The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 09, 2021, 12:36:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2021, 12:36:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How did you find the pagan religion that suits you?  (Read 8927 times)
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 04, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »

Paganism, as an umbrella belief and worship system, interests me. What I can't decide on is *which* pagan religion is calling me... I know it's easy to say "Just read books about wicca/asatru/kemeticism until you find the one that speaks to you"... While I agree it's important to learn about all of the various pagan religions, I'm still anxious to find the system that really clicks with me...

What draws a pagan to one particular system? Is it a certain deity that draws you? Is it a culture? Is it the artwork or poetry? The ritual? Does a pagan even need to follow a system, or can they choose to venerate gods/goddesses from various traditions? I.e., I've always been drawn to Isis, but I've also been drawn to Diana, Brigid, Neptune, etc.

I was a philosophical pagan for quite a few years. No path really clicked with me and I never got that sense of coming home that other pagans seemed to talk about. So I just worked with building a polytheistic view and other pagan philosophies. During all that time I had known of heatherny but for some reason I never let myself explore it, even when searching for my roots. (I looked at slavic paganism instead.) Finally I hit a point where I had felt the nature of a heathen god, and I couldn't not explore heathenry anymore. Once I did it all just fell into place. And I'm happy it worked out that way; rather than me trying to make a path fit, it just became an inescapable truth that I had no choice but to explore. I'm still not sure exactly why I was so adamant about not looking into heathenry- but I never considered at the time that such a strong reaction might be meaningful.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Adrianne Boudreau
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2011, 07:36:16 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan leaning towards Old Dianic Witchcraft
TCN ID: AdrianneBoudreau

Not The Usual Girl You Take Home

Blog entries (0)

561374315 Adrianne Boudreau adrianneb78239

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 09, 2011, 04:31:43 am »

Paganism, as an umbrella belief and worship system, interests me. What I can't decide on is *which* pagan religion is calling me... I know it's easy to say "Just read books about wicca/asatru/kemeticism until you find the one that speaks to you"... While I agree it's important to learn about all of the various pagan religions, I'm still anxious to find the system that really clicks with me...

What draws a pagan to one particular system? Is it a certain deity that draws you? Is it a culture? Is it the artwork or poetry? The ritual? Does a pagan even need to follow a system, or can they choose to venerate gods/goddesses from various traditions? I.e., I've always been drawn to Isis, but I've also been drawn to Diana, Brigid, Neptune, etc.

Well for me, I was kinda called to it. For a long time I was angry at the christian god for not saving me when I prayed to him to do so after I was molested as child. So I gave up on Christianity and started looking into other religions.  Shortly after searching I was called to Wicca. The first book though was full of misinformation and christian propaganda and but I still wanted to be a witch so badly. It wasn't until I found a Scott Cunningham book, I think is called 'Living Wicca'. Off and on I practiced solitary Wicca for about eight or so years and then I went on a long hiatus that I just now coming back from. So as I began my path, I started to realize that my belief system was moving away from mainstream Wicca into the more Old Dianic Witchcraft category. It took me a long time to be okay to move away from Wicca and from a lot of things I grew up with.

Another reason for jumping into Wicca when I was earlier was because my maternal side of the family practice christian witchcraft. A lot of there is stuff is quite dark and I wanted to run as fast I could away from their example. It took me along time to realize that christian based witchcraft, voodoo, and Santeria are not inherently bad. It was just my family members that were.

Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 09, 2011, 06:52:42 am »

My interest in paganism coincided with my immersion in the goth subculture, as well as some serious transition issues. Mainstream people seem to believe that all goths are pagans, if not outright satanists. I've met both kinds, though most seem to be agnostic/atheists. But that's another story.

On topic, I was caught for a while in the whole doom and gloom thing and researched death and underworld gods, but mostly academically. I participated in rituals that did not name names, more meditations than anything else. I thought of invoking Scáthach, to help me with the battleground that is secondary school. There is some Scot in my ancestry, so I thought she would be appropriate. Instead, it was Hecate who came for me. I have no connection to the eastern Mediterranean, but she doesn't seem to care, nor do her friends. She has introduced me to Greek and Roman associates so far. Scáthach seems content to wait.

I think that working with a single pantheon is fine, but the deities in question need to agree, and there may always be others who want in on the party.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Helmsman_of_Inepu
Master Member
Last Login:May 28, 2012, 07:22:37 am

Religion: Kemetic Reconnaissance, Flamekeeping

Blog entries (0)

Helmsman Of-Inepu

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 09, 2011, 08:25:03 am »

Grin Maybe we should start a flowchart to help pick a pagan path!  Cheesy

Step 1- How many gods?
     a - none
     b - one
     c - many
     d - many, but I'm only talking to one of them!
     e - b and c, kinda, sorta
etc. etc.

For my part, I have friends that follow different pagan paths, but those paths didn't appeal to me that much. Some of them had a "make it up as you go along" feeling to me, which would make me feel silly. Well, even sillier. They find them creative and liberating, YMMV.

When I first heard about Kemeticism I thought: "Wow! You can actually do that?" But my initial search on the net didn't turn up much that was useful. Possibly I was running into too much Afro-centrism. This Summer I met someone else who gave me more specific links to find better info. In my case, ancestry has nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

I suppose that if someone doesn't like to read, they probably shouldn't be Kemetic.  Roll Eyes 

Kemetic Writers Group - Fiction and Poetry - Join! Create! Have fun!
Kemetic Reconnaissance blog.
Adding in a bit of Flamekeeping too. (dark flame, bright flame)
Lesnyduch
Last Login:March 07, 2011, 05:25:59 pm
Slovakia Slovakia

Religion: Celtic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 15, 2011, 05:05:41 am »

For me find my religion was pretty easy........ so first it began when i walked in forests and i give spiritual power from it and also we have there some old celtic graveyards and two celtic villages discovered by Archaeologists next some old statues of slavic gods... i really feel power from it...... and thats the point try to walked some places which are connected with some religion and you will se  Wink
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 15, 2011, 06:12:50 am »

For me find my religion was pretty easy........ so first it began when i walked in forests and i give spiritual power from it and also we have there some old celtic graveyards and two celtic villages discovered by Archaeologists next some old statues of slavic gods... i really feel power from it...... and thats the point try to walked some places which are connected with some religion and you will se  Wink
i agree with you there,i live in the north west of canada(south actually) but north west of the continent and i suppose it was a bit of my irish roots but i always felt alot of power from native haida imagery and the coast line and forests out here.
going down to the beach on a blustery grey day,you scream at the waves and they come for you! its awesome.
but i digress....O.o

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)