The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 04, 2021, 09:57:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2021, 09:57:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Foods that truly make us feel good  (Read 20804 times)
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: February 15, 2011, 12:41:20 pm »

So, here goes - what foods do you eat because they make you feel great? And why do you think that is? I'll add my own next post.

For dinner, I love a good medium-rare steak.  When I'm craving a salty snack I adore sliced tomatoes with just a little salt sprinkled on them, yum.  Bananas are a treat anytime, anywhere.  Junk is great to eat, but makes me feel terrible afterwards.  My body responds best to simple, unprocessed foods. 

I have a hard time eating when I first wake up so preferences are usually light and sweet- a cup of fruity herbal tea or hot cocoa, a piece of fruit, or a glass of cold fruit juice.  I had a hard time last year when hubby and I were in Italy because breakfast was typically a sandwich and my stomach turned at the thought of meat and cheese at 6:30am. 

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: February 15, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »

Related to the "Self-Esteem while fat" discussion, I thought it might be cool to have a discussion of food that *isn't* tied to dieting or losing weight, but is instead tied to other things that make our bodies feel good. (I mentioned that currently optimise for brain, for example, and food choices are part of that for me.) 

So, here goes - what foods do you eat because they make you feel great? And why do you think that is? I'll add my own next post.

Anything spicy, really. HOT WINGS, baby.  Or anything extremely tart or sour.  Extremes do it for me. I have concluded that, since I have an addict's genes, that little floodgate in my brain that allows the Happy Response to come from things that make one happy (say, eating stuff) open up a little TOO much when I have those foods (or drink, or whatever), so I not only enjoy the extremes more, I crave them more. The brain gets the hardcore YAY response from whatever things like that I'm eating.

Oh, and lime Mi Wadi squash (lime concentrate from Ireland).. that makes me incredibly happy... I can drink it straight, without watering it down. Part of that is above-mentioned genes, part of it is because I associate it with my time in Ireland and my ex-fiance... it's a taste-memory for me.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: February 15, 2011, 08:16:50 pm »

I hadn't thought to try lettuce! I'll have to give that a go for amusement.

I recommend using a flavorful oil, like toasted sesame, nut, or any seasoned/spiced oil.  Unlike kale, Romaine doesn't have a lot of flavor of its own.

Brina
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #33: February 15, 2011, 08:41:25 pm »

I recommend using a flavorful oil, like toasted sesame, nut, or any seasoned/spiced oil.  Unlike kale, Romaine doesn't have a lot of flavor of its own.

Thanks! (Kale, much as I like it, is on the list of 'foods that do have some thyroid-blocking components, though less when cooked, so I should not perhaps base my entire diet on it'. Which if I made as many kale chips as I'd really like, might become a lot more true.

Today's addition to 'foods that I always forget how much I adore, and how yummy they are until I have them" is tzatiki sauce (cucumbers, garlic, yogurt, etc.) I really do need to perfect my own recipe for it: the current batch is from Trader Joe's, which is a hair thin for my preference, but otherwise beautifully yummy.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 16, 2011, 12:39:21 am »

Thanks! (Kale, much as I like it, is on the list of 'foods that do have some thyroid-blocking components, though less when cooked, so I should not perhaps base my entire diet on it'. Which if I made as many kale chips as I'd really like, might become a lot more true.

Today's addition to 'foods that I always forget how much I adore, and how yummy they are until I have them" is tzatiki sauce (cucumbers, garlic, yogurt, etc.) I really do need to perfect my own recipe for it: the current batch is from Trader Joe's, which is a hair thin for my preference, but otherwise beautifully yummy.

I adore tzatziki, I'm lucky enough to have an awesome local Greek restaurant that makes a really great fresh version.

I've never really tried Kale although I've also got a messed up thyroid so I kinda shelved it along with the other questionable foods and herbs. Maybe I'll give it a shot Smiley

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: February 16, 2011, 12:56:13 am »

I adore tzatziki, I'm lucky enough to have an awesome local Greek restaurant that makes a really great fresh version.

I've never really tried Kale although I've also got a messed up thyroid so I kinda shelved it along with the other questionable foods and herbs. Maybe I'll give it a shot Smiley
I don't know if you can find it but a nightly tea made with young mango leaves has proven itself quite effective. I recommended it to a friend of mine who works in Dept. of Health and she is no longer taking her medication for it.

Please help my babies with a click.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #36: February 16, 2011, 01:30:34 am »

Cream cheese and avocado on a tortilla with salsa, bell pepper and jalapeno rolled up...

I will go days eating this.  I get food obsessions where I eat nothing but the same food for a bit and this is one of my recurring faves.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 16, 2011, 03:57:00 am »

I really like this thread but find it difficult to answer because feeling great's tied up both with how my body actually feels and also with the self-approval I feel for conforming to social standards for healthful+weightloss eating. So for me, at least, I don't think it's feasible to separate foods which make me feel good from foods for dieting, since the overlap between the two is what feels best.

