The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 26, 2020, 08:05:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2020, 08:05:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fluffy Bunnies and "Myth"conceptions - what makes you angry?  (Read 30121 times)
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 17, 2011, 11:51:00 am »

As a follow-up to my pet peeve thread, I thought we also needed one for discussion of the serious mangling of beliefs/worship/ritual that occurs all-too-often in the "pagan" community.

My top issue lies with the God Collectors.  You all know the ones of whom I speak - the people that proudly give a long list of the names of the deities they "work with" as if they were a stamp collection.  The people that would rather add new gods instead of trying to find out what their current gods want from them and work on it.  The people that make me want to start screaming at the top of my lungs, "Gods are NOT Pokemon!"

*breathes in, breathes out*

So, what ticks you off?

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 17, 2011, 12:04:01 pm »

As a follow-up to my pet peeve thread, I thought we also needed one for discussion of the serious mangling of beliefs/worship/ritual that occurs all-too-often in the "pagan" community.

Mine is sticking me in a Neo-Wiccan, rainbows and unicorns box.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 17, 2011, 12:06:14 pm »

My top issue lies with the God Collectors.  You all know the ones of whom I speak - the people that proudly give a long list of the names of the deities they "work with" as if they were a stamp collection.  The people that would rather add new gods instead of trying to find out what their current gods want from them and work on it.  The people that make me want to start screaming at the top of my lungs, "Gods are NOT Pokemon!"

*breathes in, breathes out*

So, what ticks you off?

People that try to pigeonhole everyone into pop-book-Wicca.

People that treat gods as interchangeable - When they pick a name that sounds nice and then give them the COMPLETELY WRONG ATTRIBUTES.

oh, and weird "feminist" theology that basically works out to men being the evil ones and if women were in charge everything would be rainbow farts.  ARGH.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 17, 2011, 02:39:21 pm »

So, what ticks you off?

When people get the wrong impression of Gods. It ranges from "Oh, Anubis is a god of the dead so obviously he's evil" to "You can meet Anubis on the astral plane, but he is more of a judge than a god, so just respect him, don't worship him. Oh, he also wears a horrifying dog mask, but if you parley well, you can have him erase your debts."

I've actually read the latter online before, with worse spelling. I flew into a rage.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 17, 2011, 03:09:17 pm »

The people that make me want to start screaming at the top of my lungs, "Gods are NOT Pokemon!"

I smell a potential franchise in this...

Oh damn. Someone beat me to it.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 17, 2011, 03:28:32 pm »

oh, and weird "feminist" theology that basically works out to men being the evil ones and if women were in charge everything would be rainbow farts.  ARGH.
actually it was this feminist thing that kept me from looking into Hecate and almost any Greek female deities.

but those lewellyn books where they just randomly give you this giant year long variety of rituals and spells to do that involve every deity out there,but with no disclaimers about it.
in fact most of them either mention nothing about that it might not be helpful to not choose particular deities to work with instead of all of them or say that it DOESN'T matter and you can pick the appropriate deity willynilly like picking the appropriate incense to go with your spell!!!!
O.o

Arynn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:56:41 pm

Religion: ADF Dedicant; Follower of Persephone

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 17, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »

So, what ticks you off?

People who don't READ. Who don't do research! Who don't educate themselves! You need to go and do the research before you declare yourself a follower of ANY God or Goddess, or any specific tradition! And even if you want to be eclectic, or a mix, that's perfectly fine, but learn about the things you borrow from, use and incorporate...people who just throw out names, or make assumptions without the research (basically, everything that has already been noted about false assumptions of Gods, etc)...that's not taking religion seriously, in my opinion.

Ancestry, UPG - all that stuff is legitimate and important, but after having those experiences or finding out about your people, go read about it! Learn everything you can - especially for the reconstructionist religions: the writings of the ancients are really valuable! (And that does go for any religion, actually, even the non-Pagan ones) Only after educating ourselves (and then trying things out) can we decide what does or does not work for us. Only after educating ourselves can we partake in serious religious discussions, where personal experience becomes just as valid as the research and learning we do about our personal experiences and the religions we are interested in. From there we can start to analyze more closely and "fill in the blanks" and create a personal practice based on educated opinion. Opinions become so much more credible with learning and research and seeing what other people before you have said/written about/etc.

