The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 08:27:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 08:27:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reincarnation question  (Read 6933 times)
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 18, 2011, 12:55:38 am »

Hey, I came up with a reincarnation question for those of you who subscribe to that belief today while sitting in traffic. Tongue I was wondering about what you thought would happen if the human world ended. I mean, if we made the world uninhabitable or if a meteor took us all out, or the universe imploded or something. Would your consciousness just cease to exist? Tell me what you think! Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sammi (Dreamsinger)
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 29, 2011, 03:13:29 pm

Religion: Uh...? I have no clue what to call it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 18, 2011, 09:27:30 am »

Hey, I came up with a reincarnation question for those of you who subscribe to that belief today while sitting in traffic. Tongue I was wondering about what you thought would happen if the human world ended. I mean, if we made the world uninhabitable or if a meteor took us all out, or the universe imploded or something. Would your consciousness just cease to exist? Tell me what you think! Smiley

I think that if this world (the material realm) ceased to be a plausible place to exist, that our consciousness, as you put it, would travel to a different realm of existence and find a new way of life. Humans aren't anything, if not adaptable. If this world was destroyed, I think we'd find some other way to exist. Smiley

Music is what emotions sound like.

<3Piano<3Bassoon<3Flute<3Alto, Tenor Saxophone<3Singing<3Guitar<3

Without love, the whole world lacks it's luster.
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 18, 2011, 09:55:59 am »

Whoever said we were always reincarnated in the current time period, the current dimension, this current planet?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 18, 2011, 11:33:48 am »

Whoever said we were always reincarnated in the current time period, the current dimension, this current planet?

Given the Kemetic philosophy of the universe being in constant renewal, I accept the possibility of reincarnation.  If reincarnation exists, I see no reason why it would need to be limited to this planet.  Perhaps it's possible that our consciousness, in some form, might show up elsewhere.  It might bear little resemblance to how we view our individual selves right now, but it's possible some part of us will live on. 
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 18, 2011, 01:02:27 pm »

Given the Kemetic philosophy of the universe being in constant renewal, I accept the possibility of reincarnation.  If reincarnation exists, I see no reason why it would need to be limited to this planet.  Perhaps it's possible that our consciousness, in some form, might show up elsewhere.  It might bear little resemblance to how we view our individual selves right now, but it's possible some part of us will live on. 

'Xactly!

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 18, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »

Not I! Smiley It's just that the people that I've heard speak about reincarnation have always spoken of being reincarnated back on earth (whether human or not seems to vary depending on your religion). I was wondering if people thought they would be moved to another planet, or even another universe. If you were moved to another world, would there be an overcrowding of souls there? What about when the world population booms or declines here?
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 18, 2011, 05:34:33 pm »

I think that if the world ended we would be reincarnated in another world. I have always been sure that there was life out there somewhere so I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to go there if needed. I also believe that there is an afterlife for us to stop in between and wen we have finished being reincarnated so I guess that everyone could just stay there.
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 04, 2011, 10:08:46 am »

Two options in my belief. And not this is my belief i'm not asking anyone to agree with me here but!

Option One: We remain in the underworld "Hel" or move to another hall of the gods.
Option Two: We reincarnate not as a human, but as one of the alfar or even aesir or vanir. "Gods"

Legion.
iso2
Last Login:February 06, 2011, 08:12:51 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 05, 2011, 08:55:15 am »

Option One: We remain in the underworld "Hel" or move to another hall of the gods.
Option Two: We reincarnate not as a human, but as one of the alfar or even aesir or vanir. "Gods"
Legion.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle.  I know that there are other worlds out there and that we may be able to reincarnate there, but somehow I have hard time emotionally and I seem very bound to this current world although I am not exactly sure why that is.  At the same time I very much hope to be in Valhall on that last day when Ragnarok finally arrives and Heimdall calls us to the last battle... Smiley
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 05, 2011, 01:57:06 pm »

I think I fall somewhere in the middle.  I know that there are other worlds out there and that we may be able to reincarnate there, but somehow I have hard time emotionally and I seem very bound to this current world although I am not exactly sure why that is.  At the same time I very much hope to be in Valhall on that last day when Ragnarok finally arrives and Heimdall calls us to the last battle... Smiley

Aye, being collected by the valkyrie would be the greatest gift death could bring. But for now part of me will just wait and see.

Legion.
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 05, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »

Two options in my belief. And not this is my belief i'm not asking anyone to agree with me here but!

Legion.

While I agree mostly with number one, I think there is some confusion about two. Reincarnation doesn't really occur in heathen lore and the second comment about becoming 'gods' sort of testifies to this. One would go into the gravemound and live there. It was then normal for family to leave offerings on the gravemound, or sit upon it for inspiration, etc. The deceased didn't become a god, per se, but a part of the otherworld. There have been instances where after a time it was forgotten who was buried in the mound but people had become used to venerating the spot and so continued, and in that sense one could be seen as a demi-god...but I don't believe there's anything in the lore that states that a person can take this rank as a natural order of death.