Having said that, sometimes I get my emotional kicks from something else, eg the sense of satisfaction from cooking something from scratch, or feeling that I deserve the indulgence after a day of solid work.  Smiley

Anyway, some things that come to mind:

Warm, freshly-cooked rice with a fried egg and kicap (sweet dark soy sauce), ie peasant Asian food.

Starting the day with buttered toast topped with some sort of protein, eg eggs or tuna (which I should do more because I tend to skip breakfast).

A glass of orange juice after exercising.

Prawns with lots of light mayonnaise.

Lettuce. I hate eating veg with my mains, but I like crunching on raw salad. I love crunching through a third of a head of lettuce while making dinner.

A handful of roasted peanuts when I'm passing through the kitchen.

A mug of black tea, milk and no sugar.

Warm couscous.

Bananas, chilled green grapes, chilled blueberries, chilled peaches, in fact citrus-y fruits of various kinds right out of the fridge.

I might like the taste of other stuff a lot more (DORITOS DORITOS DORITOS) but it usually leaves me feeling bloated and kinda crappy afterwards.

One thing I did learn from diet books which actually makes me feel good is to add more protein rather than carbs to my meals. The dieting reason is that they make you feel fuller and generally have fewer calories than carbs and fat, but personally I feel more satisfied and energetic too.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #38: February 16, 2011, 04:31:45 am »

One of my go-to favs is Greek yogurt. It's thicker and much tarter than regular yogurt. It also seems to settle and even out my stomach. It's supposed to be higher in protein and lower in fat than normal yogurt as well.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: February 16, 2011, 10:53:59 am »

I don't know if you can find it but a nightly tea made with young mango leaves has proven itself quite effective. I recommended it to a friend of mine who works in Dept. of Health and she is no longer taking her medication for it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but do you mean that she stopped taking her thyroid medication in favor of mango leaf tea? Because, that could be very dangerous.
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: February 16, 2011, 11:08:47 am »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but do you mean that she stopped taking her thyroid medication in favor of mango leaf tea? Because, that could be very dangerous.
Nope, after taking the tea since 2007 she has since no longer needed her medication according to her doctors. Her thyroid is apparently acting normal now. I saw her 2 days ago and she mentioned that she still drinks it for general wellness. Traditional use has als shown it to be effective in treating diabetes, not so much as an insulin replicator but rather in getting the body to naturally process carbohydrates more effectively again. My grandmother took it along with some other traditional supplements and she no longer has diabetes. She still uses Splenda occasionally as a preventative measure, but is happy to be friends with sugar again.

Please help my babies with a click.
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: February 16, 2011, 02:10:25 pm »

Nope, after taking the tea since 2007 she has since no longer needed her medication according to her doctors. Her thyroid is apparently acting normal now. I saw her 2 days ago and she mentioned that she still drinks it for general wellness. Traditional use has als shown it to be effective in treating diabetes, not so much as an insulin replicator but rather in getting the body to naturally process carbohydrates more effectively again. My grandmother took it along with some other traditional supplements and she no longer has diabetes. She still uses Splenda occasionally as a preventative measure, but is happy to be friends with sugar again.

Seriously?!  I need to find some, then.  While I'm not yet on medication for diabetes (treating with healthy food and exercise), this might help me combat the disease for good.

At least I'm hoping.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: February 16, 2011, 05:20:40 pm »

Seriously?!  I need to find some, then.  While I'm not yet on medication for diabetes (treating with healthy food and exercise), this might help me combat the disease for good.

At least I'm hoping.

For some (like me and others I've connected with), eating a low glycemic-index diet (as in the foods you eat regularly, not as in "one letter more than DIE") has done the trick with no ill effects. Teas aren't necessarily a bad thing, obviously, but depending on one to fix what a healthy diet can do might not be the better option. YMMV of course, especially since you say you're already eating healthily and exercising.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #43: February 16, 2011, 07:22:18 pm »

Interesting. My doc told me that sometimes thyroid problems naturally resolve themselves but it's very rare. I'll have to look for some of this tea, I'm a huge tea drinker anyway and if it can help then why not Smiley

catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: February 17, 2011, 11:24:00 am »

So she continued her meds, but added the tea?

I do know one woman who had thyroid problems when she was a child. She was on medication until her thyroid started functioning properly on it's own. Now, as an adult she's fine. So, I know it's possible for some people under certain circumstances. I also have no problem with herbal/natural treatments being used along side medications under a doctor's supervision. I think what worries me, is when an herbal therapy is expected to cure what could be a very serious illness. Perhaps the tea helped in her situation, but I have serious doubts that it lead to a cure of any kind. I'd love to see some research on it, though. Do you have anything that would quiet the skeptic in me? 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)