The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 03:25:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 03:25:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: How Long did you Study Pagan Religions before you declared yourself Pagan?
I didn't read/study, I knew I was Pagan as soon as I heard of "Paganism" - 4 (6.1%)
One Day - 1 (1.5%)
One Week - 1 (1.5%)
Two Weeks - 1 (1.5%)
One Month - 0 (0%)
Two-Three Months - 6 (9.1%)
Four to Six Months - 5 (7.6%)
Seven to Twelve Months - 1 (1.5%)
Longer than Twelve Months - 27 (40.9%)
Other - 19 (28.8%)
Never considered myself Pagan - 1 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How Long did you Study Pagan Religions before you declared yourself Pagan?  (Read 9775 times)
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 12, 2011, 05:39:31 pm »

How long did you study Pagan religions, read about Pagan religions, talk/think about Pagan religions before you decided that you were Pagan? Do you think you moved too quickly or too slow? Why or why not?
I decided I was Wiccan as soon as I finished my first book on Wicca. It was way too fast because I had no idea what I was doing, did minimal research with very limited resources. It's only been the last couple of years that Ihave been researching properly and that is mostly because I have no idea what I actually am.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 12, 2011, 07:49:47 pm »

How long did you study Pagan religions, read about Pagan religions, talk/think about Pagan religions before you decided that you were Pagan? Do you think you moved too quickly or too slow? Why or why not?
I'm the lone "Never considered myself Pagan" vote up there. I've never connected with any deity other than what y'all call the JCI God.

However, I also knew that there had to be a different path to Him than the one preached by my very conservative church because that always seemed as if He had no use for me since I was just a girl. The only things for me to do in the church were either serve food or look after babies (I like food and I like babies, but there can be too much of a good thing) and I knew He wouldn't have given me my specific gifts if that was all He ever meant for me to do.

(And when I say "He," it's only because I haven't found the right pronoun for the Triune God. "Them" doesn't seem quite right. Anyway...)

I studied what I call "alternate Christianity" for about a year on and off before I started exploring magic and witchcraft. I studied there for about 6-9 months, again, on and off, before I finally made a declaration that this was the path I was supposed to be on.

I'm always afraid I move too quickly, but I was determined to take this slowly. So far, so good.

sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 12, 2011, 08:22:00 pm »

As soon as I discovered that there was a whole community of people who believed some of the same things that I did I thought of myself as "pagan-y", but I studied for a year and a day before dedicating myself to witchcraft and thinking of myself as an "official pagan". Cheesy
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: January 12, 2011, 08:31:45 pm »

I was always interested in other cultures - so I read all the 'myths' I could get my hands on starting by the time I was 10 or 11.  I knew by 14 that xtianity was not right for me, but that was in the early 1970's so there wasn't any internet and not a lot of info at the library.  By 20 I would have definitely used the term pagan to refer to myself, but I don't remember when the actual moment was.  It wasn't something that was as common as it is today to hear about.  I had no clue!
<nod> I could have picked "I knew I was Pagan as soon as I heard of it," but that's because I hadn't heard all that much, and didn't altogether connect the bits and snippets I did hear to what I was doing, until later.  So I picked "other".

I've found Weird Stuff fascinating for as long as I can remember; when I was about 12, it occurred to me that I didn't have to wait for it to come along by chance - I could seek it out.  So I began devouring everything I could get my paws on - indiscriminately, but at that point I was reading more for the "fun to think about" factor.  It didn't take long, though, for me to start sorting it into "entertaining bullshit" and "there's some wheat in that chaff".

There pretty much had to have been some stuff directly related to the neoPagan movement in amongst all that, because I have too clear and concrete of a sense of how it felt to be on the fringes of the movement in the '70s.  But I wasn't consciously registering it as such at the time, nor was the word "Pagan" really on my personal radar ("witch" was; I'd been self-IDing as such, privately since I was still learning how, from about 15, but I didn't think of it as having a context in what others might be doing); it wasn't until I was around 20 (and by that time it was the '80s) that the penny dropped and the correlation between my internal doings and all these external developments was clear, and I could say, "this is what I am."

So both "I knew as soon as I heard of it" and "studied for longer than 12 months" are true (but not any of the choices in between) - which is exactly what "Other" is for.

As for the question about "too quickly or too slowly"... I'm not sure if it's meaningful for my progression.  But if I take it as being about whether I studied enough before I leaped, without reference to explicit Pagan identification, I'd say, some of each and it balanced out overall.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 12, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »

More than a year. As soon as I'd started to learn about paganism (through Wicca), I recognized what I was but hadn't had a name for up until then. But I was very resistant to adopting the label for a long time after that.

I don't think I moved either too quickly or slowly. I tend to think you do these things when you're ready.

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 12, 2011, 10:53:17 pm »

I started with Valerie Worth's The Crone's Book of Words, but I didn't really start thinking about Pagan religions (specifically Neo-Wicca) until I read Teen Witch by $RW. And then it didn't take long for me to "be a Wiccan". But I usually told people I was a witch, for the initial shock value. Now I tell people I'm a witch only if they press, and only because it's the most accurate term for me.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 13, 2011, 01:43:24 am »

<nod> I could have picked "I knew I was Pagan as soon as I heard of it," but that's because I hadn't heard all that much, and didn't altogether connect the bits and snippets I did hear to what I was doing, until later.  So I picked "other".