Valhalla became romanticized to the point where it's really become bigger to the modern understanding of it then it ever was to our ancestors. In fact, the idea seems to really be that everyone goes to Hel, but some men are recruited to go on trips to Valhall and practice fighting- not that they die and remain there. I also believe the purpose of valkyries were that they came and gathered the souls of the dead who had died away from home and thus couldn't be properly buried by their families. Not everyone who dies will be taken by them. 
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 05, 2011, 03:19:33 pm »

While I agree mostly with number one, I think there is some confusion about two. Reincarnation doesn't really occur in heathen lore and the second comment about becoming 'gods' sort of testifies to this. One would go into the gravemound and live there. It was then normal for family to leave offerings on the gravemound, or sit upon it for inspiration, etc. The deceased didn't become a god, per se, but a part of the otherworld. There have been instances where after a time it was forgotten who was buried in the mound but people had become used to venerating the spot and so continued, and in that sense one could be seen as a demi-god...but I don't believe there's anything in the lore that states that a person can take this rank as a natural order of death.

Valhalla became romanticized to the point where it's really become bigger to the modern understanding of it then it ever was to our ancestors. In fact, the idea seems to really be that everyone goes to Hel, but some men are recruited to go on trips to Valhall and practice fighting- not that they die and remain there. I also believe the purpose of valkyries were that they came and gathered the souls of the dead who had died away from home and thus couldn't be properly buried by their families. Not everyone who dies will be taken by them.  

In very rare cases people / creatures that did not originate from devine blood reached the status of god by acts of extreme honor. A good example of this is the god Ull "Ullr"  and his half brother svipdagr. Which both became of godlike status either by acts of extreme honor, "willing to give their all in defense of a god / goddess "in Ull's case" or marriage with a known high god, "Svipdagr became the husband of Freyja" so though it's posible to achieve a godlike status, it rarely happenes.

Valhall is romantisized greatly in media and stories. The old belief however dictates that it's nothing more and nothing less then Odins hall. A place where those who died in battle or in another honorable way "like saving a life for instance" go. Where warriors fight and die and are returned every evening in preparation for the great battle as fortold in the prophecy we know as Ragnarök.

So personaly i expect i'll go to hel. Though this depends on my reason to be on earth right now ofcource, i might just be here to gain more knowledge. In which case i might return to valhall. I won't know till i die, and at the age of 24 i'm not planning to embrace death just yet.

Also at this point i would perfer to find peace in hel. I've been on this world for a relatively short time but i'm already tired of fighting, let alone am looking forward for an ethernity of fighting. When death comes for me i hope it brings me peace and calm.

Honor and wisdom.
Legion.

[Edit:] Perhaps an even more complicated thought to ponder about however is that fact that in Ragnarok not only many gods are spoken of as being killed, it also speaks of the posible destruction of the worlds themselves, whereas the new gods that will arise "many next of kin of the current" will reshape the worlds. So the simple thought in this is that we simply can't say where or what we'll reincarnate as. As the places we might go, will either still have to be made. Or hel itself will change location. And that's where the issue really start to get confusing.

Personaly i'm not going to worry about it yet. I'll see about these questions after i exhale for the final time. This life has to have it's priority over the afterlife, it's what we do here and now that matters at the end of the day. We can worry about death, once our days on this world come to an end.

So therefor i say hail to all of us. As we all have it in us to make a change in this world if we put our minds and hearts to it. And that makes us rather powerfull actually lol.

Legion.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:32:32 pm by Legion, Reason: Added some extra thoughts. » Logged
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 05, 2011, 03:32:27 pm »

In very rare cases people / creatures that did not originate from devine blood reached the status of god by acts of extreme honor. A good example of this is the god Ull "Ullr"  and his half brother svipdagr. Which both became of godlike status either by acts of extreme honor, "willing to give their all in defense of a god / goddess "in Ull's case" or marriage with a known high god, "Svipdagr became the husband of Freyja" so though it's posible to achieve a godlike status, it rarely happenes.

What are your sources? Even those giantesses that have married into the Aesir and borne children aren't Asynjur.

In the case of heroes, they are honored and given offerings, but they aren't gods and aren't members of the Aesir.

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 05, 2011, 03:32:49 pm »

Valhall is romantisized greatly in media and stories.

Pardon the loosely-related comment from someone who is not at all Asatru, Heathen or Norse by any stretch of the imagination...but have any of you heard the song "Valkyrie Daughter" by SJ Tucker?  

It makes me cry every. single. time.  Cry
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 05, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »

What are your sources? Even those giantesses that have married into the Aesir and borne children aren't Asynjur.

In the case of heroes, they are honored and given offerings, but they aren't gods and aren't members of the Aesir.

Prosse edda mostly. Ull and Svipdag aren't aesir or vanir, they're álfar accepted amongst the aesir and vanir. As let us not forget that at the end of the day Njord, freyr and freyja even though they're amongst the aesir are still of vanir descend.

And like this life, if you were born in russia, you will in many case consider yourself a russia no mather where you choose to live.

Legion.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)