The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 15, 2020, 12:55:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2020, 12:55:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reincarnation question  (Read 8045 times)
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 05, 2011, 03:39:36 pm »

Pardon the loosely-related comment from someone who is not at all Asatru, Heathen or Norse by any stretch of the imagination...but have any of you heard the song "Valkyrie Daughter" by SJ Tucker? 

It makes me cry every. single. time.  Cry

Yes i know of it. Good song, it doesn't bring me to tears however. I do have another song that brings up emotions in me i feel nowhere else. Some being very closely related to an ancient form of rage....

Imma open a topic about that actually on another thread. See if people can help me find the source of it.

Legion.

[Edit]: Made the topic about the song.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:08:14 pm by Legion » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 05, 2011, 04:05:46 pm »

Prosse edda mostly. Ull and Svipdag aren't aesir or vanir, they're álfar accepted amongst the aesir and vanir. As let us not forget that at the end of the day Njord, freyr and freyja even though they're amongst the aesir are still of vanir descend.

And like this life, if you were born in russia, you will in many case consider yourself a russia no mather where you choose to live.

The Aesir are the ruling class of wights. I'm a wight, you're a wight, the landvaettir are wights and the gods are wights. The only difference is that the gods are the wights who took charge. Much like I'm an American and Obama is an American but I rule my house and he rules the country. Dying a heroic death, marrying an Aesir, or giving birth to an Aesir does not make you Aesir or a god.  There is worship/honouring of the gods, ancestors and wights but being honored and worshipped doesnt make you part of the ruling council of the Aesir. The Aesir aren't a tribe or a bloodline, which is sort of the point, I think, of Simek's article about the death of the Vanir; the Vanir weren't a bloodline/tribe, either.

There are many hero sagas, and in these the hero often interacts with the gods. These speak more to the relationship between man and the Aesir and a cultural worldview then it does, in any way, speak of the hero becoming a god. The idea that Ullr is Svipdarg's half-brother seems to be a theory of Rydberg's which is considered now to just be fanciful invention. Ullr, in the sagas, appears to be much more of an older, prehistoric god, much in the same way as Tyr.

I just don't see any evidence that a hero reincarnates to god status, rather than as a venerated ancestor.

Pardon the loosely-related comment from someone who is not at all Asatru, Heathen or Norse by any stretch of the imagination...but have any of you heard the song "Valkyrie Daughter" by SJ Tucker? 

It makes me cry every. single. time.  Cry

Just watched on youtube. Smiley

AmberHeart
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 07:38:17 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Dianic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 05, 2011, 05:45:17 pm »

Not I! Smiley It's just that the people that I've heard speak about reincarnation have always spoken of being reincarnated back on earth (whether human or not seems to vary depending on your religion). I was wondering if people thought they would be moved to another planet, or even another universe. If you were moved to another world, would there be an overcrowding of souls there? What about when the world population booms or declines here?

When the world population booms, many immature souls have an opportunity to be re-incarnated.
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 05, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »

When the world population booms, many immature souls have an opportunity to be re-incarnated.

I know exacly what you mean... I've met one to many of those lol.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 11, 2020, 09:37:09 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: February 06, 2011, 05:24:47 am »

Legion,

A reminder:  Our rules generally prohibit editing after more than 2-3 minutes.  (Correcting typos or minor mistakes is OK, but don't forget to fill in the "Reason for Editing" box so that we know what's going on.)  This is because after that long, several people have already read what you've written, and they won't see the changes you make.  Because of that, they will have difficulty following the conversation when someone replies to your new, updated post.

If you need to correct or add anything significant after those 2-3 minutes, you should just reply to yourself and give the correction or additional information in the new post.  Double-posting is not considered bad behaviour here, and this will help keep everyone on the same page, so to speak.

You've done this with two posts in a row (the two I gave linkbacks to above), the first after 13 minutes, the second after nearly half an hour, and both after replies have been posted - had your edits affected the sense of the replies in any way, you'd be in a great deal more trouble than you are (I'm cutting you a bit of slack for clearly indicating what changes you'd made).

