The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 03:33:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 03:33:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm 25 and still don't know what I want to study!  (Read 16576 times)
mdf92
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 08:16:02 pm
United States United States

Religion: Currently Searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 29, 2011, 10:26:12 am »

Well I'm only 18. I just graduated from high school last year, and started college in September. I had no idea what I was going to major in. I was considering just taking liberal arts, and getting my core classes out of the way. However, I loved cooking. There was that slight push to take culinary arts. I ended up doing it.

I have a scholarship that will cover my tuition for any state college for four years. So money wasn't so much an issue. I've gotten so many grants, that my college actually sent me a check for the difference. I ended up with over a grand. But of course, my parents took most of it. I'm fine with that considering that I don't have a job, and they're the ones covering my book expenses and everything.

However, culinary arts is not as fun as I thought it would be. There is a lot of pressure and the kitchen, and I really don't like it. I've been considering whether or not to call it quits on the program.

I'd just be back at square one, with no idea of what else to take. When I was younger, I wanted to be a writer. But I'll need a source of income while I work towards that.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: January 29, 2011, 09:09:02 pm »

Unless you're planning on going into grad school or into a field that absolutely requires a specific academic background, your undergrad major isn't going to matter in the general work world in the way you think it will.  Many, many companies actually *prefer* hiring humanities/social science majors, because they tend to have better critical thinking and communications skills than business majors.  If you're into anthropology, I say go for it -- it makes you look far more interesting and well-rounded, and you can very easily spin it into "I'm very observant of the world around me, and have a good understanding of culture," which is a hell of an asset.  Majoring in the humanities/social sciences also indicates intellectual curiosity, and a brain that can operate on a level beyond the obvious, which many companies love. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)