The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2020, 02:25:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 02:25:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: offerings for your deities  (Read 5689 times)
Anye
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 31, 2011, 01:11:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: unlabeled pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 10, 2011, 03:10:06 pm »

Do any of you, as part of your personal practice, leave offerings for your patron deities, or the deities you work with?

What do you offer (for whom)?
How did you determine what to offer them?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aglet
Apprentice
Last Login:January 19, 2011, 08:59:56 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 10, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »

Do any of you, as part of your personal practice, leave offerings for your patron deities, or the deities you work with?

I usually leave small tea cake cookies I make. I eat one after a meditation to ground myself and then I go and bury the rest under a tree.
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 10, 2011, 11:19:22 pm »

I give offerings every morning upon rising. At that time, I do a small ritual to "wake up" the gods that oversee myself and my spiritual growth.

I give Sekhmet bread and water on a daily basis as she prefers this. One would assume she would grow tired of the bread and water, but nope. She's all about the basics, I guess? On major holidays or pre-planned rituals, I will give her something a little out of the ordinary: I make a kick ass naan bread recipe that she loved. I also give her wine or alcoholic beverages, but this is only on SUPERSPECIAL occasions, such as a feast day of hers or if I really need her attention. I also have various stones that I have offered to her throughout the years: A carnelian ring sits beside her statue, a white rock I found on the road side that seemed significant at the time, and a bloodstone ball that my sister bought for me. I also have a bloodstone pyramid coming to her as a belated Christmas gift.

I give Hwt-Hrw various things at her daily ritual. She likes sweeter things, so I try to give her things that have a sweeter taste. She recently confided a strong like of the Special K bars that I buy for myself, so I've started giving her at least one of those in the morning. She gets water or milk in the AM, depending on my mood. On major holidays or pre-planned rituals, I give her chocolate and cake and and and. She gets girly comfort foods mostly since she has never remotely mentioned a want/desire for things like spaghetti or regular meals. She also enjoys vodka, but that is for special occasions. I also have an agate pyramid, an agate bowl, and a random pink rock that I found for her that are eternally at her feet. She also has a pink quartz and an amethyst. She is also the eternal holder of my Tarot deck and accompanying accoutrement.

When it came to figuring out what they wanted, I pretty much flew by the seat of my pants in regards to most of their offerings. I looked at the item I had found or picked up and thought, "This reminds me of -insert deity here-" which is how each of my patrons has gotten various stones over time. When it came to the daily thing, I had book that recommended water and bread for Egyptian deities, mostly because that was what they were given way back when. They have had no problem in telling me to stop with a certain offering for whatever reason.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 10, 2011, 11:27:25 pm »

Absolutely.  The offerings vary depending on the occasion and who I'm presenting them to.  For example, offerings meant for the entire pantheon tend to be on the more traditional end- olive oil, wine, incense.  Offerings for my ancestors are often items that my family would recognize and appreciate- candles and certain foods that they liked.  Certain holidays also dictate certain offerings- such as wine and grapes during the festival of new wine. 

Offerings to specific gods tend to get more inspired based on their associations.  Flowers are not a traditional offering to Nikkal, but as a goddess of fertile orchards and vineyards, they make sense.  Corn is not a traditional offering to Ba'al, but at the end of a wet summer I have the rain to thank for a good yield in my garden. 

How about yourself?

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 10, 2011, 11:48:47 pm »

I offer Aset milk or chocolate milk on a regular basis. I've also offered her chocolate, pastries of various kinds, muffins and fruit. I bake a cake for her on special occasions.  Milk was offered to the Kemetic gods in ancient times and being white could represent an offering of purification.  I offer Nebet Het beer, wine or water.  I offer Wepwawet cheese, meat, beer or wine.  

I offer to eggplant or red wine to Oya.  

I have offered milk or an alcoholic beverage to Frigga, beer to Skadhi and milk to Njordh.  

I also light candles for all of them.  I tend to give offerings to the Kemetic gods daily and the Orisa and Heathen gods weekly. 

How I came to these offerings is by reading books and websites about these deities, asking devotees of these deities what they like and also following my intuition.  I also ask the deities what they want as an offering as well.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:52:25 pm by SatAset » Logged

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 11, 2011, 02:49:21 am »

I'm actually working with deities for the first time since I left Christianity. It is an interesting experience, lol.

One of them is Epona, who has been working with me for the past several months. I'm commissioning a painting of her (from Nibblekat, you should check out her work Wink ). After I get it I'll place it on my altar and put a rose under it for her. Her ancient worshipers use to leave roses on her altars, and I've gotten the impression that she likes them. I've also started dedicating my time with my horse, the time that I spend working in the pasture, and the letters and comments that I write to politicians about the wild horses to her. (I got that idea from someone on here Grin ).

The other is a goddess that has been trying to get my attention for a long time, that I'm finally starting to contact. I don't know much about her yet except that she is a mainly water goddess, and also a goddess of night, magic, dreams, and stars. I'm leaving a small silver cup of water out with a piece of amethyst for her. I chose the silver cup b/c I only use it for rituals, and the colors that I associate her with are silver, dark blue, and black. Amethyst was kind of an impulse that I threw in because I got a feeling that she would like it, and I use amethyst to help keep nightmares away (so it has something to do with dreaming. That is also significant b/c she told me to do this for a week and she would come to me in a dream.)
Fauna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 21, 2011, 09:07:42 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan with a sprinkle of cocoa

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 11, 2011, 05:13:30 am »

I offer fresh water which is my mainstay offering. Dried rose petals go to Aphrodite. I've offered sunflower seeds and pastries before. There's tobacco to go to Papa Legba. I have burnt ancestor money to go to the obvious. Incense is another offering I use. I've burnt sage as an offering too, usually to Hecate. Sometimes it's an offering of just doing something, like baking bread for Demeter and lighting a candle to Hestia.

