The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 02:51:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 02:51:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How does one connect with a newly-found god/dess?  (Read 6249 times)
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 08, 2011, 04:43:16 pm »

Not completely on-topic, but I'm beginning to get the feeling of being an orphan looking for the right parents to adopt me... is that a normal feeling to have?

I felt that way, but I don't know if it's normal. Wink

I wound up basically accepting a path (heathenry) that I had had no prior interest in whatsoever. I had an experience that was pretty meaningful and it took me to one god in particular. I did some further research and at that point I realized what I wanted more was to accept my ancestors' culture, values and worldview than wanting to find a personal god/dess. I have a pantheon, but now it's not about finding a patron or someone to work with, as much as it is having a belief about a truth and seeing my world with eyes that appreciate that truth. All the heathen gods are 'my' gods, even if some I don't connect to, some I don't know well, etc. They just inhabit my world...or, better yet, I inhabit their's.

I also think, at some point, it's not about connecting to gods but about connecting to one's self. Much like Nibblekat said. And, like her, I recommend reading and researching and looking. Someday you'll stumble on your own truth. Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LadyVagabond
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 08:53:06 am

Religion: Hm. Still working on that one.

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 08, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »

...and funny enough, I believe the one female deity I was looking for has actually become two separate ones.
In what sense--you thought she was one goddess but it turns out you were conflating two, you were originally trying to find only one but have found two that you connect with, or some thing else?

It takes time. Don't get discouraged. And read! Read lots and lots... and don't trust all sources. Some are just fluff bunny.  Folks like Miranda Green are good to go to for historical info, for example.
Lol, reading is what I am good at! Cheesy I found one site that provided a very good (and amusing) explanation of bunnies (http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/fluffy.shtml) so I think I can keep an eye on that. I've always been pretty good on discerning the crap. I shall look up Miranda Green, thank you for the recommendation.

What kind of deity are you looking for? What qualities would you like to have in them that could help you improve what you have in yourself? 
Hmm... Well, definitely someone patient. I am VERY NEW to pagan philosophy in any meaningful way. I was raised Catholic, and none of the churches I ever went to were very interactive, so I'm actually kind of new to gods in general, at least in the sense of connecting to them. I want someone who I can bounce ideas off of like I would a close friend or mentor, someone who can help me work through my problems without actually spoon-feeding me solutions. As for my own areas for improvement--well, I'm perfect, of course!  Wink I tend to be impatient and a bit judgmental, but I wouldn't have thought those would have any bearing on what god/dess I end up connecting with the best. Well, no, I guess it does make sense.

Anyway, I haven't done much lurking in the Kemetic SIG, but from what I've seen there and from what I remember from being Egypt-obsessed for most of my life, I get the sense that I'm going to end up there. I've been reading up on Bast, and that shows promise.
LadyVagabond
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 08, 2011, 05:04:32 pm »

I wound up basically accepting a path (heathenry) that I had had no prior interest in whatsoever....I have a pantheon, but now it's not about finding a patron or someone to work with, as much as it is having a belief about a truth and seeing my world with eyes that appreciate that truth. All the heathen gods are 'my' gods, even if some I don't connect to, some I don't know well, etc.
Forgive my ignorance, but what precisely is heathenry in this sense? Judging from your profile picture I would presume something Germanic, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I also think, at some point, it's not about connecting to gods but about connecting to one's self.

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if the two different pursuits kind of feed into each other? I would think that, in looking for someone that you actively WANT to worship (rather than just who you were raised with) you would inevitably find out things about yourself. But I think I see what you're saying--go about it the other way around, find out about yourself, and then see what falls into place with that.
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 08, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, but what precisely is heathenry in this sense? Judging from your profile picture I would presume something Germanic, but please correct me if I am wrong.

It's the term for northern European/Germanic paganism. There are different branches; Anglo-Saxon heathenry, Continental Germanic, and Norse/Scandinavian. My interest lies more in the Continental Germanic.

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if the two different pursuits kind of feed into each other? I would think that, in looking for someone that you actively WANT to worship (rather than just who you were raised with) you would inevitably find out things about yourself. But I think I see what you're saying--go about it the other way around, find out about yourself, and then see what falls into place with that.

