The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2020, 06:34:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2020, 06:34:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magical Housekeeping  (Read 16781 times)
Fauna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 21, 2011, 09:07:42 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan with a sprinkle of cocoa

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 20, 2011, 01:38:54 pm »

I'm curious about what other people do to keep their houses 'clean' in the magical sense. Personally, I burn sage in my bedroom and do a bigger cleaning there than on the rest of the house, because I don't do magic outside of there and because I live with my family so there isn't much time when the rooms aren't in use. I also keep my bedroom tidy and clean in the literal sense because I think energy can become stagnant in cluttered, dirty places.

What do other people do (or reasons if you don't do it)?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am
United States United States

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 20, 2011, 03:50:47 pm »

I'm curious about what other people do to keep their houses 'clean' in the magical sense. Personally, I burn sage in my bedroom and do a bigger cleaning there than on the rest of the house, because I don't do magic outside of there and because I live with my family so there isn't much time when the rooms aren't in use. I also keep my bedroom tidy and clean in the literal sense because I think energy can become stagnant in cluttered, dirty places.

I'm a big time believer in magical cleaning. When we first moved into our 30 year old home it had a lot of spiritual baggage. ( Nothing evil, just nobody had bothered to do any kind of blessing, cleanse, Feng Shui, nothin'.) I had a husband who was having a hard time finding work that made him happy and abundant, a former owner ( spirit person) who was cranky about the remodeling, and relationship troubles from the inauspicious placement of a gazebo. Not to mention the weird dark entities that floated wherever they wanted to.

The first thing I addressed was the placement of furniture and plants  to draw in money and job security. Next I re did the landscaping to soften the harsh relationship vibe from that damn gazebo. I got some great advice from a Reiki healer on a terrific house spell to protect it from misfortune and draw money and luck to it.

After a couple of years things improved but I didn't have the knowledge to get the place at maximum magical efficiency. The relationship aspect of my home and life seemed cursed, but I researched it and broke out the big guns. ( Self healing, sage smudges, crystal placement, meditation and ritual.)

Now, keeping the home clean and dusted is all it needs to be kept in smooth spiritual running order. Regular celebrations of the Sabbats by using seasonal corresponding herbs and incenses does the trick.

Once I started celebrating sacred circles outside and making sacred spaces in the garden, every negative entity in my neighborhood dissolved. ( I'm working to extend a meditation for raising consciousness to my whole town too. the graffiti is now gone and the prosperity of my town has increased.)

My favorite magic cleanse is to cut a lemon in half and place it cut side down in a pile of blessed salt to drain the room of negativity. (Repeat if the lemon rots instead of dries out.)

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 20, 2011, 08:46:50 pm »

My favorite magic cleanse is to cut a lemon in half and place it cut side down in a pile of blessed salt to drain the room of negativity. (Repeat if the lemon rots instead of dries out.)
I'm going to try this - there are still rooms in my house after seven years that are...odd.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 20, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »

I'm going to try this - there are still rooms in my house after seven years that are...odd.

In effect, I have only really burned white sage for magical cleanliness of my home. I rent so a lot of the interesting ideas that I'd like to implement (such as brick dust at my doors and a thin line of white sage ash, as well) is not possible. One day, however, I WILL own my own home and be able to do these things. In the mean time, I haven't really done much except an occasional smudging.

After having read Moondog's response, I think I might need to up my game...

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Utusitusi
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 04, 2011, 03:46:02 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu

Blog entries (0)

Utusitusi

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 21, 2011, 07:50:32 am »

Me too, it seems like a great idea.

As I'll be moving into my own appartment sometime next month (Wooo!), I'll be using a combination of special hoodoo floorwashes, sprinkling and sweeping of salt and smudging.
Later, I'll set up a witch's bottle and amulets at the doorways to be renewed and fed regularly.

Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 21, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »

We have a number of small (some only 1/2 inch) gargoyle statue that we place over doorways and windows (on the trim) and use as wards for the house.  The SO loves gargoyles, which is how this started, but they make good physical anchors for shields.

AntlerandHerb.com
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 21, 2011, 01:40:15 pm »

At my dad's house I had to smudge and replenish the shield that I had up on the house regularly, because we had some seriously aggressive spirits. Where I am now, not only have I not sensed any kind of spirits at all (which feels a little odd and empty after living in an area with several of them for 20 years), but I haven't really needed to shield at all, and I've only smudged twice.

