The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2020, 06:43:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2020, 06:43:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Praying  (Read 11660 times)
Smoke
Master Member
Last Login:January 28, 2011, 04:34:58 pm
United States United States

Religion: er.....can I get back to you on that?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 07, 2011, 07:48:05 pm »

...Okay, this is probably going to sound really odd and rather stupid but I need some help with it. ....I don't know how to pray. That does sound stupid doesn't it? >.<

I'm going to try to specify this...

I've never really prayed before in my life, my parents raised me Catholic(well at least they tried)and I never really agreed to it and all so...yeah.

I don't really know if there's a specific way to pray or if it's different for every person(I assume it is) or if it's a mixture of the two in some way, shape, or form.

When I do try it I don't know what to say and who to pray to and stuff like that so I usually just murmur something awkwardly and put my candle on.(it's a battery lit candle. I can't get a real one due to cats and the fact I'm 14.)

So does anyone have any advice or helpful tips or something?

Note:I probably worded this the wrong way so sorry if I did.

-Smoke

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 07, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »

...Okay, this is probably going to sound really odd and rather stupid but I need some help with it. ....I don't know how to pray. That does sound stupid doesn't it? >.<

Nope, not at all. Smiley Basically, praying is just talking to a deity. You can be formal or informal about it. It can be for a special occasion (working magic, praying for health, etc) or just to talk to the deity about your day. Praying can be one of the first ways to interact with a god or goddess and determine if you'd like to work with them. You can experiment with what feels comfortable to you. For example, if a particular goddess has caught your eye you can pray to her (out loud or in your head), "Dear goddess, I've been thinking about you. I think you're interesting for the following reasons... please bless me on my path."

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 07, 2011, 08:22:16 pm »

Nope, not at all. Smiley Basically, praying is just talking to a deity. You can be formal or informal about it. It can be for a special occasion (working magic, praying for health, etc) or just to talk to the deity about your day. Praying can be one of the first ways to interact with a god or goddess and determine if you'd like to work with them. You can experiment with what feels comfortable to you. For example, if a particular goddess has caught your eye you can pray to her (out loud or in your head), "Dear goddess, I've been thinking about you. I think you're interesting for the following reasons... please bless me on my path."

How do you know which God/Goddess to pray to?
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: January 07, 2011, 08:35:39 pm »

How do you know which people to talk to?

You look at any personal connections you have, and what deities might be concerned with whatever it is you're wanting to pray about, and whatever else seems pertinent at the time, and sometimes you have to take your best guess.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 07, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »

Well now it seems like you're talking about the epic journey that so many of us have been on, are still on, or are just getting into. That there is the $64,000 question that so many of us often never get a final answer for. This will probably take some time for you to ultimately figure out but trial and error in the beginning is always ok. To find the path, and deities (if it's even deities you want to follow, believe me, they are not for everybody) you will follow will take research, personal introspection, some long meditation is recommended, accounts from your friends here can provide excellent guidance, a bit of divination can be helpful, and countless other processes to find out how and who to follow. If you'd like some specific techniques or perhaps a personal reading feel free to PM me if you'd like. I'm sure others here can provide similar assistance as well.

Please help my babies with a click.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: January 07, 2011, 08:59:16 pm »

Well now it seems like you're talking about the epic journey that so many of us have been on, are still on, or are just getting into. That there is the $64,000 question that so many of us often never get a final answer for. This will probably take some time for you to ultimately figure out but trial and error in the beginning is always ok. To find the path, and deities (if it's even deities you want to follow, believe me, they are not for everybody) you will follow will take research, personal introspection, some long meditation is recommended, accounts from your friends here can provide excellent guidance, a bit of divination can be helpful, and countless other processes to find out how and who to follow. If you'd like some specific techniques or perhaps a personal reading feel free to PM me if you'd like. I'm sure others here can provide similar assistance as well.

I feel obligated to point out at this point that "who do I pray to" and "who do I follow" are two different questions.  It is not necessary to specifically "follow" a deity in order to pray to them.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 07, 2011, 09:01:34 pm »

Lol this sounds like me. I don't know how to pray, either. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking to pray with words? Actions? Art? It can all change. I don't handle word-prayer very well, although I find it beautiful.

