The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 10:01:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 10:01:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What I've been working on...  (Read 2806 times)
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 11, 2007, 12:15:45 pm »

I haven't been in here much lately because I"ve been working on stuff to put on a website!  I hope that it'll take off.  My friend and I have been working together on it.  She's been doing the crocheted items and I put all my doll clothes and such on there and a few baby slings.  I made a really pretty one that I'm very proud of last night too that's embroidered with a funky fringe on it and a butterfly applique.  I'm not trying to spam, but I do hope that you guys will check it out and let me know what you think.  The website is still a work in progress (we're still trying to figure out how the hosting site works) but any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

www.hyenacart.com/CrunchyMamas/

Ana

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: June 11, 2007, 12:32:27 pm »

I'm not trying to spam, but I do hope that you guys will check it out and let me know what you think. 

I know you're not trying to, but...  you kind of did anyway.  Sad  When posting a message like this trying to get people to come visit a commercial site that you're involved in, you really need to get permission first.  (And this is the kind of thing that I suspect we'd approve for an active member such as yourself!  But you do need to ask.  Wink )  You can read our full Advertising Guidelines here.  There is an exception made for regular posters putting up one-time announcements, but it applies to non-commercial stuff, whereas this seems to be pretty definitely a commercial venture.

I'm going to let this stand because it seems like you're looking for feedback and not just advertising to us to get us all to go spend money at your site, which is in a little different spirit than the things the rule is meant to keep away.  Wink  But just something to keep in mind in the future.

Thanks!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 11, 2007, 05:44:43 pm »

I know you're not trying to, but...  you kind of did anyway.  Sad  When posting a message like this trying to get people to come visit a commercial site that you're involved in, you really need to get permission first.  (And this is the kind of thing that I suspect we'd approve for an active member such as yourself!  But you do need to ask.  Wink )  You can read our full Advertising Guidelines here.  There is an exception made for regular posters putting up one-time announcements, but it applies to non-commercial stuff, whereas this seems to be pretty definitely a commercial venture.

I'm going to let this stand because it seems like you're looking for feedback and not just advertising to us to get us all to go spend money at your site, which is in a little different spirit than the things the rule is meant to keep away.  Wink  But just something to keep in mind in the future.

Thanks!

Sorry!  I looked for a specific section for that kind of thing, but I didn't find one.  I really am just looking for feedback and suggestions.  If people want to buy stuff, cool, but mostly I'm just excited about the fact that we now HAVE  a website because up till this point I've just been making stuff, and never had anywhere to showcase it or sell it.  I'll definitely ask for permission next time Wink  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:47:00 pm by Ana » Logged

Ana

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 11, 2007, 05:55:37 pm »

The website is still a work in progress (we're still trying to figure out how the hosting site works) but any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

Requiring people to log in or create an account before they can put items in a shopping cart will probably lose you some business. People don't like to give out private info or create accounts unless they have to. It works better to let people shop and then ask them to give info when they are ready to check out. Creating an account for future use should be optional even then if at all possible. Many people simply do not like to do this (another username and password to try to remember).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 11, 2007, 08:46:56 pm »

Requiring people to log in or create an account before they can put items in a shopping cart will probably lose you some business. People don't like to give out private info or create accounts unless they have to. It works better to let people shop and then ask them to give info when they are ready to check out. Creating an account for future use should be optional even then if at all possible. Many people simply do not like to do this (another username and password to try to remember).

Thanks Smiley  Unfortunately, that's not something we have control over.  It's just the way the hosting site works.  I agree though, I wasn't entirely thrilled with it either, but people can browse before creating an account I think.  I can submit that to the site though!

Ana

Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 02:37:28 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 14, 2007, 10:04:37 am »

I'm not trying to spam, but I do hope that you guys will check it out and let me know what you think.  The website is still a work in progress (we're still trying to figure out how the hosting site works) but any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

While the background is a pretty picture it is too bold and busy to easily read text on.  Since it IS a picture it also does not tile seamlessly when the viewed at higher resolutions.  Keep your logo with the monkey and leaves, but switch the main background to something very plain that compliments the colors in the logo.

There are too many empty cells in the merchandise table.

Some text centers, some text is left justified in an unpredictable way.

You've got the basic idea about keeping your merchandise photo formats identical for each class of item.  Take that to the next level, and make a photo area somewhere take your photos; some place where you can control lighting, and backgrounds.  Although some items are "merchandised" better with additional props in the photos, for your products I'd be tempted to recommend going ultra simple/plain and let nothing distract from the item.

The basic rule of thumb I use when I build websites for my customers is "Less is More" and "Keep It Simple and 'User-Stupid'"

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 15, 2007, 01:38:11 am »

While the background is a pretty picture it is too bold and busy to easily read text on.  Since it IS a picture it also does not tile seamlessly when the viewed at higher resolutions.  Keep your logo with the monkey and leaves, but switch the main background to something very plain that compliments the colors in the logo.

There are too many empty cells in the merchandise table.

Some text centers, some text is left justified in an unpredictable way.

You've got the basic idea about keeping your merchandise photo formats identical for each class of item.  Take that to the next level, and make a photo area somewhere take your photos; some place where you can control lighting, and backgrounds.  Although some items are "merchandised" better with additional props in the photos, for your products I'd be tempted to recommend going ultra simple/plain and let nothing distract from the item.

The basic rule of thumb I use when I build websites for my customers is "Less is More" and "Keep It Simple and 'User-Stupid'"

Thanks.  I'm not sold on the background either because it makes things too hard to read, but my partner loves it, so I'm trying to pick my battles I guess...  We're trying to work with what we have.  I've seen some other sites on the host site that are really great, but they probably pay a lot more per month.  We pay the minimum amount at this point, so we don't have as much to work with, but all the suggestions do help, and we're trying to improve it every day!

Ana

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)