This isn't a formal warning, just a (stern) reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
iso2
Last Login:February 06, 2011, 08:12:51 am

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 06, 2011, 08:03:45 am »

Hey, I came up with a reincarnation question
I think I accidentally and unwantingly kicked off an entirely different discussion and we have lost sparrow125's question....my apologies for that
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 06, 2011, 10:55:25 am »

Legion,

A reminder:  Our rules generally prohibit editing after more than 2-3 minutes.  (Correcting typos or minor mistakes is OK, but don't forget to fill in the "Reason for Editing" box so that we know what's going on.)  This is because after that long, several people have already read what you've written, and they won't see the changes you make.  Because of that, they will have difficulty following the conversation when someone replies to your new, updated post.

If you need to correct or add anything significant after those 2-3 minutes, you should just reply to yourself and give the correction or additional information in the new post.  Double-posting is not considered bad behaviour here, and this will help keep everyone on the same page, so to speak.

You've done this with two posts in a row (the two I gave linkbacks to above), the first after 13 minutes, the second after nearly half an hour, and both after replies have been posted - had your edits affected the sense of the replies in any way, you'd be in a great deal more trouble than you are (I'm cutting you a bit of slack for clearly indicating what changes you'd made).

This isn't a formal warning, just a (stern) reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

The vast majority of edits are typo's a notice at a later time. I'm used to spelling nazi's on other forums so i'm sorry for that. Ï'm getting a huge amount of semi warnings in my first week lol"

Starting to consider leaving because of it actually.

Legion.
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 06, 2011, 10:58:05 am »

The vast majority of edits are typo's a notice at a later time. I'm used to spelling nazi's on other forums so i'm sorry for that. Ï'm getting a huge amount of semi warnings in my first week lol"

Starting to consider leaving because of it actually.

Legion.

Oh and another thing, sorry for replying this in this topic but i have to get it off my chest, i was permanently banned for making 3 replies in a row on a forum once for "spamming / flooding" so i'm used to editing my post to add notes. As well a permaban is a permaban. I thought i was using a more gentle and less agressive way of adding extra info. Clearly i was mistakened. So i actually feel slightly attacked. But this will pass in time.

Legion.
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 06, 2011, 11:04:49 am »

The vast majority of edits are typo's a notice at a later time.

I always hit "preview" before posting a post, and read it over before putting it out into the wild.  Then I'll read it again after posting it, to make sure there are not spelling errors.  Usually if I edit a post it's 30 seconds after the fact. 

If you notice an error really late after posting and you feel like the error makes it hard to understand what you said, you can always add another post to clarify.  "Oops...clarification on this. I meant to say _____"  I've never seen anyone get uppity about this. 

The rule about editing posts isn't that hard to keep, but if you're going to leave because if it then that's your decision.   Undecided
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #24: February 06, 2011, 01:46:56 pm »

I thought i was using a more gentle and less agressive way of adding extra info. Clearly i was mistakened. So i actually feel slightly attacked. But this will pass in time.

I assured you no attack was intended.  If you look around, you'll see that lots of people get these little reminders (usually about quoting, but sometimes about editing as well).  And they are just reminders, by the way, not "semi-warnings".  We dont keep track of them unless we notice that someone seems to be ignoring them (like, someone's been reminded several times but keeps not quoting).  They don't count against you.  Our forum runs a little differently than others; we know that, and try to allow for a learning curve, but if we don't point it out then it's hard for people to know how we want them to act here.  That's all these reminders are--just reminders that this place might work a little differently than you're used to, and here's what we would like you to do please.

Since this forum does seem to be a little bit different from what you're used to, I'd suggest you go back over the rules again, read them carefully, and make sure that you understand what we're requiring of you.  If you have any questions, please contact me or another member of staff privately, or post in the Board Suggestions, Questions and Feedback board--we're more than happy to help clear up confusion.  I don't think it's necessary for you to leave; it just takes a little getting used to, is all.  (Though of course that's really up to you.)

Star
Cauldron Message Board Coordinator

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #25: February 06, 2011, 01:48:59 pm »

If you notice an error really late after posting and you feel like the error makes it hard to understand what you said, you can always add another post to clarify.  "Oops...clarification on this. I meant to say _____"  I've never seen anyone get uppity about this. 

That's how we prefer it to be done, actually; we not only don't get uppity about it, we try to encourage it.  We find, especially with the debate and discussion threads we get around here, that it makes the conversation easier to follow.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)