The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 08:26:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 08:26:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 26480 times)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 06, 2007, 07:28:53 pm »

Star posted this
I don't know if "projects" is really the word I want here...  I know that many people here actively work on their religious development, either through exploring ideas and beliefs or by doing research or by developing or integrating new practices.  Or of course, less comfortably, through grappling with difficult questions.  I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's doing.  What issues are you confronting in your spiritual and/or religious journey?  What things are you working on or learning more about?
and it got me thinking, as a teens we are going through a point in our lives when we supposedly are most very open to learning new things, and are very exploratory. So what "projects" are you focusing on?

I am currently focusing on meditation methods and will be making some prayer beads as soon as I can get the necessary beads etc. so I can try some meditation using those.

I feel a bit silly posting all the threads in here  Embarrassed , but the new forum looks so empty! And I keep seeing stuff that would fit so well in this folder. So here goes another thread.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Rachel
Last Login:April 28, 2008, 09:19:28 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 08, 2007, 08:18:55 pm »

don't feel silly! someone's gotta get it going.

i'm not really working on any projects right now, it's more research.  i thought i had figured everything out but, big surprise, i've gotta go back and do revisions.
Feisty Dreamer
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2007, 07:36:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: I'll let you know when I do

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 08, 2007, 09:00:42 pm »

At the moment (it's just coming up to end of year exams here) my religious projects have sort of gotten buried under a huge and terrifying pile of work I have regretfully left, of course, to the last possible minute.

However, some ongoing projects are tackling the hugeness that is Burkhart’s Greek Religion, working on maintaining a regular and focused meditation practice in hopes of receiving some divine guidance about what the heck I should be doing (proving to be tricky) and what I call my "general spiritual trawling" which consists of lots of web surfing, reading various pieces on the Sacred Text site and wikapediaing to learn basics about many topics, religious/historical/mythological etc. At the moment, there's a lot of researching going on about Hellenic practices and beliefs and Dionysos in particular. 

Why is there never, ever, enough time?  Undecided

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell  - Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.
- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 08, 2007, 09:06:43 pm »

Why is there never, ever, enough time?  Undecided

Because, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your outlook), we are limited to a measly 24 hour day.

Phouka
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 09, 2007, 12:00:41 am »

Finals are just around the corner, so my projects are all on hold for a while Smiley.  I recently finished a Mandala in honor of Taoism.   And a small collage representing Gaia as a goddess.  I also have a just-started traditional hooked rug of a Tunis sheep.  Not religious I know, but I am hoping to do religious hooked rugs once I get the hang of the technique.  My last project is still in the planning stage.  I really, really want to create some strings of prayer beads.  I would like a set for each of these three subjects: peace, the seasons, and the moon phases.  I plan to do one for the moon phases first using pearl, white, silver, and black beads.
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 09, 2007, 07:12:57 am »

i'm not really working on any projects right now, it's more research.  i thought i had figured everything out but, big surprise, i've gotta go back and do revisions.

Research counts. I am also doing some research on the Celtic influences on Christianity and on geometric patterns in religious art. Very different subjects I know, but I don't have much time with all my school work so I try to fit in my research into papers that I have to do anyway  Wink . It is amazing how much research you can do and still not know anywhere near everything on a subject.

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 09, 2007, 07:18:22 am »

However, some ongoing projects are ... working on maintaining a regular and focused meditation practice in hopes of receiving some divine guidance about what the heck I should be doing (proving to be tricky)

I love working with meditation. As already mentioned that is my current project. It is also a theme to my projects that keeps coming up. What meditation style do you use? I am continually trying to find methods I haven't tried (and there are many). I would love to know about yours if it is not something you feel it overly private (if it is please ignore me).

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 09, 2007, 07:19:33 am »

I really, really want to create some strings of prayer beads.  I would like a set for each of these three subjects: peace, the seasons, and the moon phases.  I plan to do one for the moon phases first using pearl, white, silver, and black beads.

They sound beautiful!

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 09, 2007, 11:27:50 pm »

Research counts. I am also doing some research on the Celtic influences on Christianity and on geometric patterns in religious art. Very different subjects I know, but I don't have much time with all my school work so I try to fit in my research into papers that I have to do anyway  Wink . It is amazing how much research you can do and still not know anywhere near everything on a subject.

