The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 17, 2019, 08:35:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 08:35:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Offerings: What do your Gods like?  (Read 6747 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 28, 2011, 12:51:29 am »

So, if you give offerings to your diety of choice, what do you offer? What do your gods and goddesses prefer?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:24:52 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject Changed » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 28, 2011, 10:38:15 am »

So, if you give offerings to your diety of choice, what do you offer? What do your gods and goddesses prefer?

They like tidiness and beauty. They encourage personal integrity from me.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 28, 2011, 11:16:40 pm »

Sekhmet prefers bread, cold water, frankincense incense blends, and the occasional orange. She also enjoys naan bread, the growing collection of bloodstone objects I've been buying, and the fact that I'm finally taking my health seriously.

Hwt-Hrw prefers Special K breakfast bars, orange juice, lotus blossom blend incense, and apples. She also enjoys Honey Nut Cheerios (this is UPG, by the way). She loves pretty, sparkly objects, and wants more crystals/stones to add to the growing collection. She appreciates agate stones for personal dedication and refuses to let me touch my Tarot cards unless I have been cleansed properly. She likes a clean house and loves to watch me snuggle with my son.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 28, 2011, 11:27:51 pm »

For Aset I offer milk, chocolate milk, chocolate with nuts, strawberries, fruit smoothies and various pastries.  I also clean my home and write for Her. 

For Nebet Het I offer beer, wine and water.  For Wepwawet I offer chicken, beef, beer, wine and cheese or cheese pizza. 

For Oya I offer red wine and eggplant. 

For Frigga I offer milk or beer.  I also clean my home for Her. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 28, 2011, 11:34:56 pm »

Coffee, pop, sweets, shiny things, alcohol...
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: January 29, 2011, 11:40:18 am »

Frankincense seems to work pretty well for most of the Greeks, as does olive oil or wine.  Other than that, it depends on the context of the offering.  If I'm celebrating a particular occasion, there may be some offering that's appropriate to that--for example, Theogamia is this week, and being a wedding-centered sort of festival, I was thinking of baking cake to offer.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 29, 2011, 02:00:00 pm »

In general, traditional items like olive oil, incense (myrrh especially), grain products, meat, wine, and harvest items like fruit.  I go with items like these when I'm making offerings or libations to the pantheon as a whole.  I also cook meals for some holidays, but after offering it's typically consumed so I make what my husband and I like to eat. 

I've given Athtart (Astarte) red flowers like roses and that has gone over well.  Nikkal often receives sweet almond oil, fruit, flowers, and honey.  Harvest items from my gardens for Ba'al.  Fresh grapes for Ilu (El).  Candles in yellows, oranges, and reds for Shapash. 

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 29, 2011, 04:18:12 pm »

I haven't really had an oppurtunity to give to the gods as grandly as I would like but I have left oats out for Odin's horse Sleipner, boar-shaped cookies for Freyr, pastries and coffee for Holda.

I do leave frequent offerings for the housewight, though, and he seems to like simple, traditional foods. Nuts, bread and jam, cider, apple slices. Hamburger Helper and Mickey Ds doesn't really seem to be his thing. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:28:27 pm by Star, Reason: Removing link » Logged
Juniperberry
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 29, 2011, 06:53:07 pm »

I haven't really had an oppurtunity to give to the gods as grandly as I would like but I have left oats out for Odin's horse Sleipner, boar-shaped cookies for Freyr, pastries and coffee for Holda.

I do leave frequent offerings for the housewight, though, and he seems to like simple, traditional foods. Nuts, bread and jam, cider, apple slices. Hamburger Helper and Mickey Ds doesn't really seem to be his thing. Smiley

Well. This is just embarrasing. Somehow I added a link to this (that is NOT me) and now I don't have an option to edit it.  Undecided
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:29:07 pm by Star, Reason: Removing link from quote » Logged
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 29, 2011, 07:26:09 pm »

Those sound like interesting offerings, Can I still the ideas? Cheesy
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: January 29, 2011, 07:32:30 pm »

Well. This is just embarrasing. Somehow I added a link to this (that is NOT me) and now I don't have an option to edit it.  Undecided

We have the software set up not to allow editing after...  I think it's half an hour.  This is because we don't want people changing the conversation too much after the fact.  (We only really allow the half-hour so that you can fix typos and so forth, which of course inevitably become obvious only after posting.  Editing to change the content is prohibited by our rules after 2-3 minutes.)  It's a really good idea to preview before posting (or at least look back at your post immediately after) so that you can catch things like this quickly.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Juniperberry
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 29, 2011, 07:50:50 pm »

We have the software set up not to allow editing after...  I think it's half an hour.  This is because we don't want people changing the conversation too much after the fact.  (We only really allow the half-hour so that you can fix typos and so forth, which of course inevitably become obvious only after posting.  Editing to change the content is prohibited by our rules after 2-3 minutes.)  It's a really good idea to preview before posting (or at least look back at your post immediately after) so that you can catch things like this quickly.

Thanks. Smiley *relieved sigh*

Normally I'm pretty good about previewing my posts and then double-checking them after submission but I posted and ran this afternoon...and look where it got me.  Wink

Really appreciate the edit. Thanks again.

Those sound like interesting offerings, Can I still the ideas? Cheesy

Absolutely!
Tezcatlipoca
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 14, 2011, 07:45:17 am

Religion: shaman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 30, 2011, 09:23:40 pm »

Tezcatlipoca likes copal, obsidian, and tobbaco. Quetzalcoatl like feathers, sage, and turquoise. Tonatiu likes opal, rosemary. Huitzilopostli likes spring water, lavender, cedar.

No rest for the wicked...
...Because we party all night.
knitsy
Journeyman
Last Login:January 12, 2012, 09:51:08 am

Religion: I am Me.

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 30, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »

I offer tobacco, water, stones, incense, good food if the cats aren't around...I feel these things are nourishing to the spirit. It is my thanks to the universe.

[also, hi, been gone a long time]

...Maude?

[Warning: Fool]
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 30, 2011, 11:26:02 pm »

Anpu likes just about everything I've offered Him (except beef), but He has a particular inclination toward bread, cold water, chocolate, and black tourmaline. Actually, He just asked for some pita chips I'm eating as I'm typing this.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)