The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 05, 2021, 03:38:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 05, 2021, 03:38:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas Short - 2010  (Read 2319 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 21, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »

This was originally a flash-fiction challenge to myself, a week ago today.  I completed the rough draft in one hour and twenty minutes.  It's been tweaked a little since then, but the essence is unchanged.  Enjoy. Smiley

Sitting at his customary place in the common area, Cuthbert Long bowed his head over the steak and baked potato on his tray, savoring the aromas.  He thought it would be a shame to eat it and thus be deprived the wonderful smell and the anticipation.  After another moment’s pause, he picked up the rarely-used steak knife.  This was once a living being, he thought, fed by the grass, which was fed by the sun.  How I wish I had known your name.  He was slicing into it when the hatch opened.  Billy Langtree came in, full of saunter and dash, as he usually was.

“How’s the steak?” Billy asked.

“Decidedly dead, and apparently delicious,” Cuthbert answered.  To say that he was grinning would be an understatement.

“Another twelve hours to mine,” Billy answered.  Stepping to the food server, he checked the status to make certain his breakfast was done, then opened the little door.  “Texas omelet,” he muttered.  “Now that takes me right back home.”

“I thought you were from Arkansas,” Cuthbert commented.

“Well I am, but pleasure is where you find it.  Any news?” he asked while taking the chair opposite Cuthbert.

“Not much.  Cuba has officially lost a hundred square kilometers of beach to the rising ocean, Toyota is launching a car that can go a thousand kilometers on a fill-up, and New Zealand is in the final four.”

“The World Cup?” Billy asked.  “Are they gonna do the Haka?”

“I would certainly think so.”

“Can’t wait to see that.”  Billy took a large bite from his omelet, delight evident on his face while he chewed.  “Hmm, that’s almost as good as mama’s.  In fact, given where we are and how long since it was made, it might have been better than hers.”

Cuthbert half-grinned in agreement.  “The steak is amazing.  I don’t know how my taste buds survived this long without it.”

Billy nodded, then all was quiet.  Some noise from the ventilation system was evident, but nothing else in the craft could be heard beyond the cutlery.  It was something that occasionally bothered them, but over time their minds acclimated to this strange reality.

“So,” Billy asked over a mouthful of omelet, “What’s this all mean to you?”

“You mean the holiday?”

“Yeah.  What’s it like in north England?”

Cuthbert swallowed a bite of steak.  “I suppose it means presents, a tree, and dinner, a big dinner with everyone there,” he waved his fork, looking for words, “and a couple bottles of wine.  Togetherness.  Family.  A time to be happy.”

“Yeah,” Billy answered.  “That’s my take, too.  But what about the origins?  I mean birth of Jesus, saviour hallelujah, king of kings – does that play in?”

With a mouthful of baked potato smothered in sour cream and butter, Cuthbert was not anxious to answer, though finally he did.  “It sort of does.  My grandparents still believed.  My parents never challenged them on that, the imaginary Right Hand of God, the old man with the great beard on a cloud hurling lightning bolts at random.  We just let them be, and continued the tradition.”  He furrowed his brow.  “Kind of funny, isn’t it?”

“No,” Billy replied, mixing his hash browns.  “We did exactly the same thing.  Let them keep their beliefs.  But what gets me is why do we continue it?”

“That’s simple: respect.”

Billy chewed on another bite of omelet.  “Okay, I’ll grant you that.  But I’ll wager there’s more.”

“Like what?”

“Like a genetic pre-disposition to gather at the Winter Solstice.”

Cuthbert put his steak knife down and looked intently at Billy.  “That’s, that’s interesting.”

“Think about it, Cutter.”  Billy leaned in to make his point.  “Food supplies are dwindling, the weather is getting cold.  If you’re a cro-magnon, this is a good time to gather together, share supplies, build shelters.  We don’t know much about the living conditions then.  It’s only logical that they worked as a group, especially in northern Europe, where modernity began.”

With great care, Cuthbert trimmed the last morsel of meat from the bone.  “And how does that connect with the current celebration?”

“The real celebration is about each other – about who we are, alike and not alike.  It’s the gathering.  It’s the acceptance.  It’s about being with each other and sharing food and being caring instead of hostile.”

After a moment’s thought, Cuthbert took his last bite of baked potato.  “So it isn’t about religion?”

“From my point of view, religions carried the tradition.  So it is and it ain’t.”  Billy wiped his mouth with the cloth napkin.  “All I’m saying is that going back to the original intent of the holiday is worth exploring.  We’re all cro-magnons, in a way.”

Cuthbert was about to retort, strongly, when a chime came from the communications system.  He looked at the console then looked to Billy.  “It’s from Mars.”

