The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 01:46:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 01:46:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: How Long did you Study Pagan Religions before you declared yourself Pagan?
I didn't read/study, I knew I was Pagan as soon as I heard of "Paganism" - 4 (6.1%)
One Day - 1 (1.5%)
One Week - 1 (1.5%)
Two Weeks - 1 (1.5%)
One Month - 0 (0%)
Two-Three Months - 6 (9.1%)
Four to Six Months - 5 (7.6%)
Seven to Twelve Months - 1 (1.5%)
Longer than Twelve Months - 27 (40.9%)
Other - 19 (28.8%)
Never considered myself Pagan - 1 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How Long did you Study Pagan Religions before you declared yourself Pagan?  (Read 9774 times)
Meg O'Druadh
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 26, 2011, 06:51:30 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan
TCN ID: mego

In Her Service

Blog entries (0)

megodruadh megodruadh

Ignore
« Reply #30: January 24, 2011, 03:44:35 pm »

How long did you study Pagan religions, read about Pagan religions, talk/think about Pagan religions before you decided that you were Pagan?

As soon as I started reading about paganism, things clicked for me. I wish I would have read up on paganism earlier. It's just that paganism is defined erroneously in our popular culture, and you grow up thinking it's something COMPLETELY different than it actually is. Boy am I glad I gave paganism a chance and picked up a book about it that day at the bookstore...

I was pleasantly surprised by how much paganism turned out to be in tune with my belief system, which I thought to be closest aligned with folk Catholicism. I just decided to do a little bit of reading before officially telling anybody I was choosing this path.

"The world belongs to the silent ones."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Shadoworker
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 12:53:48 am

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: January 30, 2011, 10:33:07 am »

How long did you study Pagan religions, read about Pagan religions, talk/think about Pagan religions before you decided that you were Pagan? Do you think you moved too quickly or too slow? Why or why not?
I new I wasn't totally atheists, but I knew I wasn't christian either. I pretty much new all my life.
brooks22
Last Login:February 04, 2011, 01:05:13 am

Religion: Pagan

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: January 30, 2011, 02:04:48 pm »

How long did you study Pagan religions, read about Pagan religions, talk/think about Pagan religions before you decided that you were Pagan? Do you think you moved too quickly or too slow? Why or why not?

I voted other. The main thing for me hasn't been study, although that's admittedly a huge part of it. I'm a Pagan because of certain beliefs I've had affirmed and certain signs and signals I've been given that this is the right path for me. I've gone through one wheel of seasons, viewed and experienced with this renewed outlook, and that has given me the courage and the ability to talk to some members of my family about what I've been learning and explain why it makes sense to me. The resonance I've felt on this path led to my appropriating the term Pagan, but I want to study and learn a lot more about the different paths before I call myself anything else under that umbrella.

"I know what you are learning to endure. There is nothing to be done. Make sure nothing is wasted. Take notes. Remember it all, every insult, every tear. Tattoo it on the inside of your mind. In life, knowledge of poisons is essential. I've told you, nobody becomes an artist unless they have to." -Janet Fitch
LadyVagabond
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 08:53:06 am

Religion: Hm. Still working on that one.

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: February 04, 2011, 01:48:27 am »

My first exposure to paganism was when I was about fourteen, when I read Mists of Avalon. I'm generally leery of basing religious beliefs on a work of fiction, but something about that book really stuck with me. That was four years ago; I did my first ritual today (a day late for Imbolc, but close enough. Smiley) I think that I moved at the right speed for me--any faster and I would have been really uncomfortable with invoking Brighid (or anyone else for that matter) and there was really no question of me moving slower. The timing was right, so I did it.
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 04, 2011, 11:20:04 am »

For me, about six months-ish. For me, that was enough time to gather information and decide this was a path I wanted to step out on.

About half a year for me after i had heard Odins call. I was in doubt and in strugle with myself for quite some time after, as well i had prayed and honored the hebrew god since i could speak. But i never got an answer back. And all of a sudden this being i couldn't see, but i could sense and hear spoke to me... while i was awake. At first it scared me, thought i was going scitzophrenic even. But i was in therapy at the time and there were no symptoms also no voices telling me to do things. Just that one voice speaking to me. So after months of doubt i ordered several books about norse paganism / asatru "Many of which are in the booklist on the mainpage i noticed" And after reading through the first, i faced the sky with both my fists above me and tied my fate to that of the gods. I spoke an oath, and i've actually being doing better and better ever since.