Why do you want to pray? Do you feel you need to? What happens if you don't? Is there something you feel you want to pray for? Do you feel They can give it to you, or is it just a "help me out while I do this"?

I kind of follow the philosophy of praying while doing. I want my actions to be my prayers, to be the "thank you for these gifts". This can range from taking care of stray cats, to cleaning the house, to having sex with my beloved(s), to buying gifts for Them, for cleaning up the park when I go by, by recycling.. I suppose the list can go on. Perhaps this is "honouring" rather than "praying", but the line in my mind between them is very fuzzy.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 07, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »

How do you know which people to talk to?

You look at any personal connections you have, and what deities might be concerned with whatever it is you're wanting to pray about, and whatever else seems pertinent at the time, and sometimes you have to take your best guess.

Can you give me an example please? I think I understand but I just want to be sure...So if you like needed help with your family life you'd pray to a deity(s) that had something to do with that area? Do I have the right idea or is there more to it?
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 07, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »

Can you give me an example please? I think I understand but I just want to be sure...So if you like needed help with your family life you'd pray to a deity(s) that had something to do with that area? Do I have the right idea or is there more to it?

That's one approach. Also, you can look at the myths associated with various deities, and see if anything in one of the myths strikes a chord with you. F'ex, I'm not the kind of person who'd typically choose to connect with a "god of love," but I really identify with the myth in which Aengus tricked his absentee father, the Dagda, out of the home at Bru na Boyne. It's a struggle to get my own father to acknowledge me, and it was a similar story for Aengus--the Dagda made the sun stand still for nine months so that no one would even know that his married mistress was carrying his child, distributed his goods to his children without even calling Aengus there so that when Aengus got there, there was nothing left, etc.--so I really felt something in that story. Aengus isn't what I would describe as my patron or anything like that, but we get along well.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 07, 2011, 09:59:16 pm »

Anyone who catches your fancy. I would suggest thinking about the deities who interest you, even remotely, and just say a few words to them. Think about them as you read their mythology, or if you're doing anything related to them. (Doing anything in the kitchen, from washing dishes to baking bread to eating cereal, is a great time to talk to hearth and home deities like Hestia and Brighid, for example.)

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: January 08, 2011, 12:01:56 am »

You have the right idea.

A simple example is praying to the Celtic goddess Brighid for healing.  She is a healing deity, so requests for healing are appropriate for Her.  She is also a goddess of poetry and smithcraft, so prayers in those areas would also be appropriate for Her.

That assumes you have an interest in Brighid and/or Celtic spirituality.

If you are interested in a different culture, like ancient Egypt or Greece, you might be more comfortable addressing your prayers to the relevant deity in that culture's pantheon.  So, f'ex, if you're more drawn to Greek religion, you might address healing prayers to Apollo.  (If you don't know which deity in a particular pantheon is the right choice, you can always post that question.)

I agree with the other posters who have said that praying is basically just talking to a deity.  But I also think you can talk/pray to something less defined -- like "The Universe" or "The Divine" or "Lady" or "Lord" (depending on whether you feel more drawn to a female or male deity concept).  So, f'ex, you could light a candle and, while watching the flame (which can help you to tune sensory input out and help you focus on your thoughts), you could -- silently or out loud -- introduce yourself and just say hello.  Or, if you want to say something specific (like giving thanks for something or asking for help with something), you could say something like, "Lady, please keep my family safe and healthy.  Please be with those who need healing or comfort, especially my friend, Marilyn, and her family.  Please guide me as I walk my path and help me to become closer to You.  Thank you for your blessings and gifts."

That's very similar to the sort of informal prayer I say to Brighid every night at bedtime.  It's just an example.  Sometimes, I prefer simple poems.  Here's one example (to Brighid):
Light me as Your lantern.
Play me as Your harp.
Keep me in Your mantle.
Guide me to Your hearth.

The form doesn't really matter -- unless you're doing some kind of traditional prayer to a specific deity.)

Or you could use a prayer that someone else has written, and that you feel says what you want to say.  Many -- probably most -- established religions and spiritual paths that honor deities have prayers that anyone can use.  If you're interested in a particular culture (like ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, Celtic, etc.), you could check out religious organizations or websites to see if they have prayers that you like. 

You can also adapt traditional prayers to better suit you.  F'ex, I've seen the Christian Lord's Prayer re-written as a prayer to Goddess, and there are tons of examples of Celtic Recon prayers based on Celtic Christian prayers.

