The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 10:14:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 10:14:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Having Self-Esteem While Fat  (Read 28774 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #90: March 24, 2011, 03:22:44 pm »

I really believe my synthroid needs to be increased. The last time I saw my endo, I was at 2.8.  I was feeling pretty ok for a while, but not now. She keeps telling to me to exercise more and eat less, and she may be right, but I know there's more going on here.

I think you're right. A lot of people feel better with a lower TSH (even though 2.8 is technically 'normal'.) I was non-functional at 3.0, so I believe this.

On the rest of it - while 7 weeks is a long wait, I know it's pretty typical for a lot of endos: both because there aren't as many of them as some other specialities, and because they tend to see a lot of people for a longer period of time, but need time between to see how medications work. I know with the one I was seeing, booking anything 4-8 weeks out basically relied on there being an unexpected gap in the schedule.

If you haven't had your Vitamin D tested, I'd ask about that too: it wouldn't explain the weight gain, but it would explain some continuing exhaustion and feeling lousy. We're right at the point where people who are deficient feel worst (tail end of the winter, before we start getting enough sun at a high enough angle to feel better.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #91: March 24, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »

I think maybe she sees a woman who just wants to be thin and she's so worried about giving me too much medication, that she isn't giving me enough.

I had a strange experience that touches on this recently. I'm currently in the process of applying for and jumping through the various hoops associated with a federal position. Due to the type of job I'm required to undergo and complete a medical evaluation. Part of the massive amount of paperwork associated asks about endocrine disorders etc so naturally I disclosed that I've got hypothyroidism. Once I was being seen by the doctor and actually examined she started to ask me about my condition and medication etc. She seemed A) genuinely surprised that I was being given synthetic hormones designed for Hypothyroidism *for* hypothyroidism (as opposed to weight loss) and B) she grilled me pretty thoroughly regarding my pre and post medication symptoms. It was interesting and a bit disturbing. I'd be the first to say that yes, I've lost about 10 lbs on the medication BUT taking a medication that fracks with your ENDOCRINE system *just* to lose weight is so incredibly dangerous and short sighted that I am flabbergasted any legitimate physician would or could in good conscience prescribe it.

It disturbs me on two levels. One, that knowledge of these prescriptive behaviors by other physicians will inevitably convince already jaded fatphobic physicians to presume/assume that their heavy patients reporting thyroid symptoms are actually displaying drug seeking behaviors and two that our medical system has devolved to a state where looks and societal acceptance trump medical necessity and health (not shocking I know as it's been a steady decline if there ever was a golden time when a woman's health trumped her appearance, but still).

:/

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #92: March 24, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »

I think you're right. A lot of people feel better with a lower TSH (even though 2.8 is technically 'normal'.) I was non-functional at 3.0, so I believe this.

This is what I don't get. I've heard so many people say the same thing about that "normal" range. Why is there so much resistance from doctors when you tell them something isn't isn't working for you (general you)?

On the rest of it - while 7 weeks is a long wait, I know it's pretty typical for a lot of endos: both because there aren't as many of them as some other specialities, and because they tend to see a lot of people for a longer period of time, but need time between to see how medications work. I know with the one I was seeing, booking anything 4-8 weeks out basically relied on there being an unexpected gap in the schedule.

That's one reason that I want to try and make it work with the one that I have. There aren't a lot to choose from. I did a lot of research on this practice, and they looked to be the best available in my area.

If you haven't had your Vitamin D tested, I'd ask about that too: it wouldn't explain the weight gain, but it would explain some continuing exhaustion and feeling lousy. We're right at the point where people who are deficient feel worst (tail end of the winter, before we start getting enough sun at a high enough angle to feel better.)

I have my vitamin D and calcium checked along with my tsh levels every 6 months now. It was every 3 before my last scan.  The last time was in November and it was all good.  I'm currently taking 3,200 iu of D a day when you combine my multi-vitamin, the extra D in my calcium, and the straight Vitamin D. Who knows, maybe I need more. I'll know after my next blood test.
Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #93: March 24, 2011, 04:13:59 pm »

This is what I don't get. I've heard so many people say the same thing about that "normal" range. Why is there so much resistance from doctors when you tell them something isn't isn't working for you (general you)?

That is something I am wondering many times too. (And I really think it would be time for medicin to take a turn back to caring professionals, that really 'get' it, get the time to do it professionally, fight to have that time to do things right and stand up to insurance companies, but that also don't project so many personal feelings, insecurities, projections and prejudices on patients. Let's not take it into a full rant but my emotions are strong on this subject.)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #94: March 24, 2011, 06:04:34 pm »

Good question.

Part of it is a question of currency: the 'normal range' standards for TSH got reduced (from .5-5 to .2 to 3, I believe: I'm sure about the higher numbers, but might be off on the lower ones) in 2003, but a lot of doctors still go with the old ranges.

But the more complicated part is that the endocrine system is just plain complicated. A wide variety of nutrient deficiencies (even relatively minor ones) can impact how it works. Stress has a huge impact (so you can get a mess of things where some things are adrenal symptoms, and some things are thyroid, and some might be stress, and some things might be stress messing up *other* endocrine systems (like the parathyroid), and it's hard and complicated to work out. And it's not like doctors get a ton of time with each patient.

That's part of why I went into my doctor and my endocrinologist with a list that was symptoms (broken down by body system), *and* a list of "Here's the stuff I'm already doing, and it's not helping enough." (I still have my suspicions that it was that last bit that made my endo go "Ok, there really is something that meds might help.") And even then, I've still had to reverse engineer some things - how to balance healthy movement and exhaustion, figuring out which foods work better and how, etc.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #95: March 24, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »

Your post, and the responses, are a great opportunity to get back to those "Happy Fat Links" I was posting, because you and others kept saying things that made me think, "Hey, that reminds me of [site]" - I was just thinking last night that I'd let this thread slip off my radar, and, lo, here it is revived!  Since I'm not at home, I don't have access to my extensive collection of browser bookmarks, so some of what I'd like to include might have to wait until I go home next week, but I can include quite a few.

I'll probably reply later more specifically to some of the things you said here and my responses, but right now I'm checking out the fabulous links you shared!

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #96: March 24, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »

Anyway, I've decided to try an experiment. I know 4 people who are doing weight watchers, my sister included (for pregnant women),

Oops, scratch that bit about WW for pregnant women. When she first got pregnant she was on WW and she thought there was a plan for pregnancy that she could do. I just found out there isn't. I just wanted to make sure I corrected the information here because I didn't want anyone who might be pregnant thinking it was ok to do WW. Sorry about the misinformation.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.