The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2022, 06:12:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2022, 06:12:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Crane Bags  (Read 12857 times)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: December 16, 2010, 01:58:02 pm »

It might also be representative of folk practices surrounding the family sewing bag. In folklore its used to trap fairies and demons, it holds magic objects and is enchanted itself. It could be related to the existing Piseog bag tradition where to bless or curse youd place a number of things into a bag and hang it from a tree on the land of the person you want to effect.

Could you point me toward more information about these two traditions? I've never heard of these before, and I'd love to find out more.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Gonner
Journeyman
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:45:00 am
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 16, 2010, 04:25:22 pm »

Could you point me toward more information about these two traditions? I've never heard of these before, and I'd love to find out more.
Its folk culture so you could try searching the journals, maybe the cranebag, using Piseog as a keyword or through the library you could try for Sean O Suileabhain Nosanna agus Piseoga na gael, I think it might be published as 'Irish folk custom and belief' there. Or there are some eddie lenihan video's on youtube where he discusses the piseog bags. I think he mentions the sewing bag in folkstories in 'The devil is an Irishman'. Its mentioned in most versions of the Jack O Lantern story....

He mentions the piseog bags and what goes into a typical one at the end of this part of the interview and the start of the second part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuTIFYUD6yE
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: December 16, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

Cool--thank you!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 16, 2010, 04:41:53 pm »

Yes, thanks for sharing! Really interesting. Smiley

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 16, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »

Youre welcome Smiley Dont spread the info around too much it took centuries of struggle for that stuff to be around today itd be crappy to see t become a generic neopagan thing. ike a fairy bag or a leprechaun bag or somethin

Yes, thanks for sharing! Really interesting. Smiley

Taliesin would there be a British thing similar to piseog bags? I remember reading about versionshat woud be buried on someones land there... but that wouldve been in archaeology stuff around the time of the jacobites
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: December 16, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »

Taliesin would there be a British thing similar to piseog bags? I remember reading about versionshat woud be buried on someones land there... but that wouldve been in archaeology stuff around the time of the jacobites

Possibly swan skins...

http://www.archaeology.org/0811/etc/witches.html

Similar sort of thoughts behind 'witch bottles', too:

http://www.archaeology.org/0011/newsbriefs/wine.html
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 28, 2022, 12:00:41 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: December 17, 2010, 03:51:35 am »

Its not a shaman thing, thats north america not Ireland....
Nitpick (but some nits really need to be picked):  It's not North America either, it's Siberia.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: December 17, 2010, 05:26:04 am »

Nitpick (but some nits really need to be picked):  It's not North America either, it's Siberia.

Sunflower
Sorry I was thinking more along the lines of americans embracing their lands spiritual traditions or the sham man types who cynically exploit the native traditions like that lad who got people killed in a sweat lodge there last year. Are there many groups in siberia? Or is there one famous person who published in siberia around the start of the 20th century ike a Shaman Gardiner type?
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: December 17, 2010, 05:47:41 am »

Sorry I was thinking more along the lines of americans embracing their lands spiritual traditions or the sham man types who cynically exploit the native traditions like that lad who got people killed in a sweat lodge there last year. Are there many groups in siberia? Or is there one famous person who published in siberia around the start of the 20th century ike a Shaman Gardiner type?
Try thinking along the lines of Siberian indigenous tribes and their traditional practices.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 17, 2010, 06:54:36 am »

Try thinking along the lines of Siberian indigenous tribes and their traditional practices.

Sunflower

Ah right, so is neopagan shamanism related to siberian shamanism then? In a way that it wouldnt be related to native american shamanism or like norweigan shamanism? Or is it their version of the medicine bag thats being copied?
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 17, 2010, 07:27:50 am »

Ah right, so is neopagan shamanism related to siberian shamanism then? In a way that it wouldnt be related to native american shamanism or like norweigan shamanism? Or is it their version of the medicine bag thats being copied?

Here's the thing... "shamanism" is a very problematic term when it's used to refer to any non-siberian cultures. It implies that all native cultures have the same shamanic figure and the same underlying religious structure and thus work the same. Here's a thread on "Celtic shamanism" which explores why "shaman" is a loaded and often incorrectly-used term.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: December 17, 2010, 09:21:22 am »

Ellen has covered this politely.  I, OTOH, am thoroughly fed up with repeating myself (you can see what I have to say when I'm being more polite, at the thread she links to), so I'm going to be very blunt.

There is NO SUCH THING as "Native American shamanism" - this was the nit I was picking.  There is, similarly, NO SUCH THING as "Norwegian shamanism".

There is - and I suspect this may be the point you're trying to make - no such thing as "Irish shamanism" or "Celtic shamanism".  But you're not going to successfully make that point by implying that it's somehow more legitimate to apply the word "shaman" to Native American or Norwegian (by which I assume you're referring to the Saami, many of whom aren't in Norway at all?) practices than to Irish/Celtic.  The Piseog bag, and the AODA's Crane Bag, are just as much "a shaman thing" as "Americans embracing their land's spiritual traditions":  that is, all of them are not at all "a shaman thing".

There are, yes, neopagans who use the word "shamanism" to describe/identify what they do; their use of the word is no more legitimate than applying it to non-Siberian indigenous cultures.  I'll admit it's hard to refer to them without using that word, but it's not that hard to use it in a way that distinguishes them from indigenous Siberian shamans - in the context in which you used it, "neoshaman" would have served nicely; there are other terms in use as well.

Sunflower

Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 17, 2010, 09:33:51 am »

Here's the thing... "shamanism" is a very problematic term when it's used to refer to any non-siberian cultures. It implies that all native cultures have the same shamanic figure and the same underlying religious structure and thus work the same. Here's a thread on "Celtic shamanism" which explores why "shaman" is a loaded and often incorrectly-used term.

Oooooh I see, thanks for that. OWould I be right in saying that n this sig atleast the popular critical thought is that shamanism unless it relates to folk tradition is an invalid practice? I was completely lost there when siberia was mentioned lol.

Id have a similar view on druids myself. I wouldnt say neopagan druidry is invalid but an historical druidry in Ireland is questionable imo and someone claiming they are an Irish or gaelic druid following /reconstructing an historical trad rather then following a a blended neopagan druidry might be up the swanny
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 17, 2010, 09:35:38 am »

Ellen has covered this politely.  I, OTOH, am thoroughly fed up with repeating myself (you can see what I have to say when I'm being more polite, at the thread she links to), so I'm going to be very blunt.
I remember you now sunflower, and I remember why I dont involve myself with the site. See yah love  I hope whatever is makin you as unhappy as you are clears up.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #29: December 17, 2010, 09:42:20 am »

I remember you now sunflower, and I remember why I dont involve myself with the site. See yah love  I hope whatever is makin you as unhappy as you are clears up.

Um. Sunflower wasn't ranting at you personally. She actually explained herself very well while also conveying an annoyance of hers - that the term "shaman" gets misunderstood and co-opted by folks who don't know any better, or are into the New-Agey spin of things. I'm sorry you interpreted that as a personal attack, but she's a good person, a great mod, and cares a lot about this site and the religions on here.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)