Here are a couple of sources:

Ceisiwr Serith is the author of a book called The Book of Pagan Prayer.  He's compiled a wide variety of traditional poems from various sources, many of which are on his website.  This one is definitely worth looking at.

Sacred Texts is a website that has mythology and religious writings from lots and lots of cultures and subcultures from around the world and throughout time.  If you are interested in a specific culture, you might find prayers from that culture on Sacred Texts.  F'ex, if you're interested in a Celtic path, you should check out the Scottish publication, Carmina Gadelica, which is a collection of traditional Scottish prayers.  They were collected in the late 1800s, I think, so most of them are Christian.  However, it's not too hard to see the more traditional, pre-Christian roots, and most of the prayers are easy to adapt for pagan use.  I'm not very familiar with other ancient cultures, so I can't steer you to prayers to Egyptian deities, f'ex, but Sacred Texts does have materials from Egypt and many other cultures.

Depending on what culture you're looking for, you might find something useful in the ritual section of the Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF) website.  ADF is a neo-druidry organization, but is not limited to Celtic culture.  The ritual section includes a wide variety of rituals, most of which have prayers in them.

I hope some of this helps!   Cheesy

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 08, 2011, 04:43:42 am »

...Okay, this is probably going to sound really odd and rather stupid but I need some help with it.

Firstly, it doesn't sound stupid at all. Smiley Sometimes I find prayer difficult, simply for the fact that if I'm tired or not quite with it I trip and stumble over my words, or accidentally yawn, or don't really *think* about what I'm saying. A nice, alternative way to pray (if you are so inclined) is to write it down. You could write it in the form of a letter, or a poem, or just even in the language you'd use if it were spoken. Writing it down gives you a chance to structure and formulate your words, preventing the panicked jumble feel that I sometimes get. I feel like when I'm praying on the spot, I should talk at normal speed. This is difficult when you're trying to think of things to say. So sometimes, I find myself starting a prayer and it taking a while for me to finish it. The effect is then sort of lost in the process. Cheesy Written down, I could always read it afterwards. It doesn't have to stay on the paper.

Also, do look at Ceisiwr Serith's website that Aster linked to. It gave me a lot of ideas and help, and there are some lovely prayers on there!

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: January 08, 2011, 07:27:24 am »

Pretty much what Aster said, here--other than for family life I'd suggest Hestia in the Greek pantheon rather than Apollo.  Which deity you choose to pray to about a specific topic may also be influenced by any personal relationships you may or may not have with them; after all, if there is more than one option for a given area of influence, and you are already acquainted with one of them, it makes sense to go with the one you know.

Um.  Example, using human interaction as a metaphor.  If I want advice on something to do with banking, I could just walk into a bank and ask to speak to someone about it, and would probably get good advice.  I'm most likely, though, to ask my mother or MIL, since both work in banks and I know that they will a) be likely to have good advice, and b) be inclined to help me and act in my best interest because of our relationship.  More specifically, if I have a loan question I'll go to my mother (VP of mortgage loans) and if I have a question about accounts I'm more likely to go to my mother in law (a teller), since those are their areas of specialty.  If I have a question about how the bank handles money, I might even go to my brother (a vault teller), though he hasn't been in banking as long so I'm less likely to turn to him for anything I don't know is specifically part of his job.

Fill in whatever your particular issue is for "banking", and gods concerned with that area for my various family members...  Same sort of principle.  (Although, as noted, if you're looking for "who do I follow", that's a whole other ball of wax.)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 08, 2011, 08:52:06 am »

You have the right idea.

A simple example is praying to the Celtic goddess Brighid for healing.  She is a healing deity, so requests for healing are appropriate for Her.  She is also a goddess of poetry and smithcraft, so prayers in those areas would also be appropriate for Her.

That assumes you have an interest in Brighid and/or Celtic spirituality.

If you are interested in a different culture, like ancient Egypt or Greece, you might be more comfortable addressing your prayers to the relevant deity in that culture's pantheon.  So, f'ex, if you're more drawn to Greek religion, you might address healing prayers to Apollo.  (If you don't know which deity in a particular pantheon is the right choice, you can always post that question.)

