The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2020, 02:13:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 02:13:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Crystal Bible  (Read 15238 times) Average Rating: 0
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #15: February 17, 2011, 03:09:55 pm »

The moral of the story, I think, is that you have to learn your reactions through trial and error, rather than relying on an author.

*nod*
I'd never put the book over my personal feeling.
But if I look into a book, I want it to be one like Gienger's.

You can look up stuff in different sources - like you say - and come to different results.
That is why these things can not be proven in a real scientific sense.

Also it takes some time for a stone-newbie to get into the matter.
Therefore I think a book that mentions stuff like origin and composition of the stones, the different trade names and the fakes that are out there, is the best to start with.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am
United States United States

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 17, 2011, 05:11:08 pm »

The moral of the story, I think, is that you have to learn your reactions through trial and error, rather than relying on an author.

So is it even worthwhile to read books about the metaphysical properties of stones?  It seems like it might make more sense to focus on the geology.
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 17, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »

[snip]
Also it takes some time for a stone-newbie to get into the matter.

Ain't that the truth? I pretty much have no idea what the hell I'm doing--flying by the seat of my pants, but it's kind of neatly exciting.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: February 18, 2011, 12:16:45 am »

So is it even worthwhile to read books about the metaphysical properties of stones?  It seems like it might make more sense to focus on the geology.

Speaking as someone with a geology background, I don't think focusing on the geology will teach you much about the metaphysical properties at all.  The geology doesn't seem to have much to do with metaphysical effects.

If you do read a few of the metaphysical books/websites, you'll see that some authors put a lot of emphasis on the color of the stone (e.g., recommending red stones for increasing one's energy, green stones for fertility, black stones for grounding, etc.), while others focus on historical lore (which varies by culture, of course), while others seem to be just pulling "properties" out of thin air.

I love stones, always have.  And I really *want* to believe that they have metaphysical properties.  To be flatly honest, though, I'm not convinced.  I do feel like there are a couple of stones that help me ground and shield, and that are somewhat protective, especially obsidian and black tourmaline.  But I've searched high and low for a stone that will help with my medical problems, to absolutely no avail.  Maybe that's because I have particularly intractable health issues.  (Medications don't work, so I guess I shouldn't expect more from stones!  Wink )  Or maybe I haven't found the right stones yet.  Or maybe they DO help, and my problems would be that much worse without the stones.  Who knows?

I'm sorry that seems negative.  I don't mean to be.  I really love stones!  More than almost everyone I know.  But I just can't honestly verify the alleged metaphysical properties with my own experiences.

Your mileage may very well vary.   Wink

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 18, 2011, 08:06:03 am »

I love stones, always have.  And I really *want* to believe that they have metaphysical properties.  To be flatly honest, though, I'm not convinced.  I do feel like there are a couple of stones that help me ground and shield, and that are somewhat protective, especially obsidian and black tourmaline.  But I've searched high and low for a stone that will help with my medical problems, to absolutely no avail.  Maybe that's because I have particularly intractable health issues.  (Medications don't work, so I guess I shouldn't expect more from stones!  Wink )  Or maybe I haven't found the right stones yet.  Or maybe they DO help, and my problems would be that much worse without the stones.  Who knows?

I feel a lot like you do.  I've always loved stones, I still have some that I collected as a child, and when I'd travel for work, I'd always find some stones to bring home with me.  It wasn't till recently that I began to explore the metaphysical properties of stones - and just like you, I want very badly to believe that it's true!  I've gotten mixed results so far - citrine did nothing to help me feel more positive, aquamarine did nothing to help me feel calm and serene... but the amethyst under my pillow seems to have helped my insomnia, and my Himalayan quartz completely took away my hip pain the other day.  I'm going to keep trying... worst case is that I end up with a collection of pretty things to look at.  Wink

Could you recommend to me a good geology book?  I have that collection of stones from when I'd travel, but I honestly don't know what most of them are.  I was thinking of getting the Peterson field guide to minerals, but I've read that it's a pretty advanced book.  I'm not sure if my background as an environmental scientist with just a few geology classes under my belt would be enough to make sense of it?
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #20: February 18, 2011, 08:12:07 am »

Could you recommend to me a good geology book?  I have that collection of stones from when I'd travel, but I honestly don't know what most of them are.  I was thinking of getting the Peterson field guide to minerals, but I've read that it's a pretty advanced book.  I'm not sure if my background as an environmental scientist with just a few geology classes under my belt would be enough to make sense of it?

