The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 30, 2020, 12:52:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 12:52:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reincarnation in Asatru  (Read 7031 times)
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 19, 2011, 01:50:59 pm »

So I have been a follower of the Norse Gods for a few years now and one of the things I came across where it seemed that people could be reborn. Im not sure of the exact place I read it but it had to do with Hel and that when people would go there they would wait to be reborn. Has anyone else heard of this? Or is this false?

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

hlewagastir
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 11, 2011, 11:14:22 am
Denmark Denmark

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 21, 2011, 07:32:03 am »

So I have been a follower of the Norse Gods for a few years now and one of the things I came across where it seemed that people could be reborn. Im not sure of the exact place I read it but it had to do with Hel and that when people would go there they would wait to be reborn. Has anyone else heard of this? Or is this false?

Hello there.

Here´s a well researched article by Bill Linzie, check it out: http://www.angelfire.com/nm/seidhman/reincarnation2.pdf
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 21, 2011, 02:22:07 pm »

Hello there.

Here´s a well researched article by Bill Linzie, check it out: http://www.angelfire.com/nm/seidhman/reincarnation2.pdf

That's a very interesting article. I have done some research about it but mostly I came across some readings that said that people can also become Gods although I don't know how accurate that was.

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál
hlewagastir
Senior Apprentice
Denmark Denmark

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 27, 2011, 08:53:37 am »

That's a very interesting article. I have done some research about it but mostly I came across some readings that said that people can also become Gods although I don't know how accurate that was.

Sounds like someone either misunderstood the tearm euhemerism, or falvoured his Asatru with hinduistic ideas...
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 27, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »

I have heard that we are reborn through our ancestral lineage via our personal wyrd and communal orlog.  And I would interpret ancestral lineage to be not only blood, but marriage (which was a union of families rather than just individuals) and adoption as well.   I don't think this would be limited to just Hel as there are many places the dead can go such as to specific Gods' Halls. 

The place where I have read most about being reborn through our ancestral lineage is in a book primarily about Frigga and Her Handmaidens by Alice Karlsdottir called Magic of the Norse Goddesses.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
hlewagastir
Senior Apprentice
Denmark Denmark

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 28, 2011, 05:23:12 am »

I have heard that we are reborn through our ancestral lineage via our personal wyrd and communal orlog.  And I would interpret ancestral lineage to be not only blood, but marriage (which was a union of families rather than just individuals) and adoption as well.   I don't think this would be limited to just Hel as there are many places the dead can go such as to specific Gods' Halls. 

The place where I have read most about being reborn through our ancestral lineage is in a book primarily about Frigga and Her Handmaidens by Alice Karlsdottir called Magic of the Norse Goddesses.

From what I have heard about Alice Karlsdottir she should be a bright woman, however, I have not heard much good about her book while amongst recons... Does she state her sources in her book?

From what I have picked up on AL and from various literature, they were not literally reborn, but the luck or hamingja one adds to the line of one´s ćt lived on in future generations.
This especially applies to names; if I call my son Leif after my dead uncle or Kaj after my grandfather, the luck associated with these names will thrive and grow with my son - IOW, it´ll remain within the line of my family.

Pretty sure Davidson dedicated a chapter to both Hamingja and "rebirth" in her work "The Road to Hel" (note how the importance of naming is emphasized in most of her examples).
Mark C.
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 12:03:15 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen of as yet undefined specificity :-)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 28, 2011, 10:21:15 am »

Pretty sure Davidson dedicated a chapter to both Hamingja and "rebirth" in her work "The Road to Hel" (note how the importance of naming is emphasized in most of her examples).

Culture of the Teutons by Vilhelm Gronbech also has some interesting information on this. Not so much "rebirth" in a literal sense, but continuation of the luck and honour of an ancestor through subsequent generations. For example "Honour has the reality of life, or soul, and therefore the bitterness of death is removed by a hope of resurrection in fame".

Taking the name of a past ancestor was therefore thought to connect you to that ancestor. While that ancestor would impart luck and honour, and “live” through the person who took their name, it does not mean they were literarily one and the same person. I’m not aware of anything which would suggest “reincarnation” as a heathen belief in the sense that the term is most commonly understood?

Mark C.

”But when [religion] gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble” - Joseph Campbell
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 28, 2011, 12:36:51 pm »

From what I have heard about Alice Karlsdottir she should be a bright woman, however, I have not heard much good about her book while amongst recons... Does she state her sources in her book?

From what I have picked up on AL and from various literature, they were not literally reborn, but the luck or hamingja one adds to the line of one´s ćt lived on in future generations.
This especially applies to names; if I call my son Leif after my dead uncle or Kaj after my grandfather, the luck associated with these names will thrive and grow with my son - IOW, it´ll remain within the line of my family.

Yes, she does cite many of her sources in her book, but some she cites in the text and others she cites in the endnotes.  I do think she could have cited more though. Her book is more for people who want to know what we know from the lore and learn from UPG.  There is also tranceworking in her book which some may not agree with.  This book helped me develop a relationship with Frigga and conceptualize Her as a goddess rather than a mysterious figure with little about Her in the lore and I think its very useful in that regard.  May not be the best book for some recons. 

And you are correct.  I looked through her book and couldn't find a reference to literally being reborn through the family line.  I don't know where I have heard that from. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 28, 2011, 01:14:28 pm »

It has occassionally happened with some of the heroes, but I don't think it's a relevant belief in heathenism. It seems to contradict the nature and mechanics of wyrd, and it's how we interact with wyrd in this life that's more important- rather than the possibility of getting a 'do-over'.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)