The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 31, 2020, 11:20:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2020, 11:20:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Taking gods with you?  (Read 4008 times)
crocodile
Last Login:November 13, 2011, 12:57:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: disorganized polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 31, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »

(Sorry if this has already been thoroughly answered; I had no idea how to search for this one, and I couldn't find a recent thread with this question.)

I'm getting ready to head off to a university in a few months. This is surprisingly freeing for me spiritually in most aspects; I'm rooming with my best friend, who is an agnostic Stoic with a fondness for Hermes, which leads to many entertaining discussions to say the least. My problem, actually, is one of my deities. I currently worship/work with three deities. One is Hermes, who is just REALLY EXCITED to be traveling to a huge (party) school. Another is a sky goddess, who...doesn't really care that I'm moving because she is, well, in the sky and thus pretty universal.

The third one is the problem. This boy is a harvest god, probably specifically a wheat god. I only know him because I have a mini wheat field in my backyard that he has decided to live in. We have a very strange relationship; I do not know his name or origin, as it has never been important before, but I make offerings to him and watch over his wheat, and he in turns guides me on some very important things. He is extremely land-based and chthonic; he likes food offerings, and he likes them buried in his soil. However, now that I'm moving, I feel that it will be difficult to keep worshiping him. I have no resources whatsoever except UPG, and my university is in a big city with no wheat fields. He has made it clear that he isn't a land spirit tied to my backyard, so he is willing to come with me.

Do you all have any ideas on how to continue worshiping an obscure harvest god who is very much obsessed with his own cycles of death and rebirth? How exactly do you take a land god with you to a new area? I'm going to try and squeeze some information out of him over the next few months, but he is very much the i'd-rather-watch-you-struggle-for-my-own-amusement kind of guy. So far, my only ideas have been to put a bunch of wheat in a box and take it with me, or to keep a pot of soil in my room and...yeah. I don't even know what I'd do with that. He is very patient and can tolerate me simply saying thanks and whatnot, but it is hard to not do physical things for such a physical god. Any thoughts?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SpiralCrone
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 09, 2011, 07:00:56 pm

Religion: Everything and a pinch of pixie dust

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 31, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »

(Sorry if this has already been thoroughly answered; I had no idea how to search for this one, and I couldn't find a recent thread with this question.)

So far, my only ideas have been to put a bunch of wheat in a box and take it with me, or to keep a pot of soil in my room and...yeah. I don't even know what I'd do with that. He is very patient and can tolerate me simply saying thanks and whatnot, but it is hard to not do physical things for such a physical god. Any thoughts?

Are you allowed to have potted plants in your dorm? If so ask him for guidance to a plant in his field or in a nursery you can purchase. I understand the fact that life cycle are very important to him so maybe small pot with some seeds or maybe herbs?  That way there is land and life in your dorm room that is solely for him and you can easily manage to cultivate the plants in his honor. That could be a direction to ask him about.

Blessings!
crocodile
Last Login:November 13, 2011, 12:57:03 pm

Religion: disorganized polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 31, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »

Are you allowed to have potted plants in your dorm? If so ask him for guidance to a plant in his field or in a nursery you can purchase. I understand the fact that life cycle are very important to him so maybe small pot with some seeds or maybe herbs?  That way there is land and life in your dorm room that is solely for him and you can easily manage to cultivate the plants in his honor. That could be a direction to ask him about.

Blessings!

See, I dismissed having a plant in my dorm because I'm about 95% sure my residence hall considers plants some sort of health hazard, but now I can't remember where I saw any guidelines online about them specifically, so I'm not sure. Ideally, I would love to have some sort of plant for him, because that is logical and would make him very happy. I just attempted a futile half-hour search of housing documents and learned nothing except that I can't have a toaster or shelves, but I can have a fish =/. But maybe I can have a plant, since apparently I can receive florist deliveries?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely have to ask about that again! (And if I can have a plant, I'll ask him about it like you said, because I refuse to grow five foot-tall wheat blades next to my bed!)
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 31, 2011, 11:23:48 pm »

See, I dismissed having a plant in my dorm because I'm about 95% sure my residence hall considers plants some sort of health hazard, but now I can't remember where I saw any guidelines online about them specifically, so I'm not sure. Ideally, I would love to have some sort of plant for him, because that is logical and would make him very happy. I just attempted a futile half-hour search of housing documents and learned nothing except that I can't have a toaster or shelves, but I can have a fish =/. But maybe I can have a plant, since apparently I can receive florist deliveries?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely have to ask about that again! (And if I can have a plant, I'll ask him about it like you said, because I refuse to grow five foot-tall wheat blades next to my bed!)