Yep yep, I'm sort of merging my spiritual/occult interests with school stuff. There are two projects due in August: one's a Lit paper on shamanic influences in Plath's poetry, and the other is a study on whether myths constitute knowledge. So yay, I get to read on shamanism and myths for school.  Grin

I'm posting in the Teen folder while I still can. Next year I'll be 20, and that's like, ANCIENT!

*looks at other members' profiles*

Whoops. I meant, er, ASIAN. Yes, I'll be a 20 year-old ASIAN. Eheheh.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 10, 2007, 08:44:53 am »

I'm posting in the Teen folder while I still can. Next year I'll be 20, and that's like, ANCIENT!

If 20 is ancient, I don't want to know what I am. I turn 50 this year.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: March 10, 2007, 08:47:07 am »

Hey, you're still younger than my parents...  slightly.  Grin  *runs away very fast*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
stmbringer
Apprentice
Last Login:December 08, 2009, 07:27:30 am

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 10, 2007, 10:34:18 am »

You can become an official member of an "Over the Hill" gang!  Wink  I just became eligible a little bit ago  Cry

Mike

“One's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything.”
--- Georg C. Lichtenberg
Nightlord
Last Login:April 16, 2007, 03:57:09 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 10, 2007, 01:08:07 pm »

Projects, eh?

Most of them are now (more or less) buried under a mountain of high school-work, but I am planning to resume working on them as soon as I can find time.

First off, I'm trying to start my ritual workings again. Lack of space and the all-important privacy have seriously hindered the practical part of my religious life. LBRP and simple rituals for the full moon-festivities might be in order.

Research is something I do all the time. Recently I've been reading Aleister Crowley's works, for tips and guidance. I can recommend "Magick Without Tears" from the bottom of my heart: the letters therein have helped me greatly. Liber Al Vel Legis works too, as do the other Thelemic Holy Books. You don't have to be a Thelemite to benefit from his writings!

BB

Nightlord

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:11:27 pm by Nightlord » Logged
Feisty Dreamer
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2007, 07:36:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: I'll let you know when I do

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 10, 2007, 01:17:47 pm »

No problem, meditation is actually one of the more public practices I do (partially because frequent interruptions from the housemates Roll Eyes). At the moment I'm trying out several methods to see which works best for me.

My most reliable method is walking meditation, which I've been doing for years (even before I ever heard it was an actual practiced method). Originally it started from walking the dog, though now I usually go alone.

Basically I walk around a quite neighbourhood, usually late at night to avoid running into other people, and easily enter a very relaxing and calming meditative state (and get exercise in the bargain too! Smiley). Just the combination of the regular motion, the quiet but not totally silent atmosphere and the fresh air seem to basically turn my brain off (in a good way) and I often return from a 2 hour walk feeling like it’s only been a few minutes.

I've also been working with more traditional sitting meditation, not with any set structure really, just a comfy cushion to keep my butt from going numb, dim the lights, set up a candle and sometimes some incense and just try to quiet my mind. Which unfortunately is very difficult, I definitely have the "monkey mind" syndrome and so far I've only had intermittent good results with this method.

I’ve also tried a sort of unusual moving meditation, sometimes when I’m sitting meditating I have this urge to sway my upper body randomly (I avoid thinking about what I must look like when I do this Cheesy) and a few times I’ve found myself softly chanting what are basically nonsense words in time with the swaying. Not sure what’s going on there, but it seems to help with the monkey mind thing, I think I just struggle with the sitting still thing.

That’s pretty much my experiments with meditation, I also have a nice set of prayer beads I made that I use occasionally; I suggest it as a method to anyone who might do well with repetitively saying short mantras.

And that post turned out way longer then I expected, I think I have a talking-about-myself problem.. Embarrassed

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell   - Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.
- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 10, 2007, 04:42:30 pm »

I've also been working with more traditional sitting meditation, not with any set structure really, just a comfy cushion to keep my butt from going numb, dim the lights, set up a candle and sometimes some incense and just try to quiet my mind. Which unfortunately is very difficult, I definitely have the "monkey mind" syndrome and so far I've only had intermittent good results with this method.

This is what I do best with, my forays into moving meditation have offered some interesting results but not the clarity that I get with sitting meditation. I guess it just really depends on who you are as to what suits you best.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)