At my dads I would also sweep and use salt to get rid of negative energy (he and I don't get along, so it built up quite a bit). Oddly enough, I found baking soda to work about as well as salt in some cases. In this place I just have a couple crystals that I cleanse every once in a while to combat negative energy, and I might do a small spell, or burn a candle or some incense after an argument.
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 21, 2011, 08:31:52 pm »

I have done one super house cleaning thing. I had an unlit black candle, lit dragon's blood joss stick, and a bell. I worked from the back to the front of the house. I would first ring the bell to break up the old energies, and chase them into the candle with the incense which prevented them from sticking back where they were. I burned the candle down to nothing (thought being that the fire would cleanse the energy). I'm saving the leftover wax for either hexing or active protections.

I think I need to do it again. Things have been feeling... sticky >.<

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Chatters
Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2011, 08:07:46 am

Religion: Nature based - Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 26, 2011, 06:10:40 pm »

Hi

I like to use rosemary oil. I put up to 5 drops of rosemary  for my dusting to give the place a cleanse while I clean and add protection. I use lavender when I am dusing in the bedroom. And I make up washes for the floors using different essentail oils depending upon the room, I like to use lemon and teatree in the bathroom
StarlightSerenity
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 24, 2011, 10:30:51 pm

Religion: Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 20, 2011, 08:24:25 pm »

I'm a big time believer in magical cleaning. When we first moved into our 30 year old home it had a lot of spiritual baggage. ( Nothing evil, just nobody had bothered to do any kind of blessing, cleanse, Feng Shui, nothin'.) I had a husband who was having a hard time finding work that made him happy and abundant, a former owner ( spirit person) who was cranky about the remodeling, and relationship troubles from the inauspicious placement of a gazebo. Not to mention the weird dark entities that floated wherever they wanted to.

The first thing I addressed was the placement of furniture and plants  to draw in money and job security. Next I re did the landscaping to soften the harsh relationship vibe from that damn gazebo. I got some great advice from a Reiki healer on a terrific house spell to protect it from misfortune and draw money and luck to it.

After a couple of years things improved but I didn't have the knowledge to get the place at maximum magical efficiency. The relationship aspect of my home and life seemed cursed, but I researched it and broke out the big guns. ( Self healing, sage smudges, crystal placement, meditation and ritual.)

Now, keeping the home clean and dusted is all it needs to be kept in smooth spiritual running order. Regular celebrations of the Sabbats by using seasonal corresponding herbs and incenses does the trick.

Once I started celebrating sacred circles outside and making sacred spaces in the garden, every negative entity in my neighborhood dissolved. ( I'm working to extend a meditation for raising consciousness to my whole town too. the graffiti is now gone and the prosperity of my town has increased.)

Fantastic post Cheesy

Just wanted to ask something regarding the part that I've bolded - whats the "theory" behind using lemon? Why lemon and not another citrus fruit?

Not knocking it, just curious as I've got a lemon in my kitchen and wouldnt mind giving it a go myself Cheesy
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 21, 2011, 02:07:19 am »

Just wanted to ask something regarding the part that I've bolded - whats the "theory" behind using lemon? Why lemon and not another citrus fruit?

I'm not sure. Could be that no one wanted to explain the half a grapefruit in the room  Cheesy

Mostly, I think its just an acidity thing. Lemons are decently common and one of the more puckery sour citrus fruits. Thus, the lemon.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 24, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »

Fantastic post Cheesy

Not knocking it, just curious as I've got a lemon in my kitchen and wouldnt mind giving it a go myself Cheesy

Lemons are used for cleansing, not just in the magical sense either. The fragrance of lemon is an uplifting smell and it is also used in cleansing spells and poultices. It is even used medicinally as an aroma therapy for lifting depression and helping with respiratory problems. It has magical corresponding values and practical ones. I find it helps to drain negativity and reclaim a space.