If you can't have a plant in your room you might see if you can bring some soil from his wheat plot and place it outside near your dorm or just keep it near you.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 31, 2011, 11:31:54 pm »

My thought? Harvest some of the wheat seeds and put them in a bottle. Plant some when you get to your dorm. Grow the seeds like a mini wheat field, harvest it, then mix the old seeds with the new. Plant some of the kernels again and repeat. You could even grind some of it for sacred flour, if you were so inclined.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 01, 2011, 10:01:50 am »

The third one is the problem. This boy is a harvest god, probably specifically a wheat god. I only know him because I have a mini wheat field in my backyard that he has decided to live in. We have a very strange relationship; I do not know his name or origin, as it has never been important before, but I make offerings to him and watch over his wheat, and he in turns guides me on some very important things. He is extremely land-based and chthonic; he likes food offerings, and he likes them buried in his soil. However, now that I'm moving, I feel that it will be difficult to keep worshiping him. I have no resources whatsoever except UPG, and my university is in a big city with no wheat fields. He has made it clear that he isn't a land spirit tied to my backyard, so he is willing to come with me.

Do you all have any ideas on how to continue worshiping an obscure harvest god who is very much obsessed with his own cycles of death and rebirth? How exactly do you take a land god with you to a new area? I'm going to try and squeeze some information out of him over the next few months, but he is very much the i'd-rather-watch-you-struggle-for-my-own-amusement kind of guy. So far, my only ideas have been to put a bunch of wheat in a box and take it with me, or to keep a pot of soil in my room and...yeah. I don't even know what I'd do with that. He is very patient and can tolerate me simply saying thanks and whatnot, but it is hard to not do physical things for such a physical god. Any thoughts?
Wheatgrass is basically just young wheat, and can be grown indoors for juicing and human consumption. It's a relatively common plant and shouldn't cause you any problems to have a small pot in your dorm room.

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 01, 2011, 05:01:03 pm »

I'm getting ready to head off to a university in a few months. This is surprisingly freeing for me spiritually in most aspects; I'm rooming with my best friend, who is an agnostic Stoic with a fondness for Hermes, which leads to many entertaining discussions to say the least. My problem, actually, is one of my deities. I currently worship/work with three deities. One is Hermes, who is just REALLY EXCITED to be traveling to a huge (party) school. Another is a sky goddess, who...doesn't really care that I'm moving because she is, well, in the sky and thus pretty universal.

Why not also bury something of yourself in his field, like your hair or some blood or something like that, to connect you to him?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 01, 2011, 05:11:22 pm »

Wheatgrass is basically just young wheat, and can be grown indoors for juicing and human consumption. It's a relatively common plant and shouldn't cause you any problems to have a small pot in your dorm room.

Hmm I thought of this as well but wasn't sure if wheatgrass was actually related to wheat or just given a similar name to make it more familiar to consumers. Either way it may be easier to argue for having a wheatgrass plot in your room vs. an actual potted plant as one could make an argument for wheatgrass being a food.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 01, 2011, 08:25:14 pm »

What about making something similar to a 'witch bottle'? You could find a glass bottle or jar that you're particularly fond of, add some wheat from the field in your backyard (and anything else you think he might like / or that you feel represents him), then seal it up and keep it in your dorm. Maybe light a candle (or use an electric one depending on the rules of the dorm) on occasion to let him know that he's important to you wherever you are. Just a thought... Grin

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu
Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 01, 2011, 11:46:26 pm »

Darkmoondog's list of ways to worship the Wheat/Harvest God-
1.Terrarium.
2. Weave a Brigid's Cross with wheat stalks.
3. Relocate your deity to a fruit bearing tree to care for on campus.
4. Study or volunteer in the biology department.
5. Eat a wheat based token of respect in honor of your deity.
6. Acts of random planting.
7. Keep a fruit or nuts on your altar.
8. Shave your head and wear a wheat woven skirt. ( Just kidding.) Please don't do that.
9. Meditate and wait for inspiration.
10. Have a great going away party at your current wheat field.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 02, 2011, 09:33:07 am »

Do you all have any ideas on how to continue worshiping an obscure harvest god who is very much obsessed with his own cycles of death and rebirth? How exactly do you take a land god with you to a new area?

If he is a deity tied to a particular area, you may not be able to. Some "minor" deities are so tied and all one can do is look for a similar deity in one's new home.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 03, 2011, 05:56:18 am »

If he is a deity tied to a particular area, you may not be able to. Some "minor" deities are so tied and all one can do is look for a similar deity in one's new home.

Or, you'll get a version that is not quite the same as the god from the old place (An example I think for this would be Cailleach, as her demeanor and appearance could or did change depending on the area you found her in. They would be the same, in a lot of ways, but still.. different.).

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)