The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2020, 03:27:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 03:27:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Crystal Bible  (Read 15239 times) Average Rating: 0
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: February 10, 2011, 05:20:28 pm »

Title: The Crystal Bible
Author(s): Judy Hall
Publisher: Walking Stick Press
Publication Date: May 2003
ISBN: 1582972400
ISBN-13: 978-1582972404
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

Description:
Beautifully illustrated, The Crystal Bible offers a comprehensive guide to crystals, their shapes, colors and applications. With informative descriptions and an easy-to-use format, it is an indispensable practical handbook for crystal lovers and users everywhere - both beginner and expert alike.

The book's directory format and beautiful, full-color photos ensure that the crystals are easily identifiable. Descriptions, which accompany each of the crystals, provide all the information on their appearance, worldwide distribution, attributes, actions and healing properties. All the major and less known stones currently available are contained inside, including those only recently discovered. A comprehensive index cross-referencing crystals to applications, aliments and conditions make this book a vital reference for all crystal users.

Judy Hall has been using her extensive collection of crystals in her healing and divination work for almost thirty years. She has written 18 books, including the best-selling Illustrated Guide to Crystals, The Crystal User's Handbook, The Illustrated Guide to Astrology, The Zodiac Pack and The Art of Psychic Protection. She lives in Edmondsham, England.

Special Notes:
none

Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron.

Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Shadoworker
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 12:53:48 am

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 10, 2011, 09:19:55 pm »

I have this book. It contains a lot of information regarding chakras and medicinal information. But it contains very little information on magical lore. For example, if you are looking for stone that help you with your kidney, or back problems then this is the book for you. But if what your are looking for is a book for stone to attract wealth and love, then you are better buying another one. Don't take me wrong. The book touches on things such as astral traveling and psychic work. Check it out before you buy it.
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 11, 2011, 02:59:22 am »

I have this book. It contains a lot of information regarding chakras and medicinal information. But it contains very little information on magical lore. For example, if you are looking for stone that help you with your kidney, or back problems then this is the book for you. But if what your are looking for is a book for stone to attract wealth and love, then you are better buying another one.

Agreed.  It's a handy reference, but that's about it.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 11, 2011, 09:46:07 am »

I was really disappointed when I bought the book. The size of the book threw me off, entirely. I was expecting a regular sized book, but instead, I got something that's about the size of one of my son's cardboard children's books. It didn't have the information that I found helpful in my Cunningham version of this book. It had more to do with chakras and metaphysical than just a simple: here are stones that will help you and here are ones that won't. I really don't like that every entry I've read has some little asterik next to something. The only thing that I found really beneficial was the discussion about cleansing and charging stones. That's about it, though.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 15, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »

But if what your are looking for is a book for stone to attract wealth and love, then you are better buying another one.

I think the book touches on those topics, but because the book covers such a wide array of topics, it does not go into the depths some readers may be seeking.  I think it's a great intro book for that reason.

I really don't like that every entry I've read has some little asterik next to something.

The asterisk means that term can be found in the glossary in the back of the book.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 15, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

I have this book.  I like it, but someone had warned me to be careful with it, the info was pretty good, but there were several stones mis-represented, meaning she had pictures of one stone and it was actually a differant one.  So I was told to double check to make sure the pictured stone is correct.  I don't have the book with me at the moment or I would give an example of the stones I was talking about.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 16, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

The asterisk means that term can be found in the glossary in the back of the book.

No, I understood that part. It's rather irritating that in EVERY entry I have to shoot to the glossary to figure out what the heck she's talking about.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: February 16, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »

I think this is the book I have from her.
First I need to say, that Judy Hall is not a very known author in Germany.

When it comes to rocks and stones (well, crystals Wink) the names to refer to are Ginger, Holst, Kühni.

The book is nice, but in comparison to one of the above mentioned authors it almost seems fluffy.
The information about the stones themselves are scary superficial.

If the author lists under the appearance of the crystal things like: small, big, sometimes tumbled, I have to ask WTF?

I expect a at least somewhat scientific information about the origin and the composition of the crystal in question.

The book is a nice addition, but I rely on the books of Ginger for mineralogical information and the book of Kühni and Holst for a good collection (they even mention Melody, who is as far as I understand a very known author in the US) of effects.

(BTW, I do not expect magical information from a book about Healing Crystals - tho' those areas overlap sometimes, for magical stuff, I'd look into a magic book.)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 16, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »

No, I understood that part. It's rather irritating that in EVERY entry I have to shoot to the glossary to figure out what the heck she's talking about.

Ah, I see.  I'm already familiar with most of those terms so it hasn't been so annoying for me.  I do think she could have just asterisked each term just once though, after that it's just redundant!

The book is a nice addition, but I rely on the books of Ginger for mineralogical information and the book of Kühni and Holst for a good collection (they even mention Melody, who is as far as I understand a very known author in the US) of effects.

