The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 18, 2021, 09:46:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2021, 09:46:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magical Housekeeping  (Read 19682 times)
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 12, 2011, 04:11:51 am »

What do other people do (or reasons if you don't do it)?

Oh man. I was raised by one of the world's hardcore neat-freaks, and as I get older I find I am in fact becoming my mother. Shock horror. I do a proper clean once a week, and I incorporate magical cleansing into my mundane cleaning when I do.

I'm lucky enough now to live in a place with laminate and tile flooring - this means I can use floorwashes in every room if I want to. My usual routine is to add either a few drops of oil or a sachet of herbs to my mop water. If the former, I've had good results with the Coventry 'Eye of Newt' negativity dispelling oil, or Lucky Mojo's Protection blend. If the latter, I tend to use rosemary and basil with vinegar.

My old place was 90% carpet, so instead of washes I'd sprinkle salt/baking soda on the floors and let it sit while I cleaned other parts of the house like the toilet and bathtub so it could soak up any nasty vibes. I'd then vacuum it up - I would change the vacuum compartment after I was all done, just so I wouldn't have crap vibes junking up the closet.

I use a lot of vinegar in general for cleaning, and I find it has a very strong effect on magical energies. It cuts through most everything, really. I finally tried my hand at making some four thieves vinegar not long ago, and I saved it for my big spring cleaning. I just put a capful in the mop water. I buy a natural all-purpose cleanser that has rosemary in it, because not only do I love the smell but it brings peace in the home.

Anyway. I open all the windows, light a Van Van candle, and do all my sweeping/vacuuming/swiftering and mopping and dusting. Then I sage the house, or use an incense I've made up if I have a specific vibe in mind. (Like, "oooh, let's have some sexytimes in the bedroom..." or whatever.) Every few months I'll use a protective oil to draw sigils on the windows and doors to reinforce the protections I put up when I moved in.

It's all very simple, really. I'll do a LBRP and Rose Cross maybe... twice a year? Just to be safe.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 12, 2011, 10:39:04 am »

Oh man. I was raised by one of the world's hardcore neat-freaks, and as I get older I find I am in fact becoming my mother. Shock horror. I do a proper clean once a week, and I incorporate magical cleansing into my mundane cleaning when I do.

I'm lucky enough now to live in a place with laminate and tile flooring - this means I can use floorwashes in every room if I want to. My usual routine is to add either a few drops of oil or a sachet of herbs to my mop water. If the former, I've had good results with the Coventry 'Eye of Newt' negativity dispelling oil, or Lucky Mojo's Protection blend. If the latter, I tend to use rosemary and basil with vinegar.

My old place was 90% carpet, so instead of washes I'd sprinkle salt/baking soda on the floors and let it sit while I cleaned other parts of the house like the toilet and bathtub so it could soak up any nasty vibes. I'd then vacuum it up - I would change the vacuum compartment after I was all done, just so I wouldn't have crap vibes junking up the closet.

I use a lot of vinegar in general for cleaning, and I find it has a very strong effect on magical energies. It cuts through most everything, really. I finally tried my hand at making some four thieves vinegar not long ago, and I saved it for my big spring cleaning. I just put a capful in the mop water. I buy a natural all-purpose cleanser that has rosemary in it, because not only do I love the smell but it brings peace in the home.

Anyway. I open all the windows, light a Van Van candle, and do all my sweeping/vacuuming/swiftering and mopping and dusting. Then I sage the house, or use an incense I've made up if I have a specific vibe in mind. (Like, "oooh, let's have some sexytimes in the bedroom..." or whatever.) Every few months I'll use a protective oil to draw sigils on the windows and doors to reinforce the protections I put up when I moved in.

It's all very simple, really. I'll do a LBRP and Rose Cross maybe... twice a year? Just to be safe.

This is my recipe or 4 theives vinegar
4 thieves vinegar

1 gallon cider vinegar
1oz rosemary
 1oz lavender
 1oz wormwood
 1oz powder camphor
 1oz sage
 1oz peppermint
 1oz lemongrass 1oz rue
 mix all... boil for 4 minutes, begin on a monday
 and for 4 days, boil once each day at 4:00pm, each time for 4 minutes
 strain, and bottle

pray to the 4 directions for protection and to make anyone who is not meant to be here, or is a person with bad motivations leave, with no harm coming to them as they go.

I have yet to deal with carpets so it's good that you told me about how you handle them. I do have a few rugs, but the ones that don't go in the washer, I take outside and beat them. From what I've seen it pretty much shakes loose negative energies and gives me so much needed exersize too. Your way would be convient for me when I do not have the time to beat the rugs.

I find that when making floor washes or cleansing/protection oils I always get a better effect if I make them myself as opposed to buying them. I tend to make them in small doses that way I can specify them to the type of energy I am trying to ceanse.

Sometimes I will even expose the mixture when it is near completion to a miniscule amount of the energy I am trying to cleanse. It creates a stronger link, almost like a hunting dog getting a sent of what it is hunting for.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
l6mmeleht
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 04, 2011, 09:13:52 am
Estonia Estonia

Religion: pagan mix

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 12, 2011, 11:12:45 am »

What is this Rose Cross you are refering to?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the Present.
r2squared
Journeyman
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:52:35 am

Religion: not sure yet

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 12, 2011, 02:08:06 pm »

I'm curious about what other people do to keep their houses 'clean' in the magical sense. Personally, I burn sage in my bedroom and do a bigger cleaning there than on the rest of the house, because I don't do magic outside of there and because I live with my family so there isn't much time when the rooms aren't in use. I also keep my bedroom tidy and clean in the literal sense because I think energy can become stagnant in cluttered, dirty places.