You might want to try the large Gienger book.
He is pretty detailed on the origin of the stones and the composition and he is the initiatior of a huge project concerning the use of healing stones.
So esp. the physical usages of healing stone is somewhat tested, because it bases on the testing results of hundreds of people. (That is as scientific as something like Healing stones can get I guess. Wink)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 18, 2011, 08:15:13 am »

You might want to try the large Gienger book.
He is pretty detailed on the origin of the stones and the composition and he is the initiatior of a huge project concerning the use of healing stones.
So esp. the physical usages of healing stone is somewhat tested, because it bases on the testing results of hundreds of people. (That is as scientific as something like Healing stones can get I guess. Wink)

Is this the right one?  I have an Amazon gift card just waiting to be spent.  Wink

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Power-Healing-Complete-Handbook/dp/0713726776/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298034797&sr=1-1
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #22: February 18, 2011, 10:51:12 am »

Cant say 100% sure, if this is the one I got, but you cant go wrong with it.
He really is a good author.
(The reviews speak a clear language too, I guess. Wink)

salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 18, 2011, 11:25:10 am »

(The reviews speak a clear language too, I guess. Wink)

It looks like it will be a good book, and I have faith in your recommendation. Wink As for the Amazon reviews... I don't always trust them.  The Crystal Bible got great reviews, as do Melody's books.  But most folks here seem to feel otherwise.  Individual perception, YMMV, etc.  Cheesy
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: February 18, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »

I have Geinger's book, too, and I have mixed feelings about it.

The first half of the book is mostly the geology.  To be honest, I didn't read it, because I'm already conversant with the subject.  Flipping through it just now, that section does look pretty good -- clear language, good illustrations, etc.  However, I think he mixes some of the metaphysics in with the geology, so I'd advise extra-careful critical reading.

The second half of the book is the individual entries.  One thing to know up front is that this section is alphabetized on order of the *German* names of the rocks, even though the book has been completely translated into English.  Also, a couple of the names of stones are different in German, but there's a little key to that, so it's easy to figure out.

The individual entries are mostly pretty good, I think.  He gives brief mineralogical info, followed by the stone's mythological mentions, if any.  The entries also include the kind of healing info you find in most of the books: spiritual healing, emotional healing, mental healing, and physical healing.  And there are excellent photographs.

My reservation is that my personal reactions to rocks (when I can feel confident that I've actually had a reaction) are mostly different from what the author describes.  This is a good example of the various authors disagreeing.

All that said, though, if you really want a book on the metaphysical properties, this books is as good as all the others, and better than most, IMO.  And it has the best geology and minerology sections than any of the metaphysical books I've seen.

FWIW and YMMV, of course.   Wink

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: February 18, 2011, 09:09:59 pm »

Honestly, I've been out of the field for so long, I don't really feel comfortable making a recommendation.  I'm not up to date on recent publications.  But I might have something in my library that I can suggest.

Are you looking for general geology -- metamorphic, igneous, and sedimentary rocks, etc. -- or more of a field guide to the kinds of gem and mineral specimens you'd see at a gem/rock show?  Or something different all together?

~ Aster

salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 19, 2011, 10:07:09 am »

Are you looking for general geology -- metamorphic, igneous, and sedimentary rocks, etc. -- or more of a field guide to the kinds of gem and mineral specimens you'd see at a gem/rock show?  Or something different all together?

I need a field guide that will help me identify the rocks I already own, but I need one that won't identify using advanced terminology that I might not be familiar with.  Does that make sense?
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 21, 2011, 09:13:02 am »

I was thumbing through this book last night, and I noticed that Hall lists the U.S., Spain, Mexico, and Tanzania as sources for Herkimer Diamonds.  I thought Herkimer Diamonds came only from the mine in Herkimer, NY... hence the name??  Is this an error on the author's behalf?  Huh
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 21, 2011, 10:34:12 am »

Herkimer diamond is a generic name for double-terminated quartz crystals, which were first discovered in exposed outcrops of dolostone at Little Falls in Herkimer County, New York and the Mohawk River Valley.
That's from Wiki.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)