Yeah, pretty much. Smiley
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 08, 2011, 05:53:50 pm »

In what sense--you thought she was one goddess but it turns out you were conflating two, you were originally trying to find only one but have found two that you connect with, or some thing else?
Lol, reading is what I am good at! Cheesy I found one site that provided a very good (and amusing) explanation of bunnies (http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/fluffy.shtml) so I think I can keep an eye on that. I've always been pretty good on discerning the crap. I shall look up Miranda Green, thank you for the recommendation.
Hmm... Well, definitely someone patient. I am VERY NEW to pagan philosophy in any meaningful way. I was raised Catholic, and none of the churches I ever went to were very interactive, so I'm actually kind of new to gods in general, at least in the sense of connecting to them. I want someone who I can bounce ideas off of like I would a close friend or mentor, someone who can help me work through my problems without actually spoon-feeding me solutions. As for my own areas for improvement--well, I'm perfect, of course!  Wink I tend to be impatient and a bit judgmental, but I wouldn't have thought those would have any bearing on what god/dess I end up connecting with the best. Well, no, I guess it does make sense.

Anyway, I haven't done much lurking in the Kemetic SIG, but from what I've seen there and from what I remember from being Egypt-obsessed for most of my life, I get the sense that I'm going to end up there. I've been reading up on Bast, and that shows promise.

Ah, sorry about that... On a hunt for a single goddess, two cropped up. Two who are not the same goddess, but have very similar traits... and very different personalities. Smiley Both are earth mothers, and healing deities as well... and sky goddesses. One of night, one of the daytime. So, lots of ground covered by two deities who answered when I asked for just one. Smiley

I think that deities respond to our personalities as much as we do to theirs.  A patient deity is probably going to be much better for an impatient person... can you imagine the chaos or frustration that two impatient personalities would create?  Not to mention, if both are impatient, where does the learning come in on your part... nothing to be taught on that front.  

What I'd do is look up goddesses/gods who could perhaps help you not only love the bits about yourself that you already like(make a list of those traits) but also improve on the bits of yourself that you don't like (genuine disliked traits, not... well, not to say YOU are doing it, but... whining. You know, like saying, "Ugh, I'm stupid" when you're really not...).  See the traits in those deities and call out from there.  

For example, not that I think I knew it at the time, but when I was looking for a female deity, I really needed Someone to teach me how to love myself as well as others, how to connect emotionally with people in a way I couldn't before, and in truth... I needed another female presence that wasn't my own mom to love me.  Through that love I learn how to love myself. Loving myself makes me a better devotee to that deity because I can love them better and be of better service to the earth and people around me through the deity.  It sounds horribly cheesy, but true.  It's a good potential structure you can look for in what the goddess/god can offer you... because you're going to give right back to them through their guidance and love.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:56:16 pm by NibbleKat » Logged

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
LadyVagabond
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 08, 2011, 06:10:30 pm »

Ah, sorry about that... On a hunt for a single goddess, two cropped up. Two who are not the same goddess, but have very similar traits... and very different personalities. Smiley Both are earth mothers, and healing deities as well... and sky goddesses. One of night, one of the daytime. So, lots of ground covered by two deities who answered when I asked for just one. Smiley
Just out of curiosity, do you mind if I ask who they are?

I think that deities respond to our personalities as much as we do to theirs.  A patient deity is probably going to be much better for an impatient person... can you imagine the chaos or frustration that two impatient personalities would create?  Not to mention, if both are impatient, where does the learning come in on your part... nothing to be taught on that front.
And one of them with divine proportions of impations? *shudder*

...genuine disliked traits, not... well, not to say YOU are doing it, but... whining.
You're so mean! Stop picking on me! Wah, wah, wah! /sarcasm Tongue

For example, not that I think I knew it at the time, but when I was looking for a female deity, I really needed Someone to teach me how to love myself as well as others, how to connect emotionally with people in a way I couldn't before, and in truth... I needed another female presence that wasn't my own mom to love me.  Through that love I learn how to love myself. Loving myself makes me a better devotee to that deity because I can love them better and be of better service to the earth and people around me through the deity.  It sounds horribly cheesy, but true.  It's a good potential structure you can look for in what the goddess/god can offer you... because you're going to give right back to them through their guidance and love.
Actually, I don't think it sounds cheesy at all. That's pretty much the kind of relationship that I want to end up with.
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 08, 2011, 06:41:06 pm »

Just out of curiosity, do you mind if I ask who they are?

