The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 25, 2020, 11:52:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2020, 11:52:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Syncretized Gods and the Mental Lock Up It Causes.  (Read 9239 times)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 12, 2011, 02:33:02 pm »

... I don't know if that makes any damn sense.

Kiya, I think you're doomed to have another metaphor/phrase eternally attached to your name; along with Shopping Cart Theology, you now have Fruitcake Gods.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 12, 2011, 03:06:53 pm »

Let me see if I can come up with a useful metaphor, then. Wink
And, once again, you do...and we love you for it. Grin

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Nefersedt
Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2011, 05:23:26 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wepwawet cultist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 12, 2011, 03:17:33 pm »

Mmmm, it has gotten me a step closer at least I think. So... the fruitcake, although a manifestation of the mother, does not equate to being the mother, nor does it equate to being her voice on the phone. (Because that would just be silly if someone asks you what the fruitcake is and you say its your mother. Nor indeed does it even make any noise at all, let alone mimic the sound of her voice on the phone.) But the fruitcake does indeed directly exist because of the influence of the mother and reminds you of her. In a way its a type of 'child', just not in the usual way the word is used of course.

Or something like that anyways? Smiley

My livejournal - I write about jackal deities. A lot.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: January 12, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »

Mmmm, it has gotten me a step closer at least I think. So... the fruitcake, although a manifestation of the mother, does not equate to being the mother, nor does it equate to being her voice on the phone. (Because that would just be silly if someone asks you what the fruitcake is and you say its your mother. Nor indeed does it even make any noise at all, let alone mimic the sound of her voice on the phone.) But the fruitcake does indeed directly exist because of the influence of the mother and reminds you of her. In a way its a type of 'child', just not in the usual way the word is used of course.

Or something like that anyways? Smiley

Something like that.  And maybe you eat the fruitcake and feel all full of mama's love.  And maybe your friend eats the fruitcake and doesn't get what the big deal is because they don't know that the fruitcake is really all about that great relationship with mom.  And maybe your other friend doesn't get the connection part, but does get "Hey, that's a really great fruitcake." Wink

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 12, 2011, 05:48:47 pm »

Let me see if I can come up with a useful metaphor, then. Wink

Ah, okay, got it.

Say you call your mother on the phone.  What you get out of that is your mother's voice, most directly, and it's also placed in the context of your particular relationship with your mother and her role as mother.  There is a specific, limited-focus, targetted manifestation there: mom's voice on the phone.  That defines a set of possible interactions, a set of possible experiences, and the nature of what's going on.

Your mother can be doing all kinds of other things when talking on the phone - making dinner, working on the computer, writing a letter, what have you.  All of those other things are also independent manifestations of your mother's existence.  If your mother sends you a fruitcake, that's also a manifestation, one that you relate to in a different way than her voice on the phone.  The fruitcake is an independent entity - in this metaphor, The Fruitcake God - which is also a manifestation of Your Mother.  YOu can relate to just the fruitcake, or your mother by means of the fruitcake, or various other ways of conceiving the relationship between them, but the fruitcake is undeniably something that manifests via your mother, and is a part of her effect on the world.

In both of these cases, the manifestation is temporary- the Fruitcake God and the Telephone God go away when the cake is eaten, or the phone conversation is over.

Does that mean that all manifestations are temporary?

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 12, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »

In both of these cases, the manifestation is temporary- the Fruitcake God and the Telephone God go away when the cake is eaten, or the phone conversation is over.

-Devo

Your mother can call again, or make fruitcake again. Not 'temporary', but maybe 'specifically available'.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: January 12, 2011, 06:05:47 pm »

The idea that a god can manifest as a thing contains within it the idea that the god can be not manifesting as that thing right now.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be a "this can happen", it would be a "this is what is".

Nefersedt
Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2011, 05:23:26 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wepwawet cultist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 13, 2011, 10:23:13 am »

The idea that a god can manifest as a thing contains within it the idea that the god can be not manifesting as that thing right now.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be a "this can happen", it would be a "this is what is".

I did some more thinking about this last night. I've managed to wrap my head around the idea of these manifestations of Re almost being like aspects of him. They are these seperate little slices of him, focusing on something specific or otherwise having their own individual parameters. They can't go back to being Re because they themselves do not encompass the whole of Re and yet they did come from him. (In other words, the fruitcake can't suddenly turn into your mother.) They are not a syncretism because a deity can step out of being in a syncretic form - the manifestations are more permanently stuck in that kind of specialized and seperated form.

In a way it is kind of like when you talk about a deity having different bau, I guess? Perhaps not quite the same though, because I can think of situations where I might consider something to temporarily be a ba of a deity because it so strongly reminds me of them, yet I would not go around saying it is an aspect of that god. Like a store-bought fruitcake which tastes a lot like the one your mother makes, as opposed to a fruitcake actually made by her. I guess you could even say that store fruitcake is a ba of your mother's fruitcake because it specifically reminds you (and probably you alone) of it and of your mother, but this is all getting a bit silly and I'm not sure its helping.

And of course all of this is seperate to the meaning of manifestation as an appearance, as in like you pray to your deity and he appears to you in a particular way. That particular way is not necessarily a "manifestation" in the sense I've been using, just to clarify. Smiley

My livejournal - I write about jackal deities. A lot.
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 13, 2011, 02:55:35 pm »

I find it difficult to figure this all out and keep them straight.

How do you do it?

I made a short write up on the conception of god in AE here, if you would like another take on it.

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 13, 2011, 10:12:56 pm »

I made a short write up on the conception of god in AE here, if you would like another take on it.

Long time no see, Bastemhet.  Great article. Thanks for sharing Smiley
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 16, 2011, 11:18:51 am »

Long time no see, Bastemhet.  Great article. Thanks for sharing Smiley

Life gets distracting.  Grin  Hope to hang out here more often.  And thanks!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)