The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 02:48:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 02:48:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Foods that truly make us feel good  (Read 21167 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 14, 2011, 04:54:02 pm »

Can you define "feel great"?  Potato chips make me feel great while I'm eating them.  But then I feel bloated and listless a half hour later.  The "during" is awesome, though.  Wink

Longer term, was where I was aiming.

With something like the chips, which can be a glitch of mine, too, I've found I'm often either wanting more salt (in which case veggies + butter + salt doesn't make me feel lousy later, but often tastes right when I have the craving too), or something like homemade popcorn (much better oils, since I do mine in a stove-top thing that with coconut oil, and add butter and salt after.) I've gotten to rather like digging into figuring out what food made me feel good later, and what didn't, and what the differences are, and experimenting.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 14, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »

So, here goes - what foods do you eat because they make you feel great? And why do you think that is? I'll add my own next post.

Edamame.  Seapoint farms makes double-serving pouches that can be microwaved for two-and-a-half minutes.  Sprinkled with sea salt, I eat them like peanuts - and the protein fills me up.

I always crave citrus in the winter, and pineapple when I am sick.  No idea why the latter, but it perks me up!

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 14, 2011, 05:05:27 pm »

In this case, trial and error + a bunch of reading that backs it up.

Two more data points, which I realised might help for context. (Well, data point + resource)

The datapoint is that I'm fairly reliably burning between 2200 calories and 2400 calories, so 1800 is running at a fairly significant deficit. (Based on calculations based on weight, and a pretty accurate count of my activity level: I got a FitBit with some of my holiday money, which tracks all movement while I'm wearing it.) Someone smaller/differently active/etc. is going to have different limits, but that one's about it for me, and has been for a long time.

On more datapoints, one of the things that really got me thinking about both number of calories and food content in a totally different way was learning about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, which was run during WWII to discover what a starvation diet meant - and their definition of 'starvation' was 1560 calories with relatively moderate exercise/exertion.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment has a decent starting writeup, but I really recommend the book by Ted Tucker, _The Great Starvation Experiment_ that came out in 2006 (further details on the Wikipedia writeup). It's simultaneously fascinating (and contributed a lot to understanding how to refeed refugees and concentration camp survivors post-war) and devastating (because of some of the side effects and mental effects of the diet, even in an otherwise very supportive environment.)

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 14, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »

Longer term, was where I was aiming.

With something like the chips, which can be a glitch of mine, too, I've found I'm often either wanting more salt (in which case veggies + butter + salt doesn't make me feel lousy later, but often tastes right when I have the craving too), or something like homemade popcorn (much better oils, since I do mine in a stove-top thing that with coconut oil, and add butter and salt after.) I've gotten to rather like digging into figuring out what food made me feel good later, and what didn't, and what the differences are, and experimenting.

I do enjoy feeding my cravings with better choices that fill (relatively) the same tooth.  Kale chips are my favorite crispy/salty snack (that's still good for you).  I rub on toasted sesame oil a leaf at a time with my bare fingers so that everything is minutely coated.  I did three large bunches of curly kale last weekend using less than a tablespoon of oil.  You get chips that are perfectly, evenly cooked.  Works great with all sorts of crucifers, and with Swiss chard, spinach, and (seriously) Romaine lettuce.

Brina
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:48:43 pm by yewberry » Logged
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 14, 2011, 06:54:47 pm »

I do enjoy feeding my cravings with better choices that fill (relatively) the same tooth.  Kale chips are my favorite crispy/salty snack (that's still good for you).  I rub on toasted sesame oil a leaf at a time with my bare fingers so that everything is minutely coated.  I did three large bunches of curly kale last weekend using less than a tablespoon of oil.  You get chips that are perfectly, evenly cooked.

I adore kale chips: they're one of my great discoveries from last fall. I've got to be moderate with the cruciferous veggies due to the thyroid stuff (still trying ot get a baseline on what's too much), but I hadn't thought to try lettuce! I'll have to give that a go for amusement.

Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 14, 2011, 07:36:22 pm »

what foods do you eat because they make you feel great? And why do you think that is? I'll add my own next post.

Shrimp, Crab, and Lobster. Especially during the summer when I tend to not want red meat or chicken. It's kind of like, protein without "heaviness" and that seems to give me more energy and doesn't make me sleepy at odd hours.

Fruit (mostly berries and peaches)--any way I can get them. Fresh, frozen, canned, freeze dried... (Just Tomatoes makes these awesome freeze dried peaches which I LOVE.) It gives me a quick boost, and eating them in the early afternoon helps me avoid napping and sleep better at night (I'm an insomniac, so that is really important to me.)

Rice. Brown, if I can get it. Otherwise I like the Asian kind that sticks together. I like pasta too, but pasta makes me sleepy and tempts me to nap.

Dark chocolate. (Milk chocolate makes me sick to my stomach) It makes me a bit embarrassed to admit that this is my breakfast of choice. I can’t eat right away when I get up from a deep sleep; it takes a couple of hours for food to look appealing to me, and by then I’m at work. But a small square of dark chocolate and a tall glass of skim milk is something that doesn't turn my stomach even right after I get up. 

Kellogg’s Corn Pops, (dry without any milk)—this is what I eat at school as a mid-morning snack if I get hungry. I love them, but only while I’m at school. Eating them at home feels weird. But I will eat them on car trips. For me, they work like saltine crackers do for other people and keep my stomach calm on a long trip. (I hate saltines)

Hard Boiled Eggs. I never feel bad after eating one or two. (More than that makes me sick, though) Sometimes I can eat them in the morning, but only when I've had a sleepless/toss-and-turn night and wake up hungry.

Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 14, 2011, 07:41:07 pm »

Oh, almost forgot...I swear by raw, unsalted almonds as a remedy for heart burn. My doctor sugested it and it's the only thing that works for me.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #22: February 14, 2011, 08:56:48 pm »

So, here goes - what foods do you eat because they make you feel great? And why do you think that is? I'll add my own next post.

For me it's not as much about the specific foods as it is about the schedule.  I absolutely have to start the day with a substantial breakfast, including lots of protein and carbs and preferably fiber. (Most days, this is some sort of grain thing, a cup of lactose-free milk, an egg, and some kind of fruit.  And coffee.)  It goes beyond "this is a good idea"; I get depressed and weepy and sometimes irritable by mid-afternoon if I don't, even if I eat well the rest of the day.  There's a progression of snacks and smaller meals that carries me through the day, usually.  I've never really figured out if it's a calorie thing or a blood sugar thing or even just a psychological thing, but...

I try to listen to my body's cravings somewhat, too.  Usually that helps me keep the schedule on-track and keep everything going smoothly without having to obsess over it.  I just have to know the difference between a true craving and a passing fancy or a desire for comfort.  Wink  Also, it turns out that it's really important for me to do this around PMS-week, when I apparently need to eat more to stay on an even keel, which I didn't realize until I started paying more attention to cravings than to calorie counts and charts of what I "should" be eating.  (These past couple of days, though, I have been super-craving sugar, and I'm not really sure what's up with that.  The purer, the better, too--chocolate doesn't really satisfy the craving, but gumdrops do.  In the past that's meant I'm dehydrated, but hydration doesn't seem to help just now.)

I do find that long-term, "healthy" foods (beans, whole grains, fruits and veg, a varied diet, etc.) make me feel good.  I'm not sure how much of that is just me feeling good about doing something "right", though, and how much is inherent in the food itself.  I think it's probably a combination.  On similar lines, eating things that are produced locally (or, better, handmade by myself or someone close to me--Hubby bakes!) make me feel good, but I really do think that's largely about feeling emotionally good as a result of making a choice I believe to be positive rather than feeling physically good as a result of some inherent quality of the food.  But, hey. That counts too, right?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 14, 2011, 10:25:31 pm »

For me, it's a really good veggie sandwich (my fave is the veggie patty sub at Subway, piled high with vegetables, especially spinach and bell peppers, and chipotle sauce) or other vegetarian protein. For some reason, meat, especially the fatty red meats of which my mother is so fond, tends to make me feel sluggish, bloated, and weighed down. And since I quit smoking, I need all the help I can get NOT to feel that way. I had some General Tso's tofu with broccoli earlier, and that was fantastic.

live oak
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2011, 01:19:19 pm

Religion: Pagan

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 14, 2011, 11:40:56 pm »

For me it's not as much about the specific foods as it is about the schedule. 

I'm this way as well. I have particular things that I "have" to eat at certain times to feel good. For breakfast, coffee with cream, fruit and toast or oatmeal works. Midday a big salad and vegetarian protein is awesome, by the late afternoon I want carbs--usually another slice of toast--and then by evening I want a substantial protein and salad/vegetables but not really any grains or pasta.

It's weird, but after a few years of tinkering this is the schedule that works.

Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 15, 2011, 12:26:55 am »

Vegemite on toast. Maybe because of all the Vitamin B or simply because I am not eating something worse but it always makes me feel much better than other things. Also a really nice chicken and salad sandwich if the bread is fresh. Raw vegies and dip are a great snack for me because I feel like I am still getting the fat I want but without the kilojoules and I really really love capsicum to the point where people think its strange.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 15, 2011, 08:49:04 am »

Oh, almost forgot...I swear by raw, unsalted almonds as a remedy for heart burn. My doctor sugested it and it's the only thing that works for me.

I use my homemade kimchi for stomach issues.  Just a couple bites and acid indigestion is gone.  I try to eat a little every day to keep my gut bacteria in balance.  I like it lots more than yogurt most of the time. 

Brina
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 15, 2011, 09:37:56 am »

...I had some General Tso's tofu with broccoli earlier, and that was fantastic.

Oooh!  If your local place does a good General Tso's, try Kung Pao tofu (bean curd) and mix in some steamed veggies.  That's my favorite take out meal!

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 15, 2011, 11:42:57 am »

I use my homemade kimchi for stomach issues.  Just a couple bites and acid indigestion is gone.  I try to eat a little every day to keep my gut bacteria in balance.  I like it lots more than yogurt most of the time. 

Brina

Or a tablespoon of cider vinegar in warm water.  Works great.

AntlerandHerb.com
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 15, 2011, 11:50:18 am »

It seems like everything I eat revolves around what supplements I have to take and when. For breakfast, it's v-8 vegetable juice, calcium and vit.D. I'm not usually hungry before noon, but I have to take the supplements at 10am. The v-8 puts a little something in my belly so I don't get sick.

I also find that I feel best when I have a little of everything (carbs, protein and fruit/veg) with each meal. So lunch will usually be some kind of cheese (I'm not a huge fan of deli meats) sandwich on multi grain bread, a muti-vitamin, and a vit. C supplement.

Dinner= more calcium, vit D, and whatever my husband decides to cook that night.

I eat a lot of spinach. I don't know why, but it makes me feel great. I'll use it instead of lettuce in salads, or on sandwiches. We have it fairly often with dinner. I just love the stuff. I like apples, bananas and grapes. I love dark chocolate.

Timing has a lot to do with it too. If I eat anything heavy after 7pm I don't sleep well.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)