The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2020, 06:41:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2020, 06:41:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gender of your deity  (Read 8831 times)
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 17, 2011, 08:54:07 am »

Has the gender of your deity ever been relevant to your path? Made things easier, harder, 'other' for you?

Or has it just never, ahem, come up?

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Utusitusi
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 04, 2011, 03:46:02 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu

Blog entries (0)

Utusitusi

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 17, 2011, 10:19:15 am »

Has the gender of your deity ever been relevant to your path? Made things easier, harder, 'other' for you?

Defenitely easier. I have a lot of issues with men/male energy, so I've nearly exclusively focused on worship of female Deities since I started on the pagan path. It's only recently that I've started to include a few Gods in my worship as I was divined (Kemetic Orthodox) as a Beloved of Bes.
It's taken me many years to get to the stage of being comfortable with some male Deities, one of the reasons traditional Wicca didn't work for me was the heavy focus on male/female duality. Even when I roamed through eclecticism, Hellenismos and Neos Alexandria I hardly gave more than a token nod to the Gods, I was 99% focused on the Goddesses.

I still feel most at ease with my beloved Goddesses but I now also worship Bes, Nefertum and Amun.  Grin

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 17, 2011, 10:31:01 am »

Well, it's easier in the sense that my two female deities both understand the exact reason why I am more acerbic about once a month, if you catch my meaning. Aside from that, it's never really come up.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 17, 2011, 10:48:57 am »

I'm just starting to explore gender roles/concepts with one of my deities...but prior to His intervention in my life, gender didn't really affect my path.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 17, 2011, 10:50:57 am »

I actually started on this path because I was in search of the Divine Feminine that wasn't simply a version of Mary. The Godhead in most traditions of Christianity is exclusively male, although some may occasionally make a token nod to the genderlessness of God. That struck me as inherently unbalanced, so I began looking for the feminine face of God.

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 17, 2011, 11:10:58 am »

I've always felt more drawn toward the goddesses.  I was raised Christian and one of the reasons I'm not is because I was looking for a Feminine face of the Divine.  Ra helped me deal with some issues so I could honor male gods. 

I honor more female deities/spirits: Aset, Nebet Het, Oya, Frigga and Skadhi than male deities: Wepwawet, Elegba and Njordh. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 17, 2011, 12:51:03 pm »

I'm just starting to explore gender roles/concepts with one of my deities...but prior to His intervention in my life, gender didn't really affect my path.

Whose the new guy?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 17, 2011, 01:02:52 pm »

Always been a non-issue for me - yes, Apollo is male, but it's not a big deal.  It just is.  *shrug*

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 17, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

Always been a non-issue for me - yes, Apollo is male, but it's not a big deal.  It just is.  *shrug*

Same with Loki.  Even beside the fact he has changed into a female form a couple of times, it really has never been an issue.
Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 17, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »

When I was exclusively a Christian I had a tough time with the girl hate rhetoric that is in the church. It really bothered me that women were considered second class citizens in God's eyes. Deep in my heart I just didn't buy it.

Now I recognize the Divine Feminine, the Divine Masculine and Source. I also have a transgendered or Male/ female representation on my shrine. A nod to the divine in every hermaphrodite.

I don't want any aspect of divinity or gender to be excluded.

By opening up my heart to equal and every expression of gender I think that it has made me more loving, accepting and easier to access my strengths.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: January 17, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »

The idea of a feminine Divine (not exclusively so, but a Divine that included the feminine more explicitly than my Christian upbringing had) made it a bit easier for me to move away from Christianity and into paganism.  I wouldn't say it was a major factor, but it wasn't unimportant either.

A few years later I got hit over the head by Apollo.  Gender is irrelevant there.  I'm called by the deity, not the gender.  ::shrug:: 

As for the rest of the pantheon...  It gets more complicated there, I think.  I wanted to say that I have not felt more or less connected to a deity because of gender.  As I thought through the list, though, I realized that I tended to have more of an affinity for the males than for the females.  Which frankly surprised me, but there it is.  Is that due to gender?  Is it coincidence?  Is there something about my perception of male deities, or the way they've been represented in the material I've read about them, that makes them more relatable to me because they're male?  I don't know.

What I do know, though, is that gender is not a deciding factor in my actual practice.  I try to give honor and worship to all the gods.  There isn't the personal emotional connection there that there with the females that is there for the males, but that doesn't mean I should ignore the females.  So maybe we're back to "no, it doesn't make a difference" again...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: January 17, 2011, 05:13:03 pm »

As I follow a pantheon of gods and goddesses it has never really been that much of a concern to me.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sammi (Dreamsinger)
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 29, 2011, 03:13:29 pm

Religion: Uh...? I have no clue what to call it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 17, 2011, 10:45:41 pm »

I have a strange combination of both genders. The spirits I talk to are more often male, but the deities I worship are predominately female, although I'm sure that will change before too long. I think I'm scared of male authority figures, so I tend to shy away from male gods, but as my comfort level with male authority figures, so will my ratio of male to female deities. (: Other than my personal issues, no, gender really doesn't have any relevance to my spiritual work. (:

Music is what emotions sound like.

<3Piano<3Bassoon<3Flute<3Alto, Tenor Saxophone<3Singing<3Guitar<3

Without love, the whole world lacks it's luster.
Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 18, 2011, 02:31:34 am »

It's been pretty much irrelevant for me. I worship lots of female and male gods, and don't really bother about which gender they are. The only time it really comes up is with worshiping a goddess who's not particularly fond of men. It does make me a little uncomfortable to be honest.

I remember taking a walk not too long ago, and I saw the moon, and stopped to look at it for a bit. And in my head I just thought of Artemis, and said a line or two in my head about her (I don't recall what I exactly said). And after I took a good 8 or so steps I got hit by a tree twig just above my eyes. And I distinctly remember getting a feeling of her looking at me like I was a space alien.  Grin
acidrica
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:40:58 am

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 18, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »

Despite being female, I tend to feel more comfortable with male deities. That might be because I tend to more honor the masculine parts of myself, or it might just be because the specific goddesses in my pantheon have a tendency to scare me. I wasn't raised with the male-centric views of the Christian church, so I don't have a problem worshiping mostly males.

Devotee of Yinepu
Wannabe Mortician

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)