The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 09:18:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 09:18:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 26482 times)
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm
United States United States

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #75: August 21, 2007, 01:58:51 pm »

So what "projects" are you focusing on?

Erm, I just redid my altar, and it looks ten times better.
And, urm, I'm not feeling Wiccan lately.
Maybe it's just the fact that in the original sense (BTW) I'm not wiccan, and also, I feel too eclectic for it.
I mean, eclectic wicca is fine, but...
I just think plain old "Pagan" is fine.  It gives me a head ache trying to fit myself in a box that doesn't fit me.  I had this problem with Recon.  I'm way too into too many cultures/religions to be tied down to just one.  There a lot of aspects of Wicca that I like, but I hate the idea of piking and choosing and calling it by the same name, so I wont do that.
It was good to get that off my chest.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #76: August 23, 2007, 06:14:15 pm »

My newest project is developing my philosophies and beliefs because i've finally gotten enough courage to move away from wicca and go off on my own. i'm so proud of myself. *puffs out chest*

i'm also trying to get my herb garden going because i like the idea of being hedgewitchy.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #77: August 23, 2007, 06:30:57 pm »

My newest project is developing my philosophies and beliefs because I've finally gotten enough courage to move away from wicca and go off on my own. I'm so proud of myself. *puffs out chest*

I'm also trying to get my herb garden going because i like the idea of being hedgewitchy.

Cheesy I am also working on my philosophies and beliefs, and trying to get up the courage to deviate from my usual path. Since I left Wicca I have been forming my own path and enjoying being eclectic. Now I have suddenly come across a path that already exists that fits me as perfectly as I could hope. However, I am struggling to get up the courage to jump from the safe path of defining my own religion to something so different from what I am used to. I just went to the library and checked out three books on Taoism and I feel that hopefully, while reading them, I will get some more of an insight into where I want to be going. So reading up on Taoism is generally what I am working on at the moment.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #78: August 23, 2007, 07:52:16 pm »

Cheesy I am also working on my philosophies and beliefs, and trying to get up the courage to deviate from my usual path. Since I left Wicca I have been forming my own path and enjoying being eclectic. Now I have suddenly come across a path that already exists that fits me as perfectly as I could hope. However, I am struggling to get up the courage to jump from the safe path of defining my own religion to something so different from what I am used to. I just went to the library and checked out three books on Taoism and I feel that hopefully, while reading them, I will get some more of an insight into where I want to be going. So reading up on Taoism is generally what I am working on at the moment.

What exactly is taoism? i've heard of it, but i have no idea.

Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #79: August 23, 2007, 09:28:09 pm »

My newest project is developing my philosophies and beliefs because i've finally gotten enough courage to move away from wicca and go off on my own. i'm so proud of myself. *puffs out chest*

i'm also trying to get my herb garden going because i like the idea of being hedgewitchy.

I don't think my problem had to do with courage, because before wicca, I was into recon.  I think it was the fact that I wanted to be more into a box and tied down to something, but I didn't fit into anything. 

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #80: August 23, 2007, 09:37:34 pm »

I don't think my problem had to do with courage, because before wicca, I was into recon.  I think it was the fact that I wanted to be more into a box and tied down to something, but I didn't fit into anything. 
the fitting in thing was definately an issue, but i've stopped believing in the importance of religious structure, and that's mainly why i've moved on. i'm not making my own path, really, because my religion isn't really a path. it just is. that doesn't mean, i'm not making progress in figuring out what i believe, the meaning to everything, it's just that my religion doesn't have a goal, like, i'm not *trying* to get closer to god, or nature, or equilibrium...does that make sense?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #81: August 23, 2007, 09:41:04 pm »

What exactly is taoism? i've heard of it, but i have no idea.

Here's a nice intro article on Taoism:

Hansen, Chad, "Taoism", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy  (Fall 2007 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL = http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/taoism/

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #82: August 23, 2007, 09:47:22 pm »

Here's a nice intro article on Taoism:

Hansen, Chad, "Taoism", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy  (Fall 2007 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL = http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/taoism/

thanks, and also thanks for the article on time and QM. both are very interesting, though I'm not sure i get daoism.