I agree with the other posters who have said that praying is basically just talking to a deity.  But I also think you can talk/pray to something less defined -- like "The Universe" or "The Divine" or "Lady" or "Lord" (depending on whether you feel more drawn to a female or male deity concept).  So, f'ex, you could light a candle and, while watching the flame (which can help you to tune sensory input out and help you focus on your thoughts), you could -- silently or out loud -- introduce yourself and just say hello.  Or, if you want to say something specific (like giving thanks for something or asking for help with something), you could say something like, "Lady, please keep my family safe and healthy.  Please be with those who need healing or comfort, especially my friend, Marilyn, and her family.  Please guide me as I walk my path and help me to become closer to You.  Thank you for your blessings and gifts."

That's very similar to the sort of informal prayer I say to Brighid every night at bedtime.  It's just an example.  Sometimes, I prefer simple poems.  Here's one example (to Brighid):
Light me as Your lantern.
Play me as Your harp.
Keep me in Your mantle.
Guide me to Your hearth.

The form doesn't really matter -- unless you're doing some kind of traditional prayer to a specific deity.)

Or you could use a prayer that someone else has written, and that you feel says what you want to say.  Many -- probably most -- established religions and spiritual paths that honor deities have prayers that anyone can use.  If you're interested in a particular culture (like ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, Celtic, etc.), you could check out religious organizations or websites to see if they have prayers that you like. 

You can also adapt traditional prayers to better suit you.  F'ex, I've seen the Christian Lord's Prayer re-written as a prayer to Goddess, and there are tons of examples of Celtic Recon prayers based on Celtic Christian prayers.

Here are a couple of sources:

Ceisiwr Serith is the author of a book called The Book of Pagan Prayer.  He's compiled a wide variety of traditional poems from various sources, many of which are on his website.  This one is definitely worth looking at.

Sacred Texts is a website that has mythology and religious writings from lots and lots of cultures and subcultures from around the world and throughout time.  If you are interested in a specific culture, you might find prayers from that culture on Sacred Texts.  F'ex, if you're interested in a Celtic path, you should check out the Scottish publication, Carmina Gadelica, which is a collection of traditional Scottish prayers.  They were collected in the late 1800s, I think, so most of them are Christian.  However, it's not too hard to see the more traditional, pre-Christian roots, and most of the prayers are easy to adapt for pagan use.  I'm not very familiar with other ancient cultures, so I can't steer you to prayers to Egyptian deities, f'ex, but Sacred Texts does have materials from Egypt and many other cultures.

Depending on what culture you're looking for, you might find something useful in the ritual section of the Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF) website.  ADF is a neo-druidry organization, but is not limited to Celtic culture.  The ritual section includes a wide variety of rituals, most of which have prayers in them.

I hope some of this helps!   Cheesy

~ Aster

This really does help, I'll be sure to look at the websites. Cheesy

Funny that you mention ADF because I've been looking into it a lot and it's something I really agree with.

Thank you.
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 08, 2011, 08:55:25 am »

Pretty much what Aster said, here--other than for family life I'd suggest Hestia in the Greek pantheon rather than Apollo.  Which deity you choose to pray to about a specific topic may also be influenced by any personal relationships you may or may not have with them; after all, if there is more than one option for a given area of influence, and you are already acquainted with one of them, it makes sense to go with the one you know.

Um.  Example, using human interaction as a metaphor.  If I want advice on something to do with banking, I could just walk into a bank and ask to speak to someone about it, and would probably get good advice.  I'm most likely, though, to ask my mother or MIL, since both work in banks and I know that they will a) be likely to have good advice, and b) be inclined to help me and act in my best interest because of our relationship.  More specifically, if I have a loan question I'll go to my mother (VP of mortgage loans) and if I have a question about accounts I'm more likely to go to my mother in law (a teller), since those are their areas of specialty.  If I have a question about how the bank handles money, I might even go to my brother (a vault teller), though he hasn't been in banking as long so I'm less likely to turn to him for anything I don't know is specifically part of his job.

Fill in whatever your particular issue is for "banking", and gods concerned with that area for my various family members...  Same sort of principle.  (Although, as noted, if you're looking for "who do I follow", that's a whole other ball of wax.)

Okay, I think I get it. So you pray to the gods that are concerned with the particular area you need help with?

What exactly do you mean by "Who do I follow"? I've heard that a lot but don't really understand.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)