The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 16, 2017, 01:54:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:54:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hestia  (Read 2645 times)
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 22, 2011, 10:59:14 am »

I'm new to working with the Greek gods, so please bare with my simple questions.

Has anyone worked with or honor Hestia? How has she communicated with you and what is your general feeling you get when working with her?

Thanks in advance for your time and experience.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: January 22, 2011, 12:04:59 pm »

I'm new to working with the Greek gods, so please bare with my simple questions.

Has anyone worked with or honor Hestia? How has she communicated with you and what is your general feeling you get when working with her?

I don't do any work specifically with her, but I honor her daily as the goddess of hearth and home.  In my kitchen I keep a shallow dish next to an LED pillar candle that's always on (er, except as necessary to change batteries).  Every morning, I stand before this little shrine, recite a prayer to Hestia, and pour a small libation of olive oil into the shallow dish.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 30, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »

I don't do any work specifically with her, but I honor her daily as the goddess of hearth and home.  In my kitchen I keep a shallow dish next to an LED pillar candle that's always on (er, except as necessary to change batteries).  Every morning, I stand before this little shrine, recite a prayer to Hestia, and pour a small libation of olive oil into the shallow dish.

I have a flameless candle set up in my living room (Which is where I spend most of my time, and where I eat most of my meals.)  I give her a small portion of whatever I eat in honour of her for blessing and protecting my home. 
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 30, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »

As the goddess of the sacred flame, she is central to Hellenic practice, as she represents the sacrificial fire in which people give their offerings to the other gods.

She's the quiet, gentle goddess of the hearth and home. She brings blessings on the household and is a guardian of the family.

Arcadia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 14, 2013, 10:01:21 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Polytheist, dedicated to Artemis, Dionysus, Aurora.
TCN ID: Arcadia

Guided be the hand and mind

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 08, 2011, 11:37:22 am »

I have a framed picture of her above my mantelpiece and I light a candle and incense for her every other day, to say thank you to her for protecting my home and family.

If you'd like a good resource to learn about her, take a look at this link
http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Hestia.html

Blessings.
Arcadia
Dithyramb
Last Login:June 27, 2011, 03:06:15 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenic-flavoured pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 14, 2011, 06:35:48 am »

Hestia is the chief goddess in my practice and I was drawn towards Hellenism through Her. Though I'm not recon in my style of worship and wouldn't consider myself a card-carrying Hellenist I do have a kitchen window shrine dedicated to Hestia with a statue, flowers (fresh in the winter but artificial in the summer as the sun wilts fresh flowers before they can even open), incense, a little red pot for libations and one of those church style sanctuary lights which burn for three days so I can keep a flame always burning for Her.

I offer Her daily prayers, usually in the form of the Orphic and Homeric Hymns as well as personal connection time. My experiences of Hestia is as a more complex goddess than She first seems, though I find Her to be infinitely patient and gentle natured. I tend to offer Her wine, fruit, essential oils and barley. On a practical level I honour Her by keeping the house clean and regularly having guests round for dinner, though I love to cook so that's no hardship! 

“Only a dog barks guests away from his own door.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)