("witch" was; I'd been self-IDing as such, privately since I was still learning how, from about 15, but I didn't think of it as having a context in what others might be doing);

Sunflower

Yes - witch from early on.  But I didn't think of it as a religion.  I remember being aware of pagans (circle network news) by the time I was 22 or 23.  I got a hold of Starhawk's Spiral Dance about the same time.  That would have been about 1980.

AntlerandHerb.com
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 13, 2011, 07:48:11 am »

Looking back now I think I always had a pagan-y heart and mind, I just didn't know it.  I was raised 'fundy' and was never really exposed to Paganism until last year. I began reading Paganism type books out of simple curiosity and found myself in them.  It was a shock because it was unexpected.  I spent about six months reading and wondering and thinking really hard before deciding to pursue the path with determination.  Now here I am ... still putting one foot in front of the other and the more I learn about Paganism the more I find myself in it. 

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: January 13, 2011, 08:03:25 am »

How long did you study Pagan religions, read about Pagan religions, talk/think about Pagan religions before you decided that you were Pagan?

Several years. I started reading about the occult, magic, and Paganism (not that there was much on the latter) several years before I really thought of myself a Pagan. Even then it was more a "magician" than "religious".

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sammi (Dreamsinger)
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 29, 2011, 03:13:29 pm

Religion: Uh...? I have no clue what to call it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 13, 2011, 02:14:00 pm »

I was raised a fundamentalist baptist, but it never clicked with me. When I was little, I thought pagans were the people back in Bible times that didn't believe in God and practiced magic. Granted, that was only the information that was fed to me by people who didn't really know what they were talking about, but that's beside the point.

I spent from Kindergarten to eighth grade being taught religiously in school something that I didn't believe. Then, I went to a public high school and everything went crazy. At first, I clung to my "beliefs" like a safety net. Then, as the year progressed, I opened myself up more and started being more receptive to the voice whispering, "The truth is out there... Look for it." So, I did. I found a group of kids who were also looking for the truth.

We began practicing biblical "white" magick. At first, I soaked in the knowledge of the fact that what I was taught wasn't exactly true. About a year went by and I went from labeling myself as a Christian, to a "Christo-pagan", to a polytheist, to a pagan. It's been about a year since I've been really taking things seriously, a little less maybe.

I don't think I jumped into it too soon, or relabeled myself too rapidly or without knowing enough. From what I knew I believed, I labeled myself accordingly. I'm quite proud of myself for figuring this out and finding out concretely what I believe in by the age of 16. Smiley Of course, I'm still open to suggestion and haven't closed my mind off from other ideas, but I finally found a path that resonates with me and that I can put my heart and soul into. Smiley

Music is what emotions sound like.

<3Piano<3Bassoon<3Flute<3Alto, Tenor Saxophone<3Singing<3Guitar<3

Without love, the whole world lacks it's luster.
Revalc
Last Login:February 26, 2011, 10:19:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Spiritual but not religious

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 16, 2011, 08:48:07 am »

Well i was baptized as Christian but i grew up in a non-religious family, so i was pretty much left to find my own way. Although i now know that i am Pagan, before the amount of actual study before hand i never thought of myself as that. I used to think that pagans was a religion that worshiped mother earth (which is true in some(?) cases) as a general summary. Wasn't till within the past year with alot of study that i understood ''pagan'' as a more broad term which also encompassed myself. I still can't say that i am this or that, but I'm getting closer to the answer of that.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 16, 2011, 09:21:39 am »

I used to think that pagans was a religion that worshiped mother earth (which is true in some(?) cases)

Some Pagans do honor Mother Earth or work closely with earth goddesses (Gaia, Demeter, Danu), or consider ecology an important part of their spirituality. So in some cases, yes, it is true.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 16, 2011, 10:48:52 am »

I have to go with "other". I knew I was pagan as soon as I heard of it. It just gave me a label for much of what I already believed. Having said that it then took around 13/14 years of on and off study and research to find out exactly where I fit in under that umbrella. Even then, I'm a solitary so there are things that I'm making up as I go along.

I don't think I went too fast or too slow. I think I moved at the right pace for me. And I'm not finished learning yet Cheesy
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 16, 2011, 11:56:30 am »

After spending a lot of time researching Taoism, Buddhism and than coming across 'shamanic' stuff, I did feel pretty quickly that the Pagan direction was what I needed to look instead of Asian stuff when I had some spiritual talk with a pagan in a (not inherently pagan) internet forum.

But I didn't declare myself pagan until I started to practice consciously instead of just researching paganism so I voted 'more than 12 months'.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 18, 2011, 02:46:34 am »

It's kind of hard for me to say. I sort of knew I wasn't a Christian by the time I was about 15-16. So I began reading about all kinds of religions and felt particularly drawn to paganism. And with Wicca being one of the more common forms to learn about, I read up on that a lot. But I never went so far to declare myself one. After a few years of bouncing between general Occultism, agnosticism and some random stuff, I've came to call myself Pagan. But that's just the general filing of my beliefs.

I think I moved at the right pace. I think that if I lived in a more supportive environment (very Christian family who'd probably want me to have an exorcism if they found out I worshiped gods besides Jesus  Shocked) that I might've moved on quite a bit faster; although I don't really have regrets about it, due to the fact that it's given me a lot of time to float between things and find out what I really do believe - regardless of what I choose to identify and call myself.

EDIT: I am nearly 21 now, so it's taken a good 4-5 years to where I've felt sufficiently certain of my beliefs to know what I can myself.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:49:22 am by Mata » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)