirituality is more closely aligned with nature than some paths. (Also, I think the poster you're quoting was referring to HER moon time, as in time of the month.)

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: January 07, 2011, 07:01:18 pm »

Nitpick alert: I would probably qualify that by saying "every earth-centered form of pagan." It's a lot more emphasized in some traditions than others, and from things you've mentioned to me, I'd say that your spirituality is more closely aligned with nature than some paths. (Also, I think the poster you're quoting was referring to HER moon time, as in time of the month.)

Eh.  As a non-earth-centered pagan, I'll complain less about moon cycles than some other things--depending upon exactly how it's put.  Although my path doesn't emphasize or align with nature, the phase of the moon does come into it *somewhat*.  Not in the sense of having some magical or spiritual significance in and of itself, but because the first sighting of the new crescent marks the beginning of the month on my religious calendar.  If someone expects me to find some sort of Big Cosmic Significance in it, yeah, I won't be doing that on a religious level.  But moon cycles being significant?  Well...  Yeah, sort of, kind of.

Even that won't be universal, obviously, but "moon cycles" does cover a lot more ground than "earth-based".

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 07, 2011, 07:14:06 pm »

Eh.  As a non-earth-centered pagan, I'll complain less about moon cycles than some other things--depending upon exactly how it's put.  Although my path doesn't emphasize or align with nature, the phase of the moon does come into it *somewhat*.  Not in the sense of having some magical or spiritual significance in and of itself, but because the first sighting of the new crescent marks the beginning of the month on my religious calendar.  If someone expects me to find some sort of Big Cosmic Significance in it, yeah, I won't be doing that on a religious level.  But moon cycles being significant?  Well...  Yeah, sort of, kind of.

Even that won't be universal, obviously, but "moon cycles" does cover a lot more ground than "earth-based".

You're right. Also, I phrased my point pretty badly, and I'm sorry for that. What I mean is that there's such a varying degree of significance that I personally would have a hard time agreeing with it being described as universal.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #19: January 07, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »

You're right. Also, I phrased my point pretty badly, and I'm sorry for that. What I mean is that there's such a varying degree of significance that I personally would have a hard time agreeing with it being described as universal.

Oh, definitely.  I'd have trouble classifying pretty much anything as "universal" in paganism, really, and this is no exception.  I was just picking a nit on your nitpick, sorry about that.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

omoyemaya
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 07, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »

I personally would have a hard time agreeing with it being described as universal.
I think you're just picking on me really. I mean, did you really have to post  a whole nitpick alert considering I littered my statement with qualifiers like "pretty darn close to" and "just about". Come on, how many more exclusions do you really need.  Tongue

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: January 07, 2011, 09:05:12 pm »

I think you're just picking on me really. I mean, did you really have to post  a whole nitpick alert considering I littered my statement with qualifiers like "pretty darn close to" and "just about". Come on, how many more exclusions do you really need.  Tongue

I wouldn't say it's "just about" universal either, though.  Mostly because when you say that, it reads (to me, at least) as "it's universal, except for those people, but they don't really count".  It's a feature of some pagan religions.  "Universal" isn't the right word even with corollaries tacked on.

(I should mention that this issue, not the moon cycle thing but defining paganism and what is allegedly universal or "just about" universal to pagan religions, has a long and bitter history on this forum.  It's possible that's playing into this somewhat.)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

omoyemaya
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 07, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »

I wouldn't say it's "just about" universal either, though.  Mostly because when you say that, it reads (to me, at least) as "it's universal, except for those people, but they don't really count".  It's a feature of some pagan religions.  "Universal" isn't the right word even with corollaries tacked on.

(I should mention that this issue, not the moon cycle thing but defining paganism and what is allegedly universal or "just about" universal to pagan religions, has a long and bitter history on this forum.  It's possible that's playing into this somewhat.)
I can definately see your point there STAR, but this is definatekly Stephy picking on me here, and I will not accept any other logic or argument otherwise. She knows it was her, and the sooner she admits that I WIN... the happier we (and by "we", I mean "ME") all will be... tra-la-la-la-la.  Grin

stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 07, 2011, 09:13:42 pm »

I should mention that this issue, not the moon cycle thing but defining paganism and what is allegedly universal or "just about" universal to pagan religions, has a long and bitter history on this forum.  It's possible that's playing into this somewhat.

On my part, it really is. It's become something of a trigger word, and I'm sorry if I reacted harshly.

Nick: Don't play "I WIN" with me. If you haven't won in all the years you've known me, you won't now. Wink

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #24: January 08, 2011, 07:11:24 am »

I can definately see your point there STAR, but this is definatekly Stephy picking on me here, and I will not accept any other logic or argument otherwise. She knows it was her, and the sooner she admits that I WIN... the happier we (and by "we", I mean "ME") all will be... tra-la-la-la-la.  Grin

Okay.  I want to be very clear here that the following is not a moderator directive.  I am speaking as a fellow poster, not as a moderator.

That said:  I know you guys have this history and you go way back and all, and this is just playful banter between you.  I'm not either of you, though.  I'm trying to have a discussion, and responses like this one aren't really conducive to that.  I'll admit I'm nitpicking somewhat, but this business of what is or isn't universal is quite serious to me.  I'm finding it a bit frustrating to have my points brushed off in playful banter like this.  Again, not acting as moderator here, not telling you that you have to do anything--but as a fellow poster, I could wish you would be more aware of context and your audience when posting things like the above.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: January 08, 2011, 09:39:42 pm »

I'd say the moon cycles are pretty darn close to a universal law or system for just about every form of pagan.

I'd say, "Uhhhh ... NO."

Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 09, 2011, 11:25:39 am »

I'd say, "Uhhhh ... NO."

I was referring to menstruation, sorry if that did not come across clear in my post. As far as menstruation effecting spell work, it depends on the persons own alignment with the process of menstruation and how and if they can use it as a coorespondence. Not all people work with those energies and some that I know do no spell work at all when they are menstruating.

I also believe that Moon cycles Can effect spell work but do not always effect it depending on the relationship and resonance the person who is casting the spell.

People each uniquily resonate with the various avalible energies. So I believe depending on how they utilize these energies in a spell there can be benefits or consequences, or maybe just a nuetral occurance.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 09, 2011, 11:59:57 am »

Still a big no, truthfully, I've never met in RL or online anyone, till you, that based spellwork on that. 
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 09, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

Wait, I am wrong, I have known women to use their cycle for bloodwork, but not for energyworkings.  Are you meaning something like that?
Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 09, 2011, 12:40:08 pm »

Wait, I am wrong, I have known women to use their cycle for bloodwork, but not for energyworkings.  Are you meaning something like that?

For me personally, other than the deliberate use of blood to consecrate my runes, I just noticed that my spell work is sluggish when I happen to be menstruating.

It is probably not a big deal. Since my spell work is largely the management and focus of energy, being PMS can be slightly distracting at the edge of my focus. Not my A game.

I don't ascribe any special magical force to my time of the month. I just notice that it influences my mood,( sometimes for the good.)

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.