The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 06:37:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 06:37:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Greek and Egyptian? A mixing pantheons question.  (Read 2460 times)
WhatIf
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 06:59:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Neo-pagan. Buddhist. Still searching.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 22, 2011, 02:49:46 am »

I prefer Egyptian deities above others, but there are a couple Greek ones I'm fond of too. Do they get along? I think I remember some things about them being similar or that Isis is the Greek's version/view of Aset or something.

Another question: what do you guys think of Aset/Isis? Do you believe they are the same goddess? Two seperate ones? That she was originally Aset, but later morphed into Isis?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 22, 2011, 03:37:50 am »

I prefer Egyptian deities above others, but there are a couple Greek ones I'm fond of too. Do they get along? I think I remember some things about them being similar or that Isis is the Greek's version/view of Aset or something.

I have Hades as a Patron, but I follow Neith as well. Their areas of influence don't clash at all and they don't seem (to me, at least) to have any problems at all, but I couldn't say how other combinations would or wouldn't work.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 22, 2011, 10:17:35 am »

At one point, the Greeks adopted the Egyptian deities into their own pantheon, associating certain Gods and Goddesses with their own (Anpu and Hermes, for instance). There's more information at http://neosalexandria.org if you're interested, though I'm not sure if there are better websites. Either way, combining the two pantheons is totally doable!

Another question: what do you guys think of Aset/Isis? Do you believe they are the same goddess? Two seperate ones? That she was originally Aset, but later morphed into Isis?

As a hard polytheist, I view Aset and Isis as two different deities. I'm not a devotee of either of Them, nor have I done much research, so I can't delve into details, but Aset to me seems much fiercer and more queenly, whereas Isis seems to be a benevolent, nourishing mother to all.

Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 22, 2011, 10:35:40 am »

I follow both pantheons, and I don't see it as a problem. Popular names of Egyptian deities, like Isis, Hathor, Osiris, Horus, and so on, are all Greek versions of the names. Modern Egyptologists have different versions of the names, but as the ancient Egyptian language had no vowels, no one really knows how they were pronounced. Anyway, the reason Egyptian gods have names in the Greek language is because there was a great deal of exchange between the two cultures, and syncretism in their religious ideas.

Regarding Isis, I personally think she and Aset are the same goddess . The Greeks had a different understanding of her according to their culture, in contrast to how Egyptians understood her from their cultural lens. A different cultural interpretation of a divinity does not mean a new deity altogether. Still, if people want to view them as separate, I don't think it's a problem.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 22, 2011, 10:49:22 am »

I would say that if any of the Greek and Egyptian deities don't get along, it's a matter of personality, not a clashing of the overall cultures. In antiquity there was quite a bit of syncreticism, as other posters have mentioned. I don't know the link offhand, but Neos Alexandria might be a good resource for you if you're looking at working with both pantheons and want it to go smoothly. I personally have four Greek and four Egyptian deities in my thematic pantheon, and there does not seem to be any issues.

As for Aset and Isis- I am inclined to believe that at one time, they were the same deity; Isis was simply the Greek name for Aset, as Hathor is for Hetharu, Osiris for Wesir, etcetera. However, as Isis' cult spread through the Mediterranean, I believe that she developed into her own entity, distinct from Aset, as Isis' personality and associations are considerably different than Aset's.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 22, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

I am a hard polytheist, as Firaza is, and I do not believe them to be the same entity. The Greek versions of the Egyptian gods are more... watered down, I feel.

SetAset would be the best person to speak to about the differences between Isis and Aset, however.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
WhatIf
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 06:59:01 pm

Religion: Neo-pagan. Buddhist. Still searching.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 22, 2011, 05:31:09 pm »

Thanks you guys.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 22, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »

As others have stated Neos Alexandria can help you with the Egyptian and Greek syncretism if that's where you're wanting to go. 

I personally view Aset and Isis as separate deities. 
The main differences between Aset and Isis are both their personalities and historical attributes that were given to each goddess.

Aset is determined, ruthless and cunning. She's more a trickster, a sorceress and a shapeshifter. She's the Mother of the King, a mourner, a psychopomp, and the Mistress of Magic. She is a deity of with solar attributes as both a goddess of the sunrise and an Eye of Ra cobra.  She's the goddess of the Nile river rather than the sea.  As far as I know Aset had nothing to do with the institution of  marriage. In Kemet, Ma'at was the goddess over cosmic order and law; Judges were known as Priests of Ma'at.  Like all Kemetic gods, Aset helped to uphold the cosmic order.  Aset also has many theophanies (sacred animals): kite, cobra, female vulture, falcon, lioness, female leopard, cow, sow, female hippo, scorpion, etc. which show a part of her nature. I don't think the ancient Romans were as "animal happy" as the ancient Egyptians were. :-)

Isis is more the Mother of All, compassionate, emphasis was put on her Sorrowful Wife and Mother aspects and she was accessible to many devotees. Aset tends to be more particular about who She considers Hers. Isis grabbed hold of many Greek and especially Roman attributes. In Rome, where Isis was worshiped, her statues are in Roman garb rather than her Egyptian visage. She was a goddess of the moon, sea, law and marriage among many other things.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)