The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2021, 09:42:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2021, 09:42:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: The Cauldron's Thirteenth Anniversary Today (13 Dec 10)  (Read 10528 times)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #15: December 14, 2010, 10:18:19 am »

Shocked That's at least a thousand in Internet years, isn't it?

I guess that's about right.  Cheesy
Don't start thinking how old this makes usCheesy Grin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TC!!!
May you stay solid as a rock in the internet currents.

Thank you Randall, Staff and everybody around.
I am really fond of this place and its members.
Stay the way you are, you are awesome.  Kiss

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 14, 2010, 11:43:15 am »

Anyway, I've been here for six of those thirteen years and I can't wait until next year when I can say that I've been here for half of TC's existence.

We whippersnappers won't be so young then, eh?   Wink

I've been lurking/participating since 2001? I think? If my memory isn't broken and I'm right that's nine years. Holy crap.

Happy Birthday TC! I've made so many dear friends here, and learned so much. I consider you part of my family, and really, there's no line between my life here and "real life"--with all the support I've received and the insights I've gained, this is as real as my life gets.  Smiley

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Lifewish
Journeyman
Last Login:October 06, 2011, 11:27:39 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 14, 2010, 05:20:57 pm »

Today is the thirteenth anniversary of the day The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened for posting!

Happy (slightly belated) Anniversary, TC, and many, many thanks to the people who made it possible!  May there be many more celebrations.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: December 14, 2010, 05:33:08 pm »

I also remember being totally amazed in learning that most modern forum software could totally handle double-posting, and that it was pretty much an urban myth that it was any more taxing than regular posts.
I suspect it was always an urban legend.  I can't speak for early internet forums, but on the old dial-up BBSes, this wasn't an issue (at least, not by the early '90s when I came along, and there wasn't a residual preference for no double posting even on boards using older software).

I did my Cauldron-reading early yesterday, before this thread went up, so I'm late to the party.  Happy birthday, TC!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: December 14, 2010, 06:03:02 pm »

I suspect it was always an urban legend.  I can't speak for early internet forums, but on the old dial-up BBSes, this wasn't an issue (at least, not by the early '90s when I came along, and there wasn't a residual preference for no double posting even on boards using older software).

Old dial-up BBS software would not have the problem as they did not use a database server to store messages nor did it usually have a lot of people using it at the same time.

Poorly written Internet board software can be very database-abusive. Combine database-abusive software with older hardware and combining three or four posts into one actually does make things more server friendly as each message can mean 2 or 3 database queries in poorly written board software. Most software isn't written that poorly today and the hardware is much more powerful than it was 5-8 years ago.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: December 14, 2010, 11:49:55 pm »

And I just noticed that I was only ten when this forum started up.  Or maybe I have noticed it before and I keep forgetting.....

*watches as other posters begin to feel old and retreat into a corner*

Anyway, I've been here for six of those thirteen years and I can't wait until next year when I can say that I've been here for half of TC's existence.

I'm in pretty much the same place as you Smiley . If I remember right, we joined within a month or so of each other...

Anyway, sorry I missed the party! *hands out cake* Oh, and tankards of my latest batch of alcoholic ginger beer for all. I'm told this brew came out very well by my in-house taste testers Grin.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: December 15, 2010, 12:19:24 am »

Old dial-up BBS software would not have the problem as they did not use a database server to store messages nor did it usually have a lot of people using it at the same time.

Poorly written Internet board software can be very database-abusive. Combine database-abusive software with older hardware and combining three or four posts into one actually does make things more server friendly as each message can mean 2 or 3 database queries in poorly written board software. Most software isn't written that poorly today and the hardware is much more powerful than it was 5-8 years ago.
Aha, now I know!

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: December 15, 2010, 08:07:05 am »

Aha, now I know!

Probably more than you wanted/needed.  Embarrassed

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #23: December 15, 2010, 08:53:38 am »

Today is the thirteenth anniversary of the day The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened for posting!

I'm a bit late (I blame it on not being able to sit for very long), but happy birthday TC!

This place has become one of the most constant things in my life. Most other boards I have left, for one reason or another, yet TC continues to be a home for me. I talk about it constantly in my non-internet life, and for the past three and a half years it has informed my spiritual life and led me to grow in ways I never could have imagined as the lost 21 year old I was.

Thank you so much, Randall and Lyric, all the staff, and the wonderful members who make this place what it is.

*throws streamers and confetti* WOOOO PARTY!

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: December 15, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »

Probably more than you wanted/needed.  Embarrassed
<chuckle> Nope!  I very nearly did an infodump of my own of the different-but-roughly-equivalent issues that dial-ups had, until I remembered that you knew it already, probably better than I, and most other folks wouldn't care.  (It's history, which interests me even - especially - when I was part of it, and it's geeky, which ditto.)

Make sure you have a couple of old rocking chairs, so that if I ever make it down to Texas, you and I can sit on the porch and swap "300 baud both ways through the snow" stories Cheesy.

Sunflower

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: December 15, 2010, 11:06:38 pm »

Make sure you have a couple of old rocking chairs, so that if I ever make it down to Texas, you and I can sit on the porch and swap "300 baud both ways through the snow" stories Cheesy.

I have a few. The first modem I ever had (borrowed from my uncle who was out of town for a couple of months one summer) was 300 baud. I was in San Antonio, however, so any mention of snow would be lying.  Grin

Randall
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 15, 2010, 11:35:14 pm »

Yayyyy!!!  CeleBRATE!!!

Congratulations, guys.  I've been here since Delphi, followed you to Yahoogroups and haven't missed very many days since.  Thirteen years is AMAZING longevity on the internet; you guys have to take credit for that.  Congratulations.  Time to PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRTY!!! 

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 17, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »

Happy birthday TC!  I've been here on and off since the return to delphi.  I credit this community for much of my transformation from idealistic naive old teenager to the realistic cynical young man I am today.  (working retail added most of the cynicism.)

Derek, Proud to be a Wonderer of the Mists.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: December 17, 2010, 08:44:21 pm »

(working retail added most of the cynicism.)

What?! It wasn't me?!?! I must be falling down on the job. I'll try to be an better example of the cynic. Grin

Randall
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: December 22, 2010, 09:10:49 pm »

What?! It wasn't me?!?! I must be falling down on the job. I'll try to be an better example of the cynic. Grin

HAHA.  TC definately refined it's expression.  But nothing leads one to a lack faith in humanity more than humanity itself.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)