I would use something totally different if I wanted to prepare a room for healing or to improve psychic sensitivity.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 25, 2011, 03:25:53 am »

when I move into a new place I always smudge the inside in all the rooms and cornersand around all door frames with a sage bundle and burn a white candle that's been prepared with sage oil or similar. I also have a door mat with a spiral negative energy trap written on the underside at the front door. I always do a boundary walk with salt all the way around the perimeter of my new property as well. I try to choose an appropriate moon phase too. the only other thing knave in my house that's a bit of magical protection is my gargoyle statues. I've got them allover like security cameras.there's one in the kitchen,at least four in the living room and I think that's it actually.
the room I do my work in has a doorframe rune protection that I concocted written on it,with a thick line of salt across the doorstep.
I've also used mirrors at the front door to reflect negative anythings from entering the house.

l6mmeleht
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 04, 2011, 09:13:52 am
Estonia Estonia

Religion: pagan mix

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 11, 2011, 10:40:13 am »

I've read about similar method with an onion at Gypsy Magic Spells blogg.-> http://gypsymagicspells.blogspot.com/2011/01/onion-vacuum-spell.html#Label1
I think I'll try your version out though, I also have a lemon and some sea salt.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the Present.
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 12, 2011, 12:28:08 am »

I do regular house cleanings with energy work where I make a counterclockwise current runn through my house starting at the basement and working it's way up. Before I do this I open a window to let the negative energy out, and at the bottom is a vortex that leads to the earth that is an energetic garbage disposal.

Then when my house is clean I slowly stop the counter clockwise motion and use a downward(grounding) clockwise stream to keep energy from stagnating. I don't encourage clutter and use some pinciples of fung shui. I also have a flat metal coin buried under each of the four corners of my property with protctive wards on them and a little bit of ghost mixture(white sage salt and pepper).

I keep stones in key locations of my house cooresponding to the natural energy currents of the land, and mirrors. I also have a small bundle of sage, cedar, sweetgrass and tobacco tied over the doorways and windows.

We sometimes hold powerful meditations and Cha' nupa ceremonies in our house so the energy has to be really clean. When we eal the need to we smudge, sometimes with sage, charged water, sound(bells and rattles), bless with oils and whateverelse we have been guided to use.

Once a year we air out the house, physically and otherwise. Then I wash the floors and walls with one part vinegar, a few drops of rosemary oil and charged water. I also occsionally use tea tree oil. Some areas of the house like the bathroom I use lemon. Then I do a complete cleansing ceremony that release past negative influences, cleanses present ones, and helps us prevent future ones. It also cleasnse below middle/inside and above, with each of the five elements.

Each time I do that ceremony it seems to require less energy, which to me is proof that my preventions are working. Also before I come on my propert I do a quick energetic cleansing to make sure I don't have any unnoticed negative or bgged down energy stuck on me so that I don't bring it onto the property.

The oak trees in our yard also serve not only as good places to meditate but as protectors as well. When an oak twig falls I will sometimes place it on the edge of the property or by the doorways as protections.

I also use enemy catchers in my home. They are very simular to dream catchers but they have a black stone such as obsidian or smokey quartz in the center. Occasionaly these  need to be taken outside and smudged or otherwise cleansed releasing the negative energy to a river, fire, gust of wind or to the earth. It realy depends on the type of energy involved.

Sometimes when I am traveling away from home and am staying in a hotel I will do a small cleansing ceremony right there in the hotel room with a candle, a stone, some cedar, and some charged water. If I happened to have forgot my small ceremony pouch, then I use tap water and salt and charge it with my intent and use tha to do a cleansing.

Sometimes if my ancestors are feeling up to it I ask there assistance in cleaning my home, but I only ask when I really need it. Most of the time they will give me impressions on what I need to do.

Sometimes I use meditation in conjunction with regular house cleaning and it links mental and spiritual energies in with the physical house cleaning.

I have also heard that some people dedicate their house cleaning as a offering to dieties such as Hestia or Bridgid.

If I moved into a house that had major spiritual neglect and the energy felt thick as molasses, heavy as bricks, cold as ice and stagnant as a sewer, then I would take it one room at a time doing a small clleansing ceremony for each room. That sort of house woud need a lot of persistant attention before it got better from it's spiritual illness. I would also do the work protected and prepare for a potential entity  negative encounter or a troubled earthbound spirit as those types of enviorments attract those sort of things.

This would be after I got the house checked for high EMF and a carbon monoxide leak as those can cause hallucinations and other dangerous symptoms.

That situation is an extreme though, and most likely prevention and a little bit of energetic cleansing dose just right.

Also it depends on how sensitive to energy a person or the people they are living with are to energy. I find that people who are sensitive to energy need to shield more and do more meditations as well as needing more a cleaner home energetically.

Happy Cleaning!

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)