The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 22, 2021, 08:43:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2021, 08:43:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: The Cauldron's Thirteenth Anniversary Today (13 Dec 10)  (Read 9816 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: December 13, 2010, 05:00:09 pm »

Today is the thirteenth anniversary of the day The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened for posting!

Thirteen years ago  -- after three frustrating days when only Elspeth, Ann (Empireone), and myself could post -- The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened its doors to the general public on the Delphi online service. This was before it was known as Delphiforums and back when user forums, then known as "Custom Forums" had a presence on both the paid Delphi Online Service (in wonderful a pure text/command line like environment) and on their new free Web forum version. The forum was an instant success with 60 or 70 messages posted that December and hitting 1000 messages within six months or so. That's 1000 messages total, not 1000 messages a month.

The Cauldron was started as a Yule gift from me to Elspeth -- you had to pay Delphi for forums back then (six months in advance). It was staffed by Elspeth, Ann, and myself with an able assist from our friends from the dying GEnie Online Service. We started a web site for the forum in the web space I got with my Delphi account in January of 1998, although we did not get domain name for a couple of years.

Our forum has done well in the years that followed, although TC has had to move around a lot. From Delphi to a mailing list. Then back to Delphiforums (Delphi's new name). When Delphi's poor service and pricing got to be too much to much in early 2004, Bob offered us server space and we moved to our own site. First with Beehive's Delphiforums-like software (two incarnations), then (very reluctantly) to SMF early in 2007 when it became apparent that Beehive software just could not meet the needs of this forum. Bob's server gave up the ghost in 2008 and we had to move to our own Linode VPS. The first time in our existence that have had to pay a monthly bill for the message board. Fortunately, our members have stepping up and are donating every month to make continuing this board possible. As the SMF software is have problems, we may be moving to another forum software in 2011 -- at least these time we should be able to take the current messages with us.

It has been a very interesting 13 years. Sometimes it has been interesting in the "may you live in interesting times" sense of "interesting," but mostly it has been interesting in the good sense of the word. Lyricfox and I met through TC and married over five and a half years ago. We all made many new friends via TC. It's also been a lot of work. Work which has been shared with our staff members -- without them, this forum would not be here today. This is especially true this last few years as the hosts have been dealing with cancer and have not been nearly as active on the board as we had been in the past. However, the reason The Cauldron's message board is still here isn't the Hosts or the staff, it's our members: the wonderful people reading this message (and now funding the monthly server costs). Without you, this forum would be a ghostly place haunted by memories of discussions past.

It's been a great thirteen years. In "Internet time" we are as ancient as the dinosaurs, but we are still here, still doing our thing, and still enjoying ourselves doing it. We have great plans for The Cauldron's 13th year and we hope you will join us and help make them happen. With any luck, these plans will work out better than our plans for this last year did. Oh well, you win some and you lose some, but just being around 13 years is a big win. Thanks for being along for the ride!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 13, 2010, 05:33:06 pm »

Today is the thirteenth anniversary of the day The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened for posting!

Happy anniversary and many more! Thanks, guys, for providing this place for us all to gather and shoot our mouths off (and even sometimes listen...I've learned lots here...)

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 13, 2010, 07:12:18 pm »

TO-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA!

*cough*

I mean . . . Wow, it's been THAT long? Well done, ALL of you! I've been here for probably 11 of those 13, starting when I was Wiccish, through my no-longer-Wiccish-not-sure-what-I-am phase, to my still-nascent-four-years-later Tibetan Buddhist time. All through those years, TC has been here--and a source of information and support. You guys were the best when I lost my mom two years ago. I still smile when I remember telling her that people were pouring blessings down on her like water--and she quipped "So that's why I'm wet half the time!"

You're the BEST. ALL of you.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 13, 2010, 07:55:43 pm »

Happy birthday, TC, and many many more! And a great big thanks to the amazing staff and regulars who make it the awesome place it is. Though I may be here sporadicly at best, TC will always be home.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: December 13, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »

And I just noticed that I was only ten when this forum started up.  Or maybe I have noticed it before and I keep forgetting.....

*watches as other posters begin to feel old and retreat into a corner*

Anyway, I've been here for six of those thirteen years and I can't wait until next year when I can say that I've been here for half of TC's existence.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: December 13, 2010, 08:32:06 pm »

Happy birthday, TC.  I wish that Ann and Elspeth were here to celebrate with us.

Sperran
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 13, 2010, 11:49:46 pm »

*pops open champagne*

Woohoo! Happy Birthday TC! 13 years is a LONG time in internet age! I've only been here for 3.5, right after the move to SMF.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 13, 2010, 11:57:11 pm »

Woohoo! Happy Birthday TC! 13 years is a LONG time in internet age! I've only been here for 3.5, right after the move to SMF.

Happy Anniversary, the Cauldron!  Thanks to all the mods and hosts and staff for all their hard work.
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 14, 2010, 02:29:23 am »

Happy birthday TC! I've only been here for just over 13 months, but I've loved every minute of it. Thanks to all staff of every level for keeping it going and please, keep it going!

(Also, thanks to Mel for reminding me that I am 13 years older than he is!)

Is it me or are there lots of number 13's in this post? Huh

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 14, 2010, 04:42:18 am »

And I just noticed that I was only ten when this forum started up.  Or maybe I have noticed it before and I keep forgetting.....

*watches as other posters begin to feel old and retreat into a corner*

Anyway, I've been here for six of those thirteen years and I can't wait until next year when I can say that I've been here for half of TC's existence.

I would've been 7 and a half. ..... Wooow. Cheesy

Gosh, I remember when I first started coming here. Profile says it'll be 4 years come April. I was still kind of in that Wiccish phase, completely amazed that other people were doing these things that were so different from the only other pagan forum I had been frequenting, and getting so tired about the constant repeat questions and no one every really talking about anything. I also remember being totally amazed in learning that most modern forum software could totally handle double-posting, and that it was pretty much an urban myth that it was any more taxing than regular posts. Those things totally changed my world, for some reason. Cheesy

Thank you for making this place, and for keeping it open and relatively sane these 13 years. Smiley

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: December 14, 2010, 05:52:21 am »

Happy (slightly belated because yesterday was crazy Internet-access-wise) birthday to us!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: December 14, 2010, 08:11:49 am »

Happy birthday, TC.  I wish that Ann and Elspeth were here to celebrate with us.

So do I. There absence makes me feel very old.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 14, 2010, 08:21:22 am »

Oh wow, I had no idea TC had been around that long!  I've been here but a few months, but TC is slowly becoming my new internet home.  Thank you all for the input you've compiled here in those 13 years, you've truly made TC a rare gem of the internet.  Smiley
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 14, 2010, 10:00:24 am »

Shocked That's at least a thousand in Internet years, isn't it?

Happy anniversary, TC!  Thank you Randall, Lyric, staff, volunteers, and posters for making this such a remarkable and wonderful resource.  May the next thirteen be just as wonderful!

catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 14, 2010, 10:10:14 am »

Happy anniversary!

I may not post much, but I come here and read every day. I've learned so much from the people on this site. I can't tell you how much TC has helped me. Thank you Randall, and everyone, for everything you do here!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)