The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 12:33:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 12:33:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I believe in Santa  (Read 11682 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: December 29, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »

DOOD, I never heard of the Tooth Fairy bringing presents... just pocket change! Smiley

My tooth fairy gave me five dollar bills (and I think twenty when I had to get some stuck-loose canine teeth pulled).  I never complained because the other kids were jealous (and $5 went a long way when I was five).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #31: December 29, 2010, 04:55:47 pm »

My tooth fairy gave me five dollar bills (and I think twenty when I had to get some stuck-loose canine teeth pulled).  I never complained because the other kids were jealous (and $5 went a long way when I was five).

Good lord.  I only ever got quarters, as far as I recall.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: December 29, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »

I used to think I was something, getting a dollar per tooth, till the other kids at the stuck-up private school I was attending on a scholarship informed me that they were getting fives and tens.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: December 29, 2010, 06:14:19 pm »

I think it depends on how old you are and how rich your parents are,  The most I heard of when I was a kid was a dollar,  I got quarters.  BUt I'm 44 and the toothfairy stopped in 1976.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: December 29, 2010, 06:21:39 pm »

I think it depends on how old you are and how rich your parents are,  The most I heard of when I was a kid was a dollar,  I got quarters.  BUt I'm 44 and the toothfairy stopped in 1976.

My parents were not exactly rich back then (or now) but my sister and I both got $5 a tooth.  And having to wake up with glitter all over us.

My Spiritual Blog
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #35: December 29, 2010, 06:27:42 pm »

My parents were fairly well off when I was young, but that (and the practice of giving me VHS tapes for teeth) ended not too long after my mom's accident. After a certain point I got nothing for my teeth, IIRC.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #36: December 29, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »

And having to wake up with glitter all over us.

*writes down in "Parenting Ideas" journal*

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #37: December 29, 2010, 07:12:43 pm »

I'm not-quite-31, so mid-late 80's.  My parents were only just starting to dig themselves out of being pretty poor, though, I think.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Spirit Bear
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 11:57:24 pm

Religion: Wiccan (with druidic roots, no pun intended)
TCN ID: Spiritbear

violence isn't nor ever has been the answer...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: December 29, 2010, 09:48:30 pm »

You're aware that you just skipped over every non-Western culture, right? There are a ton of cultures that don't celebrate Christmas, nevermind believe in Santa Claus. I'm in a Western country - the Netherlands - and Santa Claus has only started to become a bit of a thing here over the last decade or so. Traditionally, Sinterklaas - St. Nicholas - is a far more important figure here.

--Chabas
yeah but every culture almost has an incarnation of santa that is true.

The road less traveled, has many signs, "spirit bear was here" is a good sign you aren't on that road...
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: December 29, 2010, 09:53:48 pm »

Really?  Please provide a list of these "incarnations" along with a long list of sources.

My Spiritual Blog
RoseRed
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 03:26:45 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: December 29, 2010, 10:49:07 pm »

I don't think it's even close to all cultures that have a version of Santa. Many western nations do. And many of the "believers" elsewhere are Christian or have been influenced by other western beliefs. I don't think the Santa figure in non western countries was organic and formed with no western influence.  Wink When compare to all the cultures that exist, it's merely a handful that have a joyful wintertime gift giver. Even places that are in the west, don't necessarily have a local Santa. As a child, I certainly don't remember any stories about a fat stranger who watches me sleep, judges my behavior and then breaks into my house and leaves unknown packages.  Cheesy

Where I'm from, the idea of Santa is more of a joke. Used for advertising and tourism. The "Santas" I saw in Jamaica were young muscled men wearing speedos and the red fuzzy hat. They were attempting to get female tourists to sit on their lap for a photo op. (Better than the rum soaked Santa at the mall I say! Tongue) This is certainly not a "version" of Santa anymore than an exotic dancer in a nurse's outfit is a type of Physician's assistant.

When I moved to the U.S. as a child, I didn't buy into the Santa hoopla, because I figured if he were real I would have heard about it already. I mean, why wouldn't he come to Jamaica?  Huh As for the tooth fairy, I didn't believe in that hogwash either. But that didn't stop me from putting my tooth under my pillow in case she existed!  Cheesy
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: December 29, 2010, 11:04:17 pm »

My parents were fairly well off when I was young, but that (and the practice of giving me VHS tapes for teeth) ended not too long after my mom's accident. After a certain point I got nothing for my teeth, IIRC.

When I was thirteen, i had six teeth cut out (no adult teeth behind them) preparatory for braces, the tooth fairy gave me all my teeth back.  I think they are still at my parents house.  As the toothfairy, I have a box of my kids teeth.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #42: December 30, 2010, 01:55:23 am »

When I was thirteen, i had six teeth cut out (no adult teeth behind them) preparatory for braces, the tooth fairy gave me all my teeth back.  I think they are still at my parents house.  As the toothfairy, I have a box of my kids teeth.

So it isn't just my part time job then? I have Elizabeth's in a little box, too!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #43: December 30, 2010, 05:28:27 am »

*writes down in "Parenting Ideas" journal*

Yeah, that idea is so cool.
If I ever happen to babysit a kid that happens to loose a tooth in that time, I will so do this.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: December 30, 2010, 03:07:42 pm »

Exactly. Now, I was -born- in '76, but I don't remember ever getting more than like, two or three bucks for a tooth, and more like one when I was a child.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)