I searched Amazon for Kühni and Holst but didn't come up with anything.  Do you by chance have a link?
I've heard good things about Melody too.  That's next on my shopping list.  Smiley
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 16, 2011, 06:23:25 pm »

I've heard good things about Melody too.  That's next on my shopping list.  Smiley

Melody's book is OK, but has NO pictures, which I find supremely annoying.  (I think there is a second book that has the pics.)  It also does not provide much scientific info about the stones it discusses -- like hardness, crystal structure, etc.  I know a lot of people use it, but it's definitely not my favorite.

The other problem I have with Melody's book -- and others, too -- is that my experiences with a lot of the stones are very different from what she describes.  This just illustrates the point that people react to stones (and vice versa) differently.  So what works for one person might not work for another.

The book I've found that is most in line with my own experiences with and reactions to stones is The Book of Stones (by Simmons and Ahsian).  That annoys me too, though, because I don't like the website that is associated with the book.  It's one of the sites that promotes "Azeztulite" (which is a trademark name for a very common quartz).  I *think* this company is the one that started the Azeztulite scam, but I'm not sure.  They're definitely perpetuating it.  Which, I guess, just goes to show that it's important for anyone who works with stones to have some understanding of geology.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 17, 2011, 05:53:59 am »

The book I've found that is most in line with my own experiences with and reactions to stones is The Book of Stones (by Simmons and Ahsian).  That annoys me too, though, because I don't like the website that is associated with the book.  It's one of the sites that promotes "Azeztulite" (which is a trademark name for a very common quartz).  I *think* this company is the one that started the Azeztulite scam, but I'm not sure.  They're definitely perpetuating it.  Which, I guess, just goes to show that it's important for anyone who works with stones to have some understanding of geology.
Argh, argh, argh, argh!!!!!!  I don't mind "lab rocks", whether syntheses of existing stones or new creations (though I get irked by the hype and retconning that often surrounds the new composites), but coming up with and trademarking a name so you can pretend a common stone is something more unique is... well, a scam, as you and Wiki said.  <spits>

I'm with you 110% about the importance of having some understanding of the geology - the extra 10% is because I rely more on what any particular rock says about itself than on what traditional metaphysical associations say, so for me the geological info is the way to know more than what the rock says.  (Rocks can say, "this is the kind of work I can do/like doing," even if it doesn't match tradition, but I've yet to meet one that can tell me its chemical composition.)  But even aside from that, I'm a huge fan of knowing the science and scholarship of things (from the utility to astrologers of knowing their astronomy, to learning what the historical/archaeological record says about the deities one works with).  Metaphysics without physics is mental cotton-candy, and leaves one wide open to con games.

(Oops, that was ranty - I shoulda known I'd end up there, when I started with four arghs and six exclamation points.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: February 17, 2011, 07:35:41 am »

I searched Amazon for Kühni and Holst but didn't come up with anything.  Do you by chance have a link?

Well, they are German authors... so I am not sure how much of their work is available in English.
I know that Gienger is.

Quick Amazon.de/com check says no Kühni/Holst, but here are the results for Gienger.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gienger&x=0&y=0

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 17, 2011, 10:26:43 am »

Well boo, is there a single great book on crystals out there??  I thought about buying The Book Of Stones, but didn't because of the trademarked BS they promote.

Well, they are German authors... so I am not sure how much of their work is available in English.
I know that Gienger is.

Quick Amazon.de/com check says no Kühni/Holst, but here are the results for Gienger.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gienger&x=0&y=0

Wish I had kept up with my German studies... 4 years of study, but 14 years later I can barely remember any of it! Wink

Thank you for the link. Smiley
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 17, 2011, 01:09:41 pm »

Wish I had kept up with my German studies... 4 years of study, but 14 years later I can barely remember any of it! Wink

I used to own Cunningham's version of the crystal/mineral books. It seemed okay.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: February 17, 2011, 01:26:50 pm »

Well boo, is there a single great book on crystals out there??

If there is, I haven't found it yet.  And I've been looking for a long time.  (And I have a geology background -- that's what my BS is in.)

But it makes sense that there isn't a single book, because -- metaphysically speaking -- everyone reacts differently to various rocks, and the stones themselves can vary from specimen to specimen.

I have Melody's book, Hall's book, Simmons/Ahsian's book, and Geinger's book (on Tana's recommendation).  I've spent a lot of time comparing them, and there are very few stones that all four books agree on, in terms of their metaphysical properties.  (The only one that comes immediately to mind is amethyst, which I think they all recommend as a general healing stone.)  I've also looked through a number of "crystal healing" sites and found the same wide variations.

As I said upthread, I've found that my personal reactions tend to be most similar to the info in the Simmons/Ahsian book.  But it's take me a while to figure that out.

The moral of the story, I think, is that you have to learn your reactions through trial and error, rather than relying on an author.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)