You're right, clutter and unorganization can definitely lead to some janky energy. I do a simple house blessing. With my door ajar and the windows open, I cast a circle on the entire house (this is probably the longest part of the ritual on the count of I have to really try and stretch that energy over the entire place and make it as big as possible.)

Then I call the elements and gather up salt, water, a red candle, and some incense. (Sage also works, but I usually use Opium and Lavender incense.)

Go through your house counterclockwise and say "By the power of/In the name of ___ I cleanse this house." Start with Earth (salt) then Air (incense/sage) then Fire (candle) and Water (well, you get the picture.)

At each open door or window, throw a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of water outside. Also pay attention to the corners of your house and little tiny places you don't normally pay attention to, because those are the spots that energy can build up in.

After you do this, walk through one more time with Lavender or Jasmine incense. Stand in the center of each room and say, "May love and happiness fill this room."

Then voila! Your house is clean. Smiley

I'm on the right track, baby.
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 12, 2011, 02:30:33 pm »

I'm curious about what other people do to keep their houses 'clean' in the magical sense. Personally, I burn sage in my bedroom and do a bigger cleaning there than on the rest of the house, because I don't do magic outside of there and because I live with my family so there isn't much time when the rooms aren't in use. I also keep my bedroom tidy and clean in the literal sense because I think energy can become stagnant in cluttered, dirty places.

I've never actually felt the need. My house is 200 years old  in places and fairly buzzes  especially in the older areas. It's part of the house though, the spirits and the energy belong here.  If I do want to keep the ambient energy out for one reason or other  (which is rare) I'll cast a compass but otherwise we coexist quite happily.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 13, 2011, 02:14:36 am »

What is this Rose Cross you are refering to?

Oh, sorry! The Ritual of the Rose Cross is sort of a follow-up to the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. Both are Ceremonial Magic techniques, so there's lots of hand-waving and intoning of sacred sounds. The way it was explained to me is that the LBRP kicks nasty stuff out, but it's sort of like using a grenade - it's, er, noticeable. The Rose Cross works to counter that as it purifies the space. It also promotes a very calm atmosphere, which I like.
Flint
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 21, 2011, 09:46:32 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 15, 2011, 11:46:03 am »

I'm curious about what other people do to keep their houses 'clean' in the magical sense. Personally, I burn sage in my bedroom

I like using (white) sage too: both for my flat and myself.  I tend to leave the windows shut until I've 'saged' the whole flat and then let everything blow out when I open them.

My favorite magic cleanse is to cut a lemon in half and place it cut side down in a pile of blessed salt to drain the room of negativity. (Repeat if the lemon rots instead of dries out.)

This sounds interesting.  I shall have to try this one out! Smiley
Jujulinda
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm

Religion: Not sure. The Universe is so vast...

Blog entries (0)

EmoFruit HelloSunshine90

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 16, 2011, 08:57:24 pm »

I've also used mirrors at the front door to reflect negative anythings from entering the house.

I've read other places, I'll have to look it up again because it was a long time ago, that this actually traps the negative energies or spirits and it's actually a bad practice. That it can reek havoc. Maybe I'm just pulling something out of my ass. But has anyone ever heard this before?

Mirrors honestly creep me out. But I literally grew up with a very large, antique mirror. I don't know why I had it but I just recently (a year ago) got rid of it. I may sound crazy but it would swing on the wall by itself. It was a 50 lb mirror that hung flush with the wall. So, something swinging a good 8 or 9 inches back and forth is rather strange. It was owned by my great grandmother, her mother and my grandma then me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:02:00 pm by Jujulinda, Reason: I needed to add something. » Logged

"Oh how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #23: May 16, 2011, 11:12:54 pm »

I've read other places, I'll have to look it up again because it was a long time ago, that this actually traps the negative energies or spirits and it's actually a bad practice. That it can reek havoc. Maybe I'm just pulling something out of my ass. But has anyone ever heard this before?

I use mirrors too.  Small, unnoticeable ones, and I face them out, through a window in the wall or the door.  Nothing is trapped inside - it is simply reflected and unable to get inside.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jujulinda
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm

Religion: Not sure. The Universe is so vast...

Blog entries (0)

EmoFruit HelloSunshine90

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 17, 2011, 01:57:57 am »

I use mirrors too.  Small, unnoticeable ones, and I face them out, through a window in the wall or the door.  Nothing is trapped inside - it is simply reflected and unable to get inside.

Absent

Oh, ok. That makes sense. Whatever works for you. Smiley I just personally dislike them. There's only one in my apartment. It's in the bathroom and it's only there because it's part of the wall. I also don't really have anything reflective or shiny in my house. No metal really. I never really noticed this until now. Haha. Even t.v.'s, when they're turned off, freak me out. Geez..I'm paranoid...

"Oh how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."
MamaMoonlight
Apprentice
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 06:24:59 pm

Religion: UU/Goddess Worshipper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: May 31, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »

I'm curious about what other people do to keep their houses 'clean' in the magical sense.

I write spells on my brushes, buckets, and broom.  And I boil some hot water and put herbs in my clean bucket...rosemary usually.  And sea salt.  I consider myself to be a hearth witch in training and like to learn as much as I can about this sort of thing. My full time job is to take care of my home and family, and protect my Keep and those within.  I only clean rooms when they call to me.  Speaking of which I need to take out the trash and do some cleaning..bye Cheesy 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)