The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 23, 2021, 10:27:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2021, 10:27:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Transportation? Portability? Daily Moving? Oh my!  (Read 4590 times)
Ellerexatron
Last Login:February 07, 2011, 10:59:19 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic Something or Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 06, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »

I have a bit of a question that 1) somewhat borders on other posts I've read and 2) seems to fit best here because it has to do with college roommates. So here I go.

I have read the big discussion on the Kemet SIG on "opening of the mouth". Loooooong story short, I want to start practicing to see if I'm ready for a huge religious commitment (because even if I'm not, at the end I'll still be closer to my friendly Goddess). This however, requires a daily rite.

And that's the problem.

I regularly sleep at about 3 different locations (my place, my boyfriend's, and my friend's) because I'm trying to escape my actual roommates. So I need a set-up that is conducive to this university student's busy life. I need a plan where I can find a way to worship every morning that doesn't have my good friend Bast upset with me for toting her around in a backpack all day (because I never know where I might end up at the end of the day--and I only go to where my permanent altar is under extreme duress).

I think this would be best for both Her and me, but I want to be sensible and polite about it and I just don't have any ideas on this. (I didn't mean for this to be so Kemet themed.....just basic college portability themed). Help?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 06, 2011, 03:11:29 pm »

I have a bit of a question that 1) somewhat borders on other posts I've read and 2) seems to fit best here because it has to do with college roommates.

As an outsider I have to say it sound like your situation would be radically improved by a change in roommates. Is this at all feasible?

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 06, 2011, 03:44:30 pm »

First of all - talk to housing.  If your roommate situation is that bad, they can hopefully help somewhat!  (I've worked in uni housing - that sort of thing happens all the time).

Second - can you do a mini-shrine that fits in a small box?  you could put padding in so the statue/figure/whatnot doesn't rattle around.  I think that would be respectful, though I'm not Kemetic, so I'm not familiar with any specific requirements.

(also, given that you're in uni and your life is in flux right now, I'd REALLY put off any statue-opening rituals.  Your life is GOING to be chaotic for a while.  Even if you get the roommate thing fixed, it'll still be chaotic.  Believe it or not, you really do have time!)

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 07, 2011, 01:20:47 am »

I have a bit of a question that 1) somewhat borders on other posts I've read and 2) seems to fit best here because it has to do with college roommates. So here I go.

I have read the big discussion on the Kemet SIG on "opening of the mouth". Loooooong story short, I want to start practicing to see if I'm ready for a huge religious commitment (because even if I'm not, at the end I'll still be closer to my friendly Goddess). This however, requires a daily rite.

And that's the problem.

I regularly sleep at about 3 different locations (my place, my boyfriend's, and my friend's) because I'm trying to escape my actual roommates. So I need a set-up that is conducive to this university student's busy life. I need a plan where I can find a way to worship every morning that doesn't have my good friend Bast upset with me for toting her around in a backpack all day (because I never know where I might end up at the end of the day--and I only go to where my permanent altar is under extreme duress).

First of all, as others have said, talk to housing. I had a crazy-fundie roommate who hated me during my only semester living on campus; after a couple of weeks living together, we were able to talk the housing director (who firmly subscribed to the "nail that sticks up must be hammered down" philosophy and hated me) into moving the roommate into another room. Hence I ended up with a single room.

Second, I would NOT open a statue while your personal life is so disorderly. From what you're saying, it doesn't sound like you have the structure in your personal life to be ready for an open statue, and it wouldn't be fair to you or to your goddess.

Thirdly, would a 3D pendant of Bast do as a portable object of worship? That way you could carry her with you without her being bounced around in a backpack all day.

Ellerexatron
Last Login:February 07, 2011, 10:59:19 am

Religion: Eclectic Kemetic Something or Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 07, 2011, 10:59:19 am »

Second, I would NOT open a statue while your personal life is so disorderly

Oh god NO! I was never planning to do that RIGHT NOW. Nonononononono! I just wanted to get a feel for what might be required....and get a little closer to Bast since I think I sorta need a little help currently. As far as my roommates go...it's not possible for me to leave to situation for another three months. I've looked at it every which way.

I like the box idea....but the necklace seems more feasible to me. Hmmmm....regardless, I can't start anything at this particular for a variety of reasons (my roommates not excluded). So no worries there.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Mesquite
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2011, 12:33:24 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 20, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »

Second - can you do a mini-shrine that fits in a small box?  you could put padding in so the statue/figure/whatnot doesn't rattle around.  I think that would be respectful, though I'm not Kemetic, so I'm not familiar with any specific requirements.

Putting together a small altar kit sounds like a good idea.

Ellerexatron-

Have you thought about asking your boyfriend or your friend if you can keep some things there?  None of you guys probably have unlimited space, but something small - especially if it's not easily transportable, for instance if you have any fragile statuary.

Also, jewelry in general, I've found to be useful when I'm moving around.  Having a piece of jewelry that represents the god/esses you have a connection to is no less "valid" than a large statue if the sense of connection is there.

And I hope your roommate situation gets worked out.

erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 20, 2011, 01:36:05 pm »

Altoid's tin. Seriously.

You can paint the outside or not, but its small, easily secretable, and can hold just enough. For example, you can make a small folding triptych out of stiff cardstock that fits in the tin. Either collage or just find a single image that resonates for you and paste it on the triptych. If you don't carry a lighter, add a small book of matches. If you like incense and have incense-friendly people around you, look for the japanese incense that is stickless, and carefully break them into tin-sized pieces. The boxes of japanese incense normally come with a teensy-tiny stick holder. Put that in the tin too. When you burn the incense (if you haven't painted the tin, of course) you can set the holder on top of the tin, since the japanese kind burns all the way down. If you feel the need to, add a small altar-cloth in the tin, which can be used to pad everything, prevent rattling and breakage, and be a swatch of portable sacred space to set up the mini-altar on.

If you need some other ideas, I have a few more Smiley

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Mesquite
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2011, 12:33:24 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 20, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »

Altoid's tin. Seriously.

Good idea!

Most metals will tarnish if they come into contact with the metal of the altoid's tin, so if there's anything metal, then wrapping it in cloth is a good idea.

sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 20, 2011, 01:47:55 pm »

Altoid's tin. Seriously.

You can paint the outside or not, but its small, easily secretable, and can hold just enough. For example, you can make a small folding triptych out of stiff cardstock that fits in the tin. Either collage or just find a single image that resonates for you and paste it on the triptych. If you don't carry a lighter, add a small book of matches. If you like incense and have incense-friendly people around you, look for the japanese incense that is stickless, and carefully break them into tin-sized pieces. The boxes of japanese incense normally come with a teensy-tiny stick holder. Put that in the tin too. When you burn the incense (if you haven't painted the tin, of course) you can set the holder on top of the tin, since the japanese kind burns all the way down. If you feel the need to, add a small altar-cloth in the tin, which can be used to pad everything, prevent rattling and breakage, and be a swatch of portable sacred space to set up the mini-altar on.

If you need some other ideas, I have a few more Smiley

Not the OP but I have to say...I LOVE this idea. My job has changed slightly and a portable mini-shrine seems like a great idea. I'm off to find an Altoid's tin! Grin

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 21, 2011, 01:59:41 am »

Not the OP but I have to say...I LOVE this idea. My job has changed slightly and a portable mini-shrine seems like a great idea. I'm off to find an Altoid's tin! Grin

Any small tin or package works for this kind of thing. An old makeup compact can work, even, though it would have to be a minimalist setup. As long as it fits in the container, you can have anything from mini statues to vials of holy oil.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)