The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 04:30:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:30:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dolphins  (Read 2598 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 24, 2011, 08:29:22 am »

I just had a very intense dream with a dolphin. (I don't want to post the dream.) I've had encounters with dolphins before in a few spirit journeys a while ago. I realized I've never researched this much, but I feel that it is very important at the moment that I finally pay some attention to my relationship (whatever it is) with dolphins.

So I wonder if anyone can give me some hints and inspirations about dolphin lore, your own experiences, good documentaries, inspiring fiction about dolphins etc.

Searching the forum I've already found very beautiful poetry by Entwife and I also know Poseidon and Mannannan are associated with dolphins, but that's as much as I have at the moment. I'm open to various stuff about dolphins, not just as the companion of a deity (although that could also be interesting). I hope getting various suggestions from others might inspire me in which direction I need to look.

Thanks!

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 24, 2011, 10:19:32 am »

I just had a very intense dream with a dolphin. (I don't want to post the dream.) I've had encounters with dolphins before in a few spirit journeys a while ago. I realized I've never researched this much, but I feel that it is very important at the moment that I finally pay some attention to my relationship (whatever it is) with dolphins.

So I wonder if anyone can give me some hints and inspirations about dolphin lore, your own experiences, good documentaries, inspiring fiction about dolphins etc.

Searching the forum I've already found very beautiful poetry by Entwife and I also know Poseidon and Mannannan are associated with dolphins, but that's as much as I have at the moment. I'm open to various stuff about dolphins, not just as the companion of a deity (although that could also be interesting). I hope getting various suggestions from others might inspire me in which direction I need to look.

Thanks!

Could the dolphin be your spirit animal, perchance?

Delphin was the Greek dolphin god, apparently. And dolphins were also associated with Apollo and Aphrodite. In Hinduism, dolphins were associated with Ganga, the Ganges River god.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 24, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »

Thanks!

Dionysus was linked with them too... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphins_in_mythology

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 24, 2011, 04:28:35 pm »

I don't know about mythology concerning dolphins, but a good (although horrifying and sad) documentary on them would be The Cove. It's about hidden dolphin slaughter in Japan. If you're trying to have a closer relationship to dolphins you could watch the documentary, then write some letters and emails to people to try to bring attention to and a stop to the problem. I do something similar by writing letters and emails to politicians and the like about the wild horses, and it's one of Epona's favorite offerings.
Spirit Bear
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 11:57:24 pm

Religion: Wiccan (with druidic roots, no pun intended)
TCN ID: Spiritbear

violence isn't nor ever has been the answer...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 25, 2011, 10:26:29 pm »

Thanks!
Dolphins are sentient creatures, they display the same behaviors we do for the mostpart. *a dolphin in captivity was released, now wild dolphins have adopted tricks as a social thingamajig*

The road less traveled, has many signs, "spirit bear was here" is a good sign you aren't on that road...
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 25, 2011, 10:32:53 pm »

Dolphins are sentient creatures, they display the same behaviors we do for the mostpart. *a dolphin in captivity was released, now wild dolphins have adopted tricks as a social thingamajig*

These human-like behaviors also include gang rape and killing for fun.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 01, 2011, 11:35:48 am »

Perhaps nothing but Artemis of Stracuse is associated with dolphins.  Another story that maybe of interest

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art82.htm
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 02, 2011, 04:58:54 am »

Perhaps nothing but Artemis of Stracuse is associated with dolphins.
Thanks, that's interesting! I've never come across an Artemis of Syracuse associated with Dolphins. Do know ressources on that?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 02, 2011, 08:50:19 am »

Thanks, that's interesting! I've never come across an Artemis of Syracuse associated with Dolphins. Do know ressources on that?

Most of the info for the Dolphins and Artemis of Syracuse comes from thier coins.  Most of the coins in question show the head of Artemis surrounded by dolphins or the head of the nymph with the image of the dolphins representing Artemis.  I've got an doctors appt this morning so will try to find some links this afternoon but wanted to give you somewhat of an answer.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)