The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2022, 06:49:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2022, 06:49:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Crane Bags  (Read 12858 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 28, 2022, 12:00:41 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: December 17, 2010, 10:49:38 am »

Would I be right in saying that n this sig atleast the popular critical thought is that shamanism unless it relates to folk tradition is an invalid practice?
No, you'd be mistaken.  Since we're not the Pagan Licensing Bureau, we don't much concern ourselves with the validity of any given set of practices - and in fact, uses of the word "valid" without a referent (valid as what?) usually are challenged.  Many of us do, however, get quite fussy about whether things are appropriately labelled.  The practices that are often collectively referred to as "neoshamanism" (etc) are - or at least can be - a sound and viable practice; they're just not shamanism.    Words, after all, mean things; that's what they're for.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #31: February 13, 2011, 03:40:37 am »

Youre welcome Smiley Dont spread the info around too much it took centuries of struggle for that stuff to be around today itd be crappy to see t become a generic neopagan thing. ike a fairy bag or a leprechaun bag or somethin

I hear that Nuadu! An aunt-in-law of mine did a degree in Anglo-Irish literature, and lent me some books by William Carleton who pretty much recorded peasantry life by basing his stories from elements he lived and encountered during his upbringing. I came across many examples charms, terms used to refer to charmers&cursers, even an example of a charmer blessing a house in 4 directions. A factor that hinders from me elaborating on them online is the fear of all of the Irish "Traditional Witch" diaspora who learned the "family traditions" from their grannies to start using the terms out of the blue  Cheesy.....another thing about Carleton, was it was interesting to see him write Irish phrases in phonetics, before the language was standardised.

At least since the piseog was mentioned, can say to those interested that cailleach phiseogach,&piseogaí are ordinary terms for wise-woman, sorceresses, and charm workers. Piseogaí being more genderless, in relation to either male or female.

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 28, 2022, 12:00:41 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: February 13, 2011, 06:42:05 am »

cailleach [etc] are ordinary terms for wise-woman [etc]...
Oh.  Oh, of course; that makes sense.  That explains something that's been niggling me for years - a very tiny thing, but it niggled.  Thank you!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #33: February 13, 2011, 09:30:30 am »

Oh.  Oh, of course; that makes sense.  That explains something that's been niggling me for years - a very tiny thing, but it niggled.  Thank you!

Sunflower

Indeed pretty interesting.
*adding my thanks*

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 13, 2011, 09:59:56 am »

Indeed pretty interesting.
*adding my thanks*
No probs!  Cheesy

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Gonner
Journeyman
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:45:00 am
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #35: February 26, 2011, 01:45:58 am »

I hear that Nuadu! An aunt-in-law of mine did a degree in Anglo-Irish literature, and lent me some books by William Carleton who pretty much recorded peasantry life by basing his stories from elements he lived and encountered during his upbringing. I came across many examples charms, terms used to refer to charmers&cursers, even an example of a charmer blessing a house in 4 directions. A factor that hinders from me elaborating on them online is the fear of all of the Irish "Traditional Witch" diaspora who learned the "family traditions" from their grannies to start using the terms out of the blue  Cheesy.....another thing about Carleton, was it was interesting to see him write Irish phrases in phonetics, before the language was standardised.

I havent seen that before it does sound interesting... and Ive found myself expanding on my concerns and asking myself the question is incorporating folk trad into celtic neopaganism damaging it?  we mightbe transposing our trads into another cultural context where naturaly they can only come second to the preexisting culture. It could be like translating peig into english. its not meant to be in english and the anglo expression of it should be flawed. If we could construct a better translation then exists today would we be devaluing the original by making it unessesary to approach it for a proper understanding?

Really is sharing information in the context of neopaganism antithetical to tradition no matter how its used, even though we might value the information in a neopagan context ourselves... arrrg. I suppose it might be the case that the new translation might be so native that it becomes undigestabble without a preexisting understading of the culture with its signs and sybmols... but doesnt that defeat the purpose of translation? :s

its hard having a head!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)