The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 03, 2022, 04:51:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2022, 04:51:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan? Then you'd better keep an exorcist on speed dial  (Read 13588 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 21, 2011, 11:08:19 pm »

Actually, Transcendental Meditation has been on the fundie watch-list since the 70's, IIRC.

Is it because they're jealous?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 21, 2011, 11:39:12 pm »

Is it because they're jealous?

Actually, I think it does make a weird kind of sense.  If you believe that it's possible to "open" yourself to the universe, and you believe in demonic forces that envy and/or loathe your humanity, it does make a kind of sense to think that demons would try to possess you if you gave them the opportunity.  That's why they're freaked out about divination, as well.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 22, 2011, 05:43:48 am »

Wow, that quote about the sexual abuse relation really offends me.    Angry

It reminds me of when I was younger, when I actually did worry about being hurt and persecuted by demons. That was years before I had the flash backs of being sexually abused as a child.
Not being sexually abused, but I didn't like that either. Sounds like victim paternalism to me. 'Oh those poor abused people, they are so wounded that they are really in danger of inviting the wrong forces in, you can't let them go off to Buddhist camps...they don't know what's good and bad for them...they need my Catholic expert help...'

And what about the Catholic priests who abused people? Did they invite the wrong forces in? Must have been some mistake...

Not that teaching people they were sinful might have anything to do with some people believing to be possessed or stained by evil forces...

There's a funny text passage in one of Terry Pratchett's book about an Omnian priest trying to exorcise his own spirit, because it is oh-so-evil.

[/rant by acerbic ex-catholic/]

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 22, 2011, 10:40:50 am »

Sometimes people ask, "Why now?" And I say, because now there are more Catholics who are involved in paganism and idolatry, so there are a lot of people who are opening a lot of doors to the diabolical.

Let's be honest, weren't Catholics always involved with paganism and idolatry?  Tongue
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 22, 2011, 11:52:09 am »

Let's be honest, weren't Catholics always involved with paganism and idolatry?  Tongue

Hee, hee, hee.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 22, 2011, 01:54:19 pm »

Cheesy That's the protestant version...

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 22, 2011, 07:21:44 pm »

Cheesy That's the protestant version...

It surely was, according to my late mother. WOW was it ever. ::shaking head::

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 24, 2011, 01:05:22 pm »

The new Anthony Hopkins horror movie The Rite opens soon (I'm salivating, as I love that kind of flick), and in anticipation, the real-life exorcist on whom the film is based was interviewed.

Part 2 of the interview is out. No surprises, really:

Father Thomas: I think people should know if there are any effects from being involved in these things, and they should know why. They are tapping into these kinds of activities and if they do not know, they are really running a risk of opening themselves up [to possible demonic influence or demonic possession].

For example, people who get involved with psychics, or tarot cards, Ouija boards, crystals, Wicca, or even yoga. My mother does yoga, but she does it for exercise. There is a difference between that kind of use of yoga, and the practice of it where it is giving you a certain kind of power to influence other people. Supposedly you can use yoga for a variety of different reasons.

Read it for yourself, or not, at http://www.zenit.org/article-31525?l=english

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: January 24, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »

Read it for yourself, or not, at http://www.zenit.org/article-31525?l=english

Sigh. This guy really makes the worst excesses like like normal activities for "pagans".

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 24, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »

(The interview can be found at http://www.zenit.org/article-31515?l=english)

Father Thomas: The ministry is essential.

It is not because we are having so many cases of demonic possession. What we are seeing -- speaking from my experience -- is that we are all, not just the exorcists, but priests in general, having a lot more people coming to us about matters that are of this realm. Many of the issues people are coming with are actually not demonic; they are more related to mental health.

Sometimes people ask, "Why now?" And I say, because now there are more Catholics who are involved in paganism and idolatry, so there are a lot of people who are opening a lot of doors to the diabolical.

(Bold type added.)

1. I would argue that the vast majority of "demonic possessions" have been mental health issues, if not all of them.  The term "inner demon" comes to mind.

2. How the heck does paganism = mental health issues?  Just because you don't understand or don't subscribe doesn't make it evil.

I am so very much on the wrong planet.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 24, 2011, 07:27:33 pm »

My first thoughts on this were:  Wow, it's sad that this wackjob is dissing my religion.

My second thoughts surprised me:  Wow, it's sad that the only representative the Church has of a real exorcist is a wackjob.  There's some scary shit in the 'verse that we don't understand.  What if exorcisms are sometimes necessary, and Catholics who need them have nowhere to go except for a priest who will just blame the victim?

Just random thoughts from a random ex-Catholic. 
And, having just seen The Last Exorcism, I mourn for the people's loss of those that really know what to do. 

*sigh*

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 24, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »

2. How the heck does paganism = mental health issues?  Just because you don't understand or don't subscribe doesn't make it evil.
Oh, didn't you know? We're all mentally and emotionally fucked up from horrific childhoods. That's the only reason we find an alternate spirituality.  Roll Eyes

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 24, 2011, 11:26:34 pm »

Oh, didn't you know? We're all mentally and emotionally fucked up from horrific childhoods. That's the only reason we find an alternate spirituality.  Roll Eyes

Nope. My mental and emotional fuckery is mostly genetic. :p

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 25, 2011, 02:26:15 am »

I knew that Wicca, crystals and everything else would be in there, but Yoga?

Personally, I think this next part is absolutely nonsensical:-

But there would be things leading up to that; for example, these people could have an obsessive amount of thoughts or ideas of the Satanic, or feel a tremendous amount of depression in their lives, usually due to tapping into the spirit world. Those would be signs.

What is an obsessive amount, exactly? And how does depression fit it? If depression means that I'm possessed, then so are about 50% of the people on this planet!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 25, 2011, 03:51:02 am »

With the opening of doorways to the New Age and the occult, you do not know what is behind that door; you do not know what you are tapping into most of the time.

Because only the Catholic church knows whats there, and you obviously you don't, you poor, young, deluded soul. Come back to the bosom of the Mother Church and be educated, not play in the mud or you'll get hurt, and then whose fault will that be?

Really, thats what he's (the exorcist) saying: ONLY they know what's "beyond" those "doorways", and we cannot POSSIBLY know because we're.. gods I don't know, any number of things, from non-Catholic, to too young, to whatever sort of factor you can twist to degrade and undermine someone.

Puh.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.