I just go by what feels right really. I know what not to offer, like offering mint to Persephone would be a faux pas.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 11, 2011, 09:43:36 am »

I just go by what feels right really. I know what not to offer, like offering mint to Persephone would be a faux pas.

That's interesting - why is mint a faux pas?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 11, 2011, 10:11:10 am »

I used to leave daily offerings of bread and water to Anpu, but since I'm reevaluating my practice right now, I haven't actually decided what to offer and how often I'll do it. I have a Christian roommate, so I doubt I'll be doing anything elaborate in her presence. However, I have set up a jar of fake flowers on Anpu's shrine, which He seems to like. I also offer Him black tourmaline, which He demanded of me when I found a shop selling small stones in Japan, so I bought one and keep it in front of His statue where He likes it.

Bread and water are pretty much staples when it comes to offerings, and Anpu likes it if I keep things simple. He generally accepts what offerings I put on His shrine, but He lets me know if He doesn't like something (usually it breaks or I lose it soon after buying it), and He definitely lets me know when He wants something in particular.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 11, 2011, 12:07:57 pm »

That's interesting - why is mint a faux pas?

Hades seduced a naiad named Minthe, and Persephone turned her into the mint plant. Although according to the Wiki article on Minthe, mint was used in Greek funerary rites and was fermented as an entheogen for the Eleusian Mysteries, which is interesting if accurate. (I haven't checked the source so I can't say.)

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Anye
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 31, 2011, 01:11:16 pm

Religion: unlabeled pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 11, 2011, 08:26:04 pm »

Absolutely.  The offerings vary depending on the occasion and who I'm presenting them to...

How about yourself?

First of all, thank you to all who replied to my very first post on this board! 

I have been on this path for a little over 5 years... but a year and a half ago, my family, as so many others, was affected by a lay off (husband).  I ended up taking on a second job for almost 8 months. It was the right thing to do; the only thing was, it left little time for reading, learning, reflection. 

Things have fortunately turned around for us, I am only working one job, and so in some ways, am starting over.  I had developed connections with Danu, Cernunnos, and Epona came to me in a dream.  Recently I am drawn to Gaia.  Not sure why, just am.

Leaving offerings for my deities was not something I had done before.  I often lit a candle before a picture or small statue, when asking for their blessing or guidance.  I don't know why I didn't leave offerings before, just recently its something I felt compelled to do.

So I am re-reading and researching new materials, trying to come up offerings that feel right.  So far - for Epona- dried rose buds; for Danu - blue stones, pieces of silver; for Cernunnos - acorns; for Gaia - rice....

still learning, appreciate all your thoughts.
Akroatis
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 01, 2011, 04:59:32 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Minoan Brotherhood Initiate / Eclectic Neo-pagan witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 22, 2011, 06:07:17 am »

When I first started making offerings to Apollo, I started with whatever I could. I live in a dorm, and I didn't know where to get specialty supplies. I would offer whatever I could find that I thought would appease him. Milk, honey, etc. One time I treated him to some paprika and spices that I borrowed from one of my neighbours when she was cooking a traditional dish of her ethnicity. Now that I'm more resourceful, I light incense, offer him bay laurel (sometimes generic bay leaves if I can't get a hold of any), mini cakes, olive oil, and wine. The more 'luxurious' such as wine I typically save for Apollo's special festival days.

Blessed be,
ακροατής
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: January 23, 2011, 05:01:51 am »

Hi, Akroatis,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Meg O'Druadh
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 26, 2011, 06:51:30 pm

Religion: Pagan
TCN ID: mego

In Her Service

Blog entries (0)

megodruadh megodruadh

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 24, 2011, 03:40:06 pm »

As a true beginner on the pagan path, I have trouble understanding *how* to offer up something like bread, or honey, or oil, etc. Do you light it on fire? If it's a food offering, do you eat it?Do you bury it? Do you just let it kind of... Sit on the altar?

Personally, I like to offer incense... Different types of incense for different intentions. E.g. lapis incense to accompany prayers seeking wisdom, amber resin for devotion, etc. The smoke symbolically and physically carries my prayers up to the gods. I suppose I bring this ritual over from my Catholic days. Personally speaking, I feel incense is the most beautiful sign of worship.

"The world belongs to the silent ones."
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: January 24, 2011, 04:17:56 pm »

As a true beginner on the pagan path, I have trouble understanding *how* to offer up something like bread, or honey, or oil, etc. Do you light it on fire? If it's a food offering, do you eat it?Do you bury it? Do you just let it kind of... Sit on the altar?

That depends on a lot of things.  For one thing, there's no "THE" pagan path.  Paganism is an umbrella term that covers a lot of different religions, and each one will have its own take on the question of how to deal with food or drink offerings.  For another, personally I think you've got to make concessions sometimes for what you're able to do.  If you don't have the facilities to burn offerings, then obviously that's not a very viable option for you; if you have small children or pets or even a pest problem, leaving food sitting out is probably not going to be advisable; etc., etc.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)