Underwater Thing
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #83: August 23, 2007, 09:53:38 pm »

the fitting in thing was definately an issue, but i've stopped believing in the importance of religious structure, and that's mainly why i've moved on. i'm not making my own path, really, because my religion isn't really a path. it just is. that doesn't mean, i'm not making progress in figuring out what i believe, the meaning to everything, it's just that my religion doesn't have a goal, like, i'm not *trying* to get closer to god, or nature, or equilibrium...does that make sense?

I think religious structure is important to a lot of people, so I think it's important, in general.  I like to add structure to my own path, even though, I'm the only one practicing it.  I don't view "path=tradition." as, you seem to be implying.  I think a path is something one person follows, sort of like a journey, I suppose. 

Anyways, even for myself, who isn't following a tradition, I do believe I need structure for myself.

in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #84: August 23, 2007, 09:55:33 pm »

thanks, and also thanks for the article on time and QM. both are very interesting, though I'm not sure i get daoism.

Don't worry.  I've never been sure I "got" Taoism either.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #85: August 23, 2007, 10:05:35 pm »

What exactly is Taoism? I've heard of it, but i have no idea.

Randall's article answers your question rather well, but for a synopsis, hopefully understandable.

Taoism is belief in the Tao which literally translated means the path or the way, but is generally seen as the divine force which nurtures but without the taking of credit kind of thing that comes along with most deities. The Tao is more a force than a conscious entity. Taoism has three core values, loosely translated as compassion, moderation and humility. Taoism developed in China and the text referred to by most Taoists is the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu, written approxamitely 200 B.C. (the date is debatable, as is the author for that matter, and the authenticity of the text). If you want to understand Taoism I recommend reading that, its not very long and there is an online version here, http://www.taoism.net/enter.htm. To be honest I am not much qualified to answer your question as I am in the research phase myself! Sorry those Taoists on this board if I butchered the synopsis Undecided .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:07:35 pm by Kasmira, Reason: fix up » Logged

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #86: August 23, 2007, 10:11:23 pm »

Don't worry.  I've never been sure I "got" Taoism either.

I seem to get it, I am more worried about the idea I may be moulding it to suit me. The Tao Te Ching is an incredibly ambiguous piece of work and it is technically possible to interpret in pretty much any direction... well perhaps not quite any. In fact to say I get it is a bit much, after contemplating it line by line for inordinate amounts of time I begin to formulate a concept of what It might be.

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #87: August 23, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »

Randall's article answers your question rather well, but for a synopsis, hopefully understandable.

Taoism is belief in the Tao which literally translated means the path or the way, but is generally seen as the divine force which nurtures but without the taking of credit kind of thing that comes along with most deities. The Tao is more a force than a conscious entity.

that actually sounds promising. i'll add it to the list of things i need to research.

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #88: August 23, 2007, 10:21:31 pm »

that actually sounds promising. i'll add it to the list of things i need to research.

Have a look at this http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=2456.0 thread, some folks gave me some good ideas for reading. I am also reading Taoism - The Parting of the Way by Holmes Welch, I rather like it so far.

Rhiannon.AI
Last Login:September 28, 2007, 05:09:14 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #89: September 28, 2007, 04:53:16 pm »

Star posted this  and it got me thinking, as a teens we are going through a point in our lives when we supposedly are most very open to learning new things, and are very exploratory. So what "projects" are you focusing on?

I am currently focusing on meditation methods and will be making some prayer beads as soon as I can get the necessary beads etc. so I can try some meditation using those.

I feel a bit silly posting all the threads in here  Embarrassed , but the new forum looks so empty! And I keep seeing stuff that would fit so well in this folder. So here goes another thread.
I'm researching and doing a lot of reading. I've found that my path of choice, Wicca, isn't all about taking notes. Sometimes you've just gotta read, comprehend, and try to apply it to your life. I'm really anal about taking notes about EVERYTHING, so I'm trying to break that habit so I can explore other ways to learn about Wicca.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)