“Play it.”

A button was pushed and the console monitor illuminated.

“Hey guys, down here on Mars Prime it’s pretty cold,” the Martian commander said, “but I bet it’s a whole lot colder out there!”  The picture widened, encompassing a dozen people and a forlorn artificial tree bearing a single string of lights in a claustrophobic office.  “Merry Christmas from us to you, because we have half an idea how bad you two got it!”

The dozen or so people broke out into song.

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree!
Thou tree most fair and lovely!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree!

Billy turned to Cuthbert.  “A gathering.”

Cutty took in a breath, appeared to soak it through his lungs in slow motion.  “So it would seem.”

The sight of thee at Christmastide
Spreads hope and gladness far and wide
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree

The transmission ended, and Billy grinned.  “I bet they paid a steep price to get that tree all the way out there.”

Cuthbert stood and took his tray to the cleaning station.  “We’re starting our crossing of the asteroid belt tomorrow.”

“I know.”

Once his tray and utensils were loaded in the machine, Cuthbert turned to face Billy.  “I don’t know how I’ve survived this long, you know, without a ceremony.  Some ceremony.  Something from home.  Four and a half months.”

Billy took a long breath.  “We just had one.  A new ceremony in our new home, with our new family, such as it is.”  He raised his milk bottle in salute.  “Merry Christmas, Cutty.”

“Merry Christmas, Billy.  And thanks for the - feast for thought.”

Pop quiz - at what point did you realize they were on a space ship? Wink

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2021, 11:08:52 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 21, 2010, 07:57:18 pm »

When the hatch opened, in the first paragraph.  Oh, at that point it was just a guess - lots of places where hatches might be found - but it was my first guess, partly based on where a hatch you were writing about might be found, and partly because I really wanted that to be where it was.

I enjoyed the story very much indeed - just the thing for Up All Night.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 21, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »

...partly based on where a hatch you were writing about might be found, and partly because I really wanted that to be where it was.

I enjoyed the story very much indeed - just the thing for Up All Night.

Sunflower

That's almost cheating. Grin  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  The fun thing about flash fiction is you have no idea what will pop out of your head.  The cro-magnon thing had never occurred to me before.  The sub-conscious at it's best, I hope.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 21, 2010, 11:46:09 pm »

About the same time and for the same reason Sunflower stated. Smiley "Cutter" also made me immediately think Planescape... Yes, I'm a geek like that, lol.

Really enjoyed this WH, and I think you could probably put together a decent sized story around it if you wanted to expand it.

Glad Yuletide to you, and thanks for sharing. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 22, 2010, 03:47:34 am »

Guessed at the hatch, and was confirmed when Billy said he had another 12 hours before steak. Smiley

Very nicely done! I enjoyed this immensely. Thank you for sharing.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 22, 2010, 10:50:38 am »

When Billy said he had 12 hours until his steak. Smiley

Great story!

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 22, 2010, 01:40:46 pm »

About the same time and for the same reason Sunflower stated. Smiley "Cutter" also made me immediately think Planescape... Yes, I'm a geek like that, lol.

Really enjoyed this WH, and I think you could probably put together a decent sized story around it if you wanted to expand it.

Glad Yuletide to you, and thanks for sharing. Smiley

I don't know nothin' about Planescape, though I think I've read the title before.  The fiction universe is getting crowded. Wink

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Expanding probably won't happen, but incorporation might.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 22, 2010, 01:44:40 pm »

Guessed at the hatch, and was confirmed when Billy said he had another 12 hours before steak. Smiley

Very nicely done! I enjoyed this immensely. Thank you for sharing.
When Billy said he had 12 hours until his steak. Smiley

Great story!

Now I feel cheap! Cheesy  My audience is waaaaaaaaay more intelligent than I anticipated.  Must write something more complex...

PS: "Billy" is Tripp and "Cutty" is Malcolm.  I just finished watching the first season via Netflix.  Hard to get those two out of my head.

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 22, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »

I don't know nothin' about Planescape, though I think I've read the title before.  The fiction universe is getting crowded. Wink

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Expanding probably won't happen, but incorporation might.

Planescape is an AD&D setting focusing on the multiverse, plane hopping, and the city of Sigil with it's own slang. A 'cutter' is basically anyone in the planar setting, but has an overtone of being somewhat daring (a 'berk' on the other hand is a fool Smiley ). It's been too long since I played... I seem to see things I can reference as D&D in lots of things lately, lol!

Incorporation is the word I was looking for this morning.... *sigh* Brain does not like to function with very little sleep. Wink

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 22, 2010, 07:55:20 pm »

Thanks for the education. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)