This is now several years back. And i'm still going strong  Grin

Honor and wisdom.
Legion.
LunaPark
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 03:14:02 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: February 05, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »

I had a sort of troubled childhood so I spent a lot of time outside.  I remember one day thinking to myself while walking down our driveway looking into the trees "Who is mother nature, why doesn't anyone talk about her?"  And while looking out into the untamed part of my parent's yard I knew.  No words, just knowing.   So I went on with my life almost completely forgetting about the experience.  When I was in fifth grade I had to right my first research paper ever.  Instead of choosing a cute and cuddly animal like the majority of the girls in my class, I chose to do one on ants.  The complexity of ant "society" fascinated me, how essentially they all worked as one.  To make a very long story short, my next choice of research topic was lions, I've always had a draw to lions for a number if reasons, and my final research paper I chose Greek myths.  Aphrodite drew me in, when we talked about Ancient Rome in middle school I was fascinated about how much of the Roman gods and goddesses were adopted and renamed from the Greek, so Aphrodite and Venus became my main goddesses.  Though I still didn't think of myself as a pagan I was already having pagan tendencies.   Wink When I was in high school my mother bought my an horoscope book for teenage girls.  It had some information about my sign (Taurus) and again there is Venus, my ruling planet.  My sophomore year the movie 'The Craft" became popular and that was when I was introduced to the idea of ritual magic and neopaganism.  Granted "The Craft" isn't exactly accurate or anything it opened my eyes an I started to do a bit of research on my own.  That same year my personal choice research paper I chose Wicca, and using it as an excuse to have my Catholic mother go out and buy my a few books on the subject since the library only had books on the Salem witch trials and nothing on Wicca in particular.  But still didn't I didn't think of myself as pagan.  I went to art school where I was required to take art history, and thats when I was introduced to a little lady by the name of Venus of Willendorf and I fell in love with her big floppy boobies and big round belly, and her "sacred triangle" as my art history professor would put it.  Junior year of college I went to Italy for a studies abroad program and I actually got to see all these wonderful paintings with my own eyes in person.  There she was again, Venus, in oil paint, painted by the master Botticelli.  Actually seeing the Birth of Venus in person is one of the highlights of my life thus far, but I still didn't think of myself as a pagan. 

After I left school, The Da Vinci code was popular, I read it and once I did something just clicked.  The sacred feminine, had been there all my life and fairly soon after that I started to research Wicca, witchcraft, neopaganism more formally.  So to make a very very long story short I've always been a pagan it just took me a while to get the hint.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: February 06, 2011, 08:23:38 am »

Welcome to TC!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 07, 2011, 07:06:38 am »

A couple of years. I observed my stepmum before even talking with her. She didn't let me see her books, but pointed me to online resources. The light and happy stuff didn't appeal, but I was drawn more and more towards myths of the underworld. I realised I'd better call myself the name as well when I found myself hanging out at the local magic shop and deciding to set up an altar. Perhaps I was too chicken to declare myself, gothiness can make people believe you're posing. Only a few people know what my path really is, the rest can take me for another surly teen.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: February 07, 2011, 08:16:04 am »

I guess a lot of people stumble into Paganism when they're in their teens. I stumbled into the cesspit that is SRW's Teen Witch and David Conway's Magic: An Occult Primer. Likely because of the influence of a good Conway, I felt nothing for Teen Witch and dropped the subject while keeping the books.

When I got back into magic, I started practising under a vaguely Christian/non-religious format, while digesting the accompanying information on paganism. After a couple of months I realised that the 'pagan stuff made more sense to me' and started identifying as a Pagan. The weather was quite good at the time so the debut coincided with the introduction of a few great hippy summer dresses. Must have seemed like a hilarious conversion to 'naked-moon-dancing-hippy-clothes-herbal-shampoo-person'.

Two years later, I've worked out what kind of pagan I am, and the gods I follow. So, take your pick from two months or two years.  Cheesy

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)