The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2020, 04:29:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 04:29:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: To the Best of Our Knowledge: Can Science be Sacred?  (Read 5540 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 19, 2010, 07:55:18 pm »

I was able to listen to the whole program this morning and loved it. Smiley

http://www.wpr.org/book/101219a.cfm

What if you don't believe in God, and the thought of church makes you queasy? Can you still experience the sacred? There's a growing movement of secular scientists who revel in the awe and wonder of nature. In fact, many consider this a religious experience – without God. We'll talk about the search for a science-based spirituality, and hear from a leading animist philosopher, in this hour of To the Best of Our Knowledge.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 20, 2010, 08:18:47 am »

I was able to listen to the whole program this morning and loved it. Smiley

http://www.wpr.org/book/101219a.cfm

While I don't have time to listen to the program, considering science sacred troubles me a bit as science is a process, not a result. I'm afraid if people started considering science sacred it would be the current results science has produced that most see as sacred not the process. This could be damaging to science itself as many people would not want to see the results they currently hold sacred "damaged/invalidated" by later research if that research showed the original results were not quite right. Worse, if people see science as sacred, many are likely see scientists as "near-infallible priests" and tend to believe anything a scientist says because he is a scientist.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 20, 2010, 08:40:12 am »

Worse, if people see science as sacred, many are likely see scientists as "near-infallible priests" and tend to believe anything a scientist says because he is a scientist.

I thought that was the case.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 20, 2010, 02:24:58 pm »

While I don't have time to listen to the program, considering science sacred troubles me a bit as science is a process, not a result. I'm afraid if people started considering science sacred it would be the current results science has produced that most see as sacred not the process. This could be damaging to science itself as many people would not want to see the results they currently hold sacred "damaged/invalidated" by later research if that research showed the original results were not quite right. Worse, if people see science as sacred, many are likely see scientists as "near-infallible priests" and tend to believe anything a scientist says because he is a scientist.
This, unfortunately, already happens, so I'm with you here.  My 'puter's sound issues mean I can't listen either, so it may be that all we're doing is quibbling with the title they gave the program, but I think it's necessary quibbling.

I probably feel all the more strongly about that, because I'm so on board with what I suspect they're actually referring to:  the idea that a science-based worldview can be a vehicle for perceiving sacredness.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 20, 2010, 02:28:08 pm »

the idea that a science-based worldview can be a vehicle for perceiving sacredness.

I too am completely on board with the above. It's how I came to realize I'm a pagan, and it informs the most important aspects of my spirituality.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 20, 2010, 05:14:12 pm »

I probably feel all the more strongly about that, because I'm so on board with what I suspect they're actually referring to:  the idea that a science-based worldview can be a vehicle for perceiving sacredness.

That I have no problem with. To me, it hard not to look at things like the Big Bang with a type of "sacred awe".

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: December 20, 2010, 06:38:59 pm »

I don't see science as sacred, but there are values that are expected to be an implicit part of the process (e.g. truth).

With that said, when I have data in front of me, and it's going well, I can feel very elated.  That has sometimes felt 'spiritual' to me.

(that said, it's been a while since research has gone that well for me).

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 20, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »

That I have no problem with. To me, it hard not to look at things like the Big Bang with a type of "sacred awe".

That's exactly what the program is about.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Mesquite
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2011, 12:33:24 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 27, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »

So a process or a search can't be sacred?  Only it's (temporary) results?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 28, 2011, 08:24:41 am »

So a process or a search can't be sacred?  Only it's (temporary) results?

I would say a search can be sacred, but most people I'm meant who consider science sacred are talking about treating the (current) results of that search as sacred.

Randall
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 28, 2011, 08:36:05 am »

<snippage>

Sunflower

If you've read any of HHDL's writings on the matter, like The Universe in a Single Atom, it's pretty clear that at least for Tibetan Buddhists science and sacredness are not necessarily exclusive--nor should they be. Matthieu Ricard is another example of one who thinks along those lines; he holds a doctorate in molecular biology, and left the field to take vows as a Tibetan Buddhist monk.

Just one more reason, I think, that I'm so drawn to and aligned with that particular spirituality/philosophy.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 28, 2011, 08:48:12 am »

Likewise, and i agree... Science though it's about absolutes is not absolute, it's not a result it's a process. And calling a process sacred doesn't work for me. However i may think science is important to our world "Especially medical science". I would never declare it sacred. Sacred to me are things like, being able to spend time with those i love, and love in general.

Honor and wisdom.
Legion.
Mesquite
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 28, 2011, 10:18:00 pm »

I would say a search can be sacred, but most people I'm meant who consider science sacred are talking about treating the (current) results of that search as sacred.

Then I'm mostly in agreement with you.

On the other hand, if the ancients (or you or I) could get sacred meaning from observing the first fall of snow, or the first vulnerable snowdrops of spring,  then what's to say we can't derive something holy from watching wiggling bacteria through a microscope, or (for those who actually understand those things) working through stellar physics equations?

What we DO have to be prepared for is:
If you invest (see) sacredness in any part of the world, or its observation, or its knowledge, you need to be able tho deal with change...  When the knowledge about that part of the world changes.  Ont he other hand, we've done that before.  So many people celebrate the winter solstice - and I've seen amazing things come out of it, but most people aren't doing it because if they don't the sun LITERALLY won't come back.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 01, 2011, 06:01:39 am »

I haven't answered this before because it's hard to get past the Kermit-arm-flailing.  BUT!

The PROCESS of science - the act of learning more about the universe in which we live - is inherently sacred in FlameKeeping.  We are the Universe trying to explore and understand itself - of COURSE science is the process of doing that!

The results, though?  They're facts - useful when they work, not so much when they stop working.  Newton's laws work until they hit Einsteinian relativity issues.  Neither is sacred - what matters is whether or not it WORKS.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Mesquite
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 01, 2011, 04:24:38 pm »

I haven't answered this before because it's hard to get past the Kermit-arm-flailing.  BUT!

The PROCESS of science - the act of learning more about the universe in which we live - is inherently sacred in FlameKeeping.  We are the Universe trying to explore and understand itself - of COURSE science is the process of doing that!

The results, though?  They're facts - useful when they work, not so much when they stop working.  Newton's laws work until they hit Einsteinian relativity issues.  Neither is sacred - what matters is whether or not it WORKS.

Yes,  what works comes first. 

I guess maybe I'm misunderstanding sacred.  So it depends if "sacred" can change or not, if it can't then it has no place in scientific results - but a definite place in the process.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)