Actually, I don't think it sounds cheesy at all. That's pretty much the kind of relationship that I want to end up with.

I don't mind. Sirona, a continental Gallic/Celtic goddess, and Sequana, the dame, but more tutelary in that she's goddess of the source of the Seine.  Smiley

Sirona seems more stoic and strict (but not in a scary sense), and Sequana seems very loving, very mothering.  Both are earth mothers, really, and their scope extends beyond being JUST healing goddesses. Fertility, creativity (in some ways) rejuvenation and like I said, both sky goddesses... their roles being different since one's a solar and the other a lunar/night/star deity. Smiley

Maybe you should look at mother goddess types? (Fertility goddess can work for that, too... and heck, since I'm biased and partial, river goddesses. Heheheh.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:47:51 pm by NibbleKat » Logged

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
LadyVagabond
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 08, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »

Maybe you should look at mother goddess types? (Fertility goddess can work for that, too... and heck, since I'm biased and partial, river goddesses. Heheheh.)

I think I will. (One of the things that I've read about Bast is that she was frequently depicted with kittens, and was in later times associated with mothers and children.) From what I understand, a lot of river goddesses are also associated with motherhood/fertility and vice-versa, yes?
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 08, 2011, 07:41:18 pm »

I think I will. (One of the things that I've read about Bast is that she was frequently depicted with kittens, and was in later times associated with mothers and children.) From what I understand, a lot of river goddesses are also associated with motherhood/fertility and vice-versa, yes?

I know the Celtic ones are, at least. And finding a pantheon/culture you like can help, too. You don't have to necessarily worship the whole pantheon if you don't feel called to do it, but it can give you a general overview of HOW to worship said god/dess.  Oh, and also, be aware of symbolism... you have to do a lot of research on that, too, and read between the lines with some stuff.  For example, Sirona's sometimes depicted with a dog.  Most websites will mention that the dog symbolizes healing... but further research dug up Otherworld/death/dying connections as well as potential womb/creation connections (help with menstrual cycle pain... er... well. Long story that doesn't need to be long..) just know that you have to infer a lot of stuff to understand, too. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:44:37 pm by NibbleKat » Logged

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 09, 2011, 01:55:18 pm »

I think I will. (One of the things that I've read about Bast is that she was frequently depicted with kittens, and was in later times associated with mothers and children.) ...
While Bast does indeed have that protective mothering aspect, keep in mind that She is a Solar goddess and one of the Goddesses identified as an "Eye of Re".  She is both nurturer and avenger in one package.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 09, 2011, 02:35:52 pm »

While Bast does indeed have that protective mothering aspect, keep in mind that She is a Solar goddess and one of the Goddesses identified as an "Eye of Re".  She is both nurturer and avenger in one package.

..that just made me imagine a giant kitty in the sky, swatting the hell out of something teensy below. You know, like an army. heheheheh.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
LadyVagabond
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 09, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »

I DEFINITELY will. I really, really don't want a goddess pissed off at me. But (and maybe it's just me) I kind of get the sense that if she is pissed off, there is a good reason behind it. From what I've read (granted--not much) the Eyes of Ra were primarily concerned with ensuring justice be done, rather than using divine avenger-ness to take care of things that annoyed them personally. Again, though, please correct me if I am wrong.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 02, 2011, 11:17:26 pm »

I DEFINITELY will. I really, really don't want a goddess pissed off at me. But (and maybe it's just me) I kind of get the sense that if she is pissed off, there is a good reason behind it. From what I've read (granted--not much) the Eyes of Ra were primarily concerned with ensuring justice be done, rather than using divine avenger-ness to take care of things that annoyed them personally. Again, though, please correct me if I am wrong.

If you are interested here is an excellent website on Bast:  http://www.per-bast.org/

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 04, 2011, 03:09:57 pm »

Also, books.google.com is a great search engine-- it's like going to the library without doing the footwork.

*runs in really late*

OMG nibblekat! how'd I not ever know about the google book search!?
it's the awesome!
thanks for posting that linky,I spent forever last night reading book bits. DER!

NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 04, 2011, 03:44:07 pm »

*runs in really late*

OMG nibblekat! how'd I not ever know about the google book search!?
it's the awesome!
thanks for posting that linky,I spent forever last night reading book bits. DER!

You're welcome. I absolutely love google books, so I try to spread it around like mayo.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)