On that note too, people who are afraid to ask questions annoy me (though I know it can be sort of scary to ask sometimes, especially with people you don't know...) But asking questions helps everyone to learn more! And learning = ^_^

~Arynn~

"...Read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body."
Walt Whitman

General spiritual blog: http://greetingnewlight.wordpress.com/

ADF Dedicant blog: http://walkingthehighroad.wordpress.com/
Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 17, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »

So, what ticks you off?
When someone tells me that I'm practicing my religion wrong. Really? Cuz I did the research. I've read the history. I've made my peace with God so I really wish that they'd just mind their own path and leave me to mind mine. Except that apparently if I *don't* try to convert everyone around me, I'm still doin it rong. *sigh*  Roll Eyes

Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 17, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »

When people get the wrong impression of Gods. It ranges from "Oh, Anubis is a god of the dead so obviously he's evil" to "You can meet Anubis on the astral plane, but he is more of a judge than a god, so just respect him, don't worship him. Oh, he also wears a horrifying dog mask, but if you parley well, you can have him erase your debts."

I've actually read the latter online before, with worse spelling. I flew into a rage.
OMG! Firaza, I feel for you. I have had someonee tell me about Hekate (and you know astral projecting is utterly infallible Wink ), and I was basically told how she is a sneaky harlot who likes to play tricks on people for shits and giggles. All I could do was laugh and facepalm.

Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 17, 2011, 08:34:20 pm »

So, what ticks you off?
Ohoho.

Well, I rage at blatantly bad history. Some errors I can forgive and let slide, because I have, and even still do it from time to time (pobodies nerfect!). But when people get all flustered and angry when you nicely tell them that their information is wrong.

Other things that grind my gears:

- white washing history, spirits or gods, anytime someone tells me how the fey and angels are the same thing makes me roll my eyes.

- whenever people look down on hard polytheism as being silly, or primitive. The whole "oh, you haven't experienced the love and light of the one true God (tm) yet, but some day you will!". Dems fighting words  Grin

- non-critical thinking when it comes to just about anything. Any time some new age person tells me how thinking can get *in* the way of your (it's always 'your') truth. I slowly back away.

Just some off the top of my head lol
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: February 17, 2011, 08:38:24 pm »

Mine is sticking me in a Neo-Wiccan, rainbows and unicorns box.

This.  It's always been a rather large annoyance for me, but lately I seem to have Issues with being stuck in boxes of all sorts, whether the basis is my religion or not.  I wanna build my own box.  <rant snipped>

...Well. There you go, then.  ::sigh::

Also, what Shadow said.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: February 17, 2011, 08:40:32 pm »

This.  It's always been a rather large annoyance for me, but lately I seem to have Issues with being stuck in boxes of all sorts, whether the basis is my religion or not.  I wanna build my own box.  <rant snipped>

...Well. There you go, then.  ::sigh::

Also, what Shadow said.

Oh.  Also, the "there are no rules" thing.  Having rules that you make yourself, or rules that you choose to follow, is not the same as having no rules.  "No One True Way" does not equal "no wrong way" either.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 17, 2011, 09:02:02 pm »

What really ticks me off are people that say certain forms of "medication" are needed for connection with the divine. I keep asking "are the divine retarded?" whenever I hear something along those lines. That somehow they can have some hand in the making of human life and existence as we know it, but can only be communed with in "those" ways!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 18, 2011, 02:22:53 am »

I truly, truly HATE being told that I can't worship Hades because I'm a girl. Why can't I? I know that I'm a girl. I am very well aware of that, thank you so very bloody much. I have been a girl all my life, so I am actually used to the idea by now. The issue I have is:- why should Hades be bothered by the fact? Yes, He is a Deity that deals with death-what's your point? Do only men die?

I also hate being told that I am using my crystals wrong, as in the 'you can't use Rose Quartz for anything other than healing' or 'you can't use Bloodstone for healing, that isn't what it is for'. Word of advice-just watch me! Yes I can. I can use my crystals for anything I choose to, thank you. If it works for me, it works so sod off and come back when you have learned to keep your big mouth very firmly shut!

Rant over now-sorry about that!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 18, 2011, 03:02:05 am »

I truly, truly HATE being told that I can't worship Hades because I'm a girl. Why can't I? I know that I'm a girl. I am very well aware of that, thank you so very bloody much. I have been a girl all my life, so I am actually used to the idea by now. The issue I have is:- why should Hades be bothered by the fact? Yes, He is a Deity that deals with death-what's your point? Do only men die?

I also hate being told that I am using my crystals wrong, as in the 'you can't use Rose Quartz for anything other than healing' or 'you can't use Bloodstone for healing, that isn't what it is for'. Word of advice-just watch me! Yes I can. I can use my crystals for anything I choose to, thank you. If it works for me, it works so sod off and come back when you have learned to keep your big mouth very firmly shut!

Rant over now-sorry about that!
O.o
who told you THOSE things?
none of that makes sense to me on a basic level and I'm no expert sure,but on basic premises why does gender matter to who you can worship? and bloodstones not for healing? they have iron in them! and if you ascribe to the' like things' method of healing ingredients then BLOODstone should be perfect as a blood cleanser etc. etc. bah!
who are these folks? ima go into snappy yappy dog